The Admirals new shoe look.

I got the Admirals rear bumper step brackets back from Tri City Plating . They look great. Now I need to figure out what to make the rubber step pads out of.

DSC01776 (Large).jpg

Can you dig up a good pic of how the pad looks new?

These are the original rubber pads that were on the brackets when I got them from Tom. The rubber is vulcanized onto a steel bracket and attached with three studs and nuts.
I should be able to remove the old rubber and restore the brackets by sandblast and new hardware. Just need to locate some heavy rubber with some kind of texture to form new pads from.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I can't believe those are the same steps, I'm so anxious to see the end result you would think it was my car..... any chance of that Will?

I can't believe those are the same steps, I'm so anxious to see the end result you would think it was my car..... any chance of that Will?

Thanks Tom, Yep, same ones you sent. Seeing pictures of the end result......... good.....
Chances of the Admiral being your car.......:nono: Not so good. Not for awile anyways.

Just as well, I can't seem to finish the project I already have!

Will, I was at my local walmart yesterday in the towing section. I saw some non slip step pads there. They're made by Reese towing company, they have a 3m adhesive backing and are 4"x15" in diameter. They sell in a 2 pack. I think they would work for your step grip...

Reese Sure Step Pads.jpg

Reese Sure Step Pads2.jpg

Reese Sure Step Pads3.jpg

Jason, Im sorry I didnt get those pics up like you asked. Im dealing with some medical issues here on the home front but it looks like you got them up. Sorry about that.

Will, I was at my local walmart yesterday in the towing section. I saw some non slip step pads there. They're made by Reese towing company, they have a 3m adhesive backing and are 4"x15" in diameter. They sell in a 2 pack. I think they would work for your step grip...

These are a great option. Thanks for thinking of me. The rubber on my steps measures 11 1/2" x 4", so these might work, look good too.
I ordered a section of ribbed rubber used for vintage car running boards off of ebay. Now I have choices.....
:thinker:

The admirals rear bumper step project update........

attachment.php

attachment.php

Waiting for the rubber I have ordered to arrive before making the final decision on what to use.
A little gas in a metal pan worked great to soften and remove the old rubber from the brackets.

new chrome step (Large).jpg

old rubber 3 (Large).jpg

step pad before (Large).jpg

step pad bracket stripped (Large).jpg

step pad bracket painted (Large).jpg

step pad bracket hwd installed (Large).jpg

bracket on step 2 (Large).jpg

Back