The Admirals new shoe look.

The only good reason to use a single stage metallic is if you want it to look like a typically lousy factory paint job. There are no other benefits to using it.

Chris, I make no bones about it. It looks like a typical lousy factory paint job.
My paint was simply a recover. It wasn't primed, blocked, sanded, repeat.
I did more of a maintenance thing (keep the car looking good) rather than a restoration thing.
When I bring it in to you in 2019, it will get a killer paint job. :D

Posted via Topify on Android

When I get a car repaint I want it to look exactly as bad as new.
It is called restoration.

I don't want a glossy shiny paintjob

I'm with Carsten, despite having to know better.

Will, do you happen to have an address for ordering single stage met. in the states ?
I happen to have a GM/Opel that was done in silver from the factory which should be a 57 Chevrolet Color.

Will, do you happen to have an address for ordering single stage met. in the states ?
I happen to have a GM/Opel that was done in silver from the factory which should be a 57 Chevrolet Color.

Try the O'reilleys web site. They offer a paint mixing service (PPG), and the local store to me mixed Jazebelles R6 Crimson.
I inquired about the acrylic enamel silver metallic A4 paint for the Admiral. Two gallons of acrylic enamel with hardner would cost around $400.00.

You should be able to find the paint #'s and/or formulas online.

It seems your in the majority about the paint, (patina). Almost everyone I talk to agrees, I talk to painters and they say..... Just clear coat it...!
I guess I'm too old school to agree. The rat rod and patina trend just doesn't "talk" to me. I vision the Admiral in a fresh coat of OEM quality original color paint with just enough shine to see yourself in it's surface. It's a nostalgia ride back to 1969 for me.
I agree Will with everything you have said about the paint. I too am not a patina fan and a paint job in the original color I think is the correct thing to do. Especially in that color it looks great on the wagon. I like what you have done with the wheels too. I think I would have restored it exactly the way you have. Nice job and hope it makes it to Carlisle this year. Looking forward to seeing the finished product and visiting with you!

Usually when acquiring a new "old" car the tires and brakes are a top priority for attention. I would not have hesitated to install a set of whitewalls on the Admiral, but the tires, (235x70x15 Cooper Cobra's), have only 2K miles on them, as well as an alignment and pitman arm when installed.
So it will be awhile before tires are needed. The brakes, including all hydraulics and hoses, were new along with a complete dual exhaust system and a windshield. It was an instant driver.

Will, how old are the tires?

The tires on my Newport don't have any miles on them but they are 25 years old....they will be recycled. I believe at least one of the steel belts is messed up. I could feel it when I drove it a block to load on the U-Haul. Almost felt like a flat tire. I replace all tires when they hit the 7 year mark no matter how much tread is left on them.

I bought a car once in 2007 that still had two of the original 1971 high Speed tires on. I drove it home, but passed on trying out if they still were capable of doing 130 mph. I think they would have been good for 100 k miles with that hard rubber. ;)

Will, how old are the tires?

I have the invoice that shows they were installed as well as a new idler arm and alignment done a year and a half ago. Should be good to go for awile.

I talked to a local painter about spraying the car. If I strip all the trim and supply the paint he will do the job, including fixing a couple of minor dents, prep and primer, for $1800-2000.00. That's original color and just the exterior, no jambs. It's about what I expected for a good job.

The time the cars in the paint shop will allow me to buff and polish all the trim, which is in pretty good shape. I already have a rechrome rear bumper and Tom sent the rear steps he found. I've sent them to the chrome shop already. The rear seat cushion is at the trimmer for new inserts, I found a dash pad, and have new carpet and sound deadner ready to go in.
I'm waiting for a quote from SMS to replace all the heat stamped cargo floor covering.

I'm leaning towards towing the pop up to Carlisle with it. The hitch I made for Jazebelle will directly bolt up to the Admiral.

Best choice for you, Bob especially as you have it parked outside often.

I should go with a base/clear for my NYB too?

It will offer better UV protection, Easier to keep maintained and polished, More durable then enamel. Enamel is tough to spray without getting "stuff" in the surface during the drying process, most painters don't like spraying it.

He's not gonna make any money on that paint job. That's a lot of car to prep and paint. After paint and material cost there won't be much left over for labor.

Back