The Admirals new shoe look.

I think the guy who did Will's 300 Convertible passed away a while back sadly.

That's true. Blessing and curse.

I think the guy who did Will's 300 Convertible passed away a while back sadly.

Yes, Darrell passed about eight months ago. I know who I want to paint the car but he doesn't work cheap. I'll catch him on a good day and offer to help with the prep. I'd paint it myself if I could use their booth.

Well, in the purest sense the RWL is a no-no on a 69, OK for 70. And the dog dish caps are a B body thing.
The black tires and deluxe wheel covers is how the Admiral was delivered in 12/68, according to the broadcast sheet.

I prefer the way it looks now. Only thing better would be white walls. (and perhaps road wheels).

I agree 100% with your posting. Every single bit.
RWL are a "no go" for the car, white walls would look great but if it came with black side wall it is fine, too.

Despite your posting there is only one thing I would leave as it is: the paint of course

Carsten

Despite your posting there is only one thing I would leave as it is: the paint of course

Carsten

It seems your in the majority about the paint, (patina). Almost everyone I talk to agrees, I talk to painters and they say..... Just clear coat it...!
I guess I'm too old school to agree. The rat rod and patina trend just doesn't "talk" to me. I vision the Admiral in a fresh coat of OEM quality original color paint with just enough shine to see yourself in it's surface. It's a nostalgia ride back to 1969 for me.

I agree 100% with your posting. Every single bit.
RWL are a "no go" for the car, white walls would look great but if it came with black side wall it is fine, too.

Usually when acquiring a new "old" car the tires and brakes are a top priority for attention. I would not have hesitated to install a set of whitewalls on the Admiral, but the tires, (235x70x15 Cooper Cobra's), have only 2K miles on them, as well as an alignment and pitman arm when installed.
So it will be awhile before tires are needed. The brakes, including all hydraulics and hoses, were new along with a complete dual exhaust system and a windshield. It was an instant driver.

It seems your in the majority about the paint, (patina). Almost everyone I talk to agrees, I talk to painters and they say..... Just clear coat it...!
I guess I'm too old school to agree. The rat rod and patina trend just doesn't "talk" to me. I vision the Admiral in a fresh coat of OEM quality original color paint with just enough shine to see yourself in it's surface. It's a nostalgia ride back to 1969 for me.

This paint is too far gone IMHO. Non existing paint, primer, Surface rust has nothing to do with original paint in a true sense. If it's gone it's gone.

I don't like "patina" either in most cases. Exceptions might be a very historical car that has never been touched.

This paint is too far gone IMHO. Non existing paint, primer, Surface rust has nothing to do with original paint in a true sense. If it's gone it's gone.

Right, which means it doesnt actually have patina

"Patina" is what you see there - faded original paint with the factory primer showing on the roof. NOT a rusty bomb with added primer and other colors to add artificial "character".

Personally, I like bright and shiny paint, or an original paint with most if not all of the original paint that is slightly shiny. If you have the wherewithal to paint the car, I'd do precisely that.

If you can hold the present condition and prevent further deterioration, it's Patina.
If you can't hold the present condition from preventing further deterioration, it's rust.

Posted via Topify on Android

I'd try to have it repainted in single stage however personally, I think Stan's NYB had it done this way, so it should still be available.

I'd try to have it repainted in single stage however personally, I think Stan's NYB had it done this way, so it should still be available.

Acrylic enamel is what was used on it when produced. It is still available but it's tough to find anyone who likes to spray it anymore.
Cost wise, it's about the same using it or base/clear. Base/clear will provide better UV protection.

Back