The 4 speed - She's finished.

Stan, does the new owner participate on this forum? If so, who is he. If he wants to remain anonoymous I can respect that too. Just wondering if he might be at Carlisle this year. I know Minnesota is a long distance commute.

Jed, strangely, doesn't do the forum thingie (smart man, perhaps?). He's in his 40's and is a true (!!!) Mopar guy having owned 20 of them already and he stays pretty busy and doesn't go to shows and stuff. He simply loves to drive Mopars. He's a typical mid-west farm boy who can do just about anything with his bare hands and a tool box.

Sheesh.......

Engine:
Conservative build looking for torque rather than hp (4,800 lbs.).
In short, everything new with Comp Cam Extreme+, .030 over 10.1:1 pistons, Holly 750 , Edelbrock Performer being some highlights. A thousand and one nickle and dime stuff plus over 20 hours of dialing in carb and distributor.
Clutch: McLeod clutch, hydraulic T.O. bearing and I fabbed a master cylinder. I also fabbed up a new clutch and brake pedal asembly.
A-833 24 spline 4 speed, Hurst Comp Plus.
3.55 rear.
Above the purchase price, I put over $10k into it doing ALL the work myself, (nothing farmed out) and the guy that bought it put in another $5k+ over the purchase price and did all the labor himself.
To be show worthy, it still needs a paint job which he'll get around to doing in the future.
It regulary eats new Challenger Hemi's for breakfast with no sweat.

Any chance you could share a little about the fabrication of the pedal assembly?

Funny going back and reading this ..... The guy that owns it bought a Metric Challenger........ So tell me...which is faster

The NYer makes bigger dents, that's for sure.

Any chance you could share a little about the fabrication of the pedal assembly?

In 30 seconds what tooks months....

The Formal cowl and dash and pedals share no similarities so I couldn't use any existing Mopar clutch/brake pedal assy.
The Formal brake pedal assembly is also a major dash frame support. HAD to work with that.

6edvgi.jpg

I looked at a lot of other Clutch/brake assys and chose a mid-90s Jeep setup.

2rmt5d3.jpg

I fabbed up the Jeep pedals to work with the Chrysler bracket.

68bpdx.jpg

Set it up as a Hydraulic Clutch.

2u61irl.jpg

I love that car! The only thing I'd change is the scoops...as in delete them. Just not right on a New Yorker. Different, yes.

I thought for a while about making you an offer on that car back when you had it.

There was a guy locally (2001 or so) that essentially built his own version of a 300-Hurst, without the fiberglass and colors; although it was Spinnaker White, too. Very much like your New Yorker, other than no four speed trans. That was a fun car to schlep around in.

The only thing I'd change is the scoops...as in delete them. Just not right on a New Yorker.
I agree.
And thanks for the compliments.
I feel bad what the second owner did to it.
And I feel bad that #3 owner, Jim (Rush), bought it expecting a 12 second machine. But Jim has done right by that car. He took care of what #2 guy fugged up and some other things.
It was never meant to be an RT-8 killer. It couldn't. It weighs almost 5,000 lbs.
Well, it was an itch that I had since the 80's and I had to scratch it.

Last edited:
I think a six pack hood would of looked more appropriate for a hood scoop on a NYB.

Or leave the hood as it was. Nobody would have complained.
Funny how several innocent little holes in a hood made the entire car and everything that it is the central point of controversy. Just one little momentary lapse of of good taste makes an entire unique car a deal breaker for so many.
There should be a mandatory three day waiting period to purchase bling requiring installation with screws.
An 11 month build offset by 10 minutes with a drill...:BangHead:
That car was one paint job away from being on the cover of Mopar Action.

I would like to find a program somewhere that I can post a picture of my car, and have the ability to try differant paint colors and body modification to see what it would look like.:yaayy:

Too bad they didn't go the cardboard route to see what it would have looked like first....

300_073111b_zpse9288255.jpg

I would like to find a program somewhere that I can post a picture of my car, and have the ability to try differant paint colors and body modification to see what it would look like.:yaayy:

I know what you're talking about, I've seen this once over here in a BMW board regarding original paint choices and found it quite helpful and entertainig. link below. Completely beyond my abilities, I'm already challenged to write an E-Mail. ;)

http://www.e21-board.de/wbb//farbtabelle/metallic.html

The one on the 300 Hurst is as well Fitting even though it's actually for passenger compartment air.

Back