Tallhair's New Hides for the Durango Thread - Opinions sought and welcome

Thanks ... I'm leaning toward one of the Michelins or the Destination A/T 31 x 10.5's. Based on the tire rack survey data they are comparable on the noise and ability to get around in light snow. The Michelins are $120 more.

I know Michelin has a great reputation as a company and make good tires ... one buddy has the 20" Michelin LTX A/T2s on 2012 RAM and another has the Firestone Destination A/Ts in 16 or 17" on a 2006 F150. I've ridden in both many times and driven them both and they are both quiet and drive nice. The Michelins may have the edge on handling but they are on are 20's on a more modern truck/suspension so probably not too comparable to the 15's and suspension on my 99 Durango.

Anyone have Pro or Con experience with the Firestone Destination A/T or recommend anything in comparable price I'm not thinking of/ don't have listed above?

And does 86K and 17 years sound like the Durango should be long overdue for new shocks? I'm assuming the answer is yes but the handling and ride has not changed significantly over the years that I've noticed ... it's always been rough as hell over non-smooth roads even when new.

I'm still hanging with one of these choices. Destination L/E or AT or Michelin LTX variants ... probably LTX M/S2

The Destination L/E's are by far the cheapest at two local sources at about $600-$650 out the door. Destination A/Ts are about $100 more and Michelin's are around $800 or more. We don't get much snow and I think I'll be OK with even the L/Es as far as snow.

I'm pretty certain I'm doing the Bisteins ... backs look to be simple enough to change ... how about fronts?

Another question ... can anyone validate there are two separate Firestone A/T tires ?? If so what is the difference?

Firestone A/T

and

Firestone A/T LTR

The Firestone dealer said he couldn't get the Firestone A/T but could get Firestone A/T LTR and said they are two different tires ... the other tire dealer could get the Firestone A/T

I don't see the A/T LTR's on tirerack or Firestone's website. I believe I've heard of them, could they be discontinued?

Not sure if you've already looked but I've gotten a few deals from
desertrat.com sometimes they are the cheapest. Last set I bought from them were 35"x12.50 bfg km2's with mountain crawler steel wheels. I payed 1350 mounted,balanced and delivered to my door. As far as the tires go I'm a fan of the bfg allterrains for d/d use. I've also had good luck with the Hancook a/t's on my 03 Durango.

Back