The Admiral's getting paint.

Does it? The Patina was there by neglect or years of weatherization. If a car is driven occasionally and kept indoors, driven in good weather, how bad is it deteriorating?

ON a car not as bad as Wills or Carstens one might apply color back or some other product to bring back the dead paint. Why not a more permanent product such as clear coat? Or leave it as is?

I don't like the idea of doing clear coat to preserve patina. That means you now have shiny patina.

How is that done Chris?
You just add a flattening agent that's compatible with your brand of clear. I do it on interior colors all the time. That way I can use the same color as the exterior on the interior but not have the gloss.

Does it? The Patina was there by neglect or years of weatherization. If a car is driven occasionally and kept indoors, driven in good weather, how bad is it deteriorating?

not happening.
It stays the way it is.

Or you can flatten the clear and not have shiny patina.

My point being that you are doing nothing but trying to preserve a "look" and not original paint.

A car with true "patina" would have different gloss levels on different areas. The areas were the paint isn't worn or weathered will still have near the same gloss as it did when it left the factory and the weathered paint might not have any gloss at all. The hood is going to be different from the door etc. Any coating, flat or glossy is just going to change the look of the car.

and we did the usual stuff.
Changing from a to b, discuss about different things and exchange opinions

Wow...... Lots of strong opinions about "patina". I have a friend who does top level restros and rods who has "created" patina on several nice cars. Including painted on "wear to primer" and painted rust streaks from trim clips etc. It's hard to tell just by looking at it. He tried to convince me to recreate the patina look on the admiral. As several others did.
I don't like the look, in any way. The only place for faded paint, primer and surface rust is in a salvage yard... IMHO.

I would prefer a shiny car too. If I were going through the trouble and expense I would make it pretty....

I would NEVER put clearcoat on any original paint.
Because it is not original.

Again I own some original paint cars with thin and worn original paint.
Some of them since 20+ years.
I do drive them to shows and other occasions but have them stored indoors the rest of time. None of them has gotten worse over the years.

Carsten

Clear coat is trendy and I don't like it much. I respect Carsten's point of view, but it would work better in a dry climate. Here in Florida its too humid and too much sun, the UV would break down what's left of your primer and the humidity would get the rust started in no time.

I don't see the harm in a good quality color matched paintjob, but realize the originality crowd doesn't like it. At some point you have to decide what to do with it when the paint starts to look bad. The line is different for everyone I suppose. I would not paint anything that was only minor blemishes and could clean up, but your blue Polara would need paint if it spent much more time outside in my environment, regardless of season. I don't think wax alone would do it.

I say do what you want on your car. You shouldn't be doing it for anyone else anyway!

Well .... sort of Chris. With due respect I view my role as one of a caretaker. Most likely anything we have will be around well after we are gone and the "caretaker" role will be passed on. I would not feel right about allowing the degeneration of the finish to continue, and snowball.
I think Patina is a fad, or trend that will not be embraced by many in the future, except those who cannot afford, or have the good sense, to do it right. Again, JMHO.

Back