The Bluesmobile

Around the same time as the new pushbars, I also got a '74 grille. Luckily the mounting tabs on the header panel were all there for the '74's as well as the '75's. So just removed the plastic nut, and relocated them to the '74 location.

IMG_0112.jpg

Im still on the lookout for a license plate bracket for the front bumper. Anyone know where one might be? I had to subsidize with some small metal stock from the hardware store. Bent it up, and bolted it together. It looks OK... But its kinda cheesy, and flimsy.

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

with the correct license plate..
IMG_0532.jpg

Last edited:
I was on the look out for a 8 3/4 for the monaco. One day a buddy of mine was telling me about an old fury at a friends grandmother's place. He say's they might be willing to let go of it. The lil old lady was getting up in age, and non of her grandsons had any interest in the car... So went to check it out.

GetAttachment.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

It had my 8 3/4!
1.jpg

The car was bought by the womens sister new. She drove it up until she passed away in 1981. Well no one in the family wanted the car.. So the women (friends grandmother/deceased womens sister) took the car and stored it in her barn. The car sat there and hadn't been touched, or moved since '81. Check out the muffler laying on the ground that rusted away and fell right down to the ground.

I didnt want to make an insulting offer, however I really wasn't sure what could be done with the car knowing it hasn't moved in decades. So I made an offer of $250. I figured if anything I would atleast get my rear end from it. They happily took the offer, saying they were glad someone was gonna do something with the car!

Went and rented a trailer from u haul, and headed over to the elderly women's house the next day. Her son towed the car out of the barn with his truck, being the brakes were all locked up. Luckily I brought a come along. got her up on the trailer, and brought her home.

7.jpg

Got her home and started cleaning the hell out of her! I was actually surprised how well she cleaned up.

11.jpg

dog dish caps from the monaco looked good on her!
14.jpg

19.jpg

Interior cleaned up nice, had a few mice holes... Could not get rid of the mildew smell though!

Can see more pics here-
http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/ad69/countrybunker/The fury/

The car grew on me, and I started planning on what to do with her. Then I crawled under the car!!! What a shame! The front subframe was completely gone! I started looking at getting another subframe, but the rear portion of the car was in just as bad a shape.. So time to yank the rear. She was just to far gone.

Heres what was left of the subframe on the driver's side, under the floor pan... (sorry for the crappy phone camera pics)
frame.jpg

One good thing about it is, it gave me a reason to get a new tool! Went and got a sawzall lol! I also got to go play in the snow.. What fun! :Groaner:

sprint3.jpg

sprint5.jpg

I grabbed most of the front trim work. Got the front bumper, headlight surrounding's, grille, headlights (3 of which are original), running lights, wheel cover's, and a few other odd ball thing's here and there.. If anyone might be interested in this stuff let me know.. Shoot me an offer. Ill have to put these in the for sale section.

I donated the rest of the car to a buddy, who got what he needed, and off to the scrap yard in the sky she went.

I'll bet your going to tell me that the dash pad was really nice, and it rode along to the crusher.

If you havent already found out on your differential, the leaf spring perches and the overall width are going to be narrower on the '68 and older C-bodies.

BTW I don't mind the Blues Brothers thing, but I guess I would have wanted a nice paint job, vs the worn retired look, even if it wasn't spot on with the movie car.

Thank you polara71, all is good. Im not trying to change your mind :icon_thumleft:

I have not got to putting the rear end in the car yet. Iv'e got it all torn down, and painted, setting aside. The pig is a 741 case, with a one wheel wonder 2.94 gear.

IMG_0420.jpg

Ive got a couple question's...
1. Ive been kinda holding out for a 3.23 gear, but everyone and their brother seem's to be looking for them as well. Ive been told that the 2.94 is a great gear though to. What is your opinion? The car is not going to be a race car, just a dependable almost everyday cruiser. Id still like to be able to go on long trips on the highway with it, yet I want some nice grunt for getting off the line, and moving. Will I really see any noticable change to a 2.94 from a 2.76? Or should I wait for the 3.23?

2. Id like to put a suregrip in. Never treaded in this water before. Does the suregrip have to be specific for whatever gears? (I.E.- does a 2.94 gear need a 2.94 suregrip?) Im still learning here lol

Any info appreciated! Thanks!

I'll bet your going to tell me that the dash pad was really nice, and it rode along to the crusher.

If you havent already found out on your differential, the leaf spring perches and the overall width are going to be narrower on the '68 and older C-bodies.

BTW I don't mind the Blues Brothers thing, but I guess I would have wanted a nice paint job, vs the worn retired look, even if it wasn't spot on with the movie car.

The dash pad was nice, but was starting to blow out in the corner's, and had 1/2 small cracks. It might have been able to be saved... The buddy I gave it to took whatever parts he needed, as well as took some off to sell. He runs around to surrounding mopar shows, and goes to the swap meets with stuff. Doubt he saved it.. But can try to find out if you would like? Even so, this was 2/3 years ago.. so idk.

How much narrower is the rear? I measured it a couple times years ago and thought it was almost spot on.. I may have been wrong.

Yea the current paint job is getting tired, its in the making's of getting a new one, this time with nice shiny paint, that will get some weathering touch to it, however hopefully a lot nicer then what currently on it. it will still be a blumo however...

You know Ive heard of that guy.... He has no clue though! haha Hey Rick! Was actually gonna send you a PM today, you beat me to it.

forgot you were on here, till yesterday when I saw your profile. I saw your avatar, and thought "man that car looks familiar!"

Did you get the 300's radiator back yet? I gotta shoot you a call soon.

Yes, went to Chelsea Tues. cruise nite @ 95degree & it stayed around 200.RR got a recore also, going to try to put some miles on it this year ; LRE seat cover came in yesterday & my cousin is bringing me his '55 Packard Fri. to get it functional again so I'm staying busy!

I personally dont believe you'd notice much of a change from the 2:76 to the 2:94. As well, you wont notice much between the 2:94 and the 3:23. I love the 3:23 suregrip for a C body.

Years ago I never payed attention to the revs of my 440 when I had a 3:73 in my sport Fury, but it was fast.

Good to hear Rick! I know you were saying you sent out the radiator for the RR, then the 300.. Glad to hear the RR is getting out, and about. When you gonna get the charger out? You know, next time I come up I would be happy to take the charger out and stretch it's legs for you!
:steering:

That's what I was thinking polara71.. I didn't think I would really notice a difference with the 2.94's. However it would be nice, being I already have them, and just have to worry about getting a suregrip for it... So I'm still on the fence. I know I dont want any more then a 3.23. The newport has 4.10's. Its fun in it's own right, but cant really take it for a nice long cruise, and enjoy it.

has2bmopar - Do you happen to know/have a chart with the dimension's of the center perch to perch for the 73 and up c-bodies? I found one for the 64-72 c body, but can't seem to find one for the later models. The chart I found says center from perch to perch for the 64-72 8 3/4 is 47.3 inches. I put the 8 3/4 under the car tonight to compare, and see if it would fit. It seems like it should bolt right up with no problem. I eyeballed it with the perches centered right under the leafs, and they seem to sit right in the center of them. I could not get a pic, as it was to dark. Ive got an old one with the rear end behind the car, can see it seems to be the same width. I have to play with it more in the daylight.

sprint6.jpg

Thanks guys!

The chart I found says center from perch to perch for the 64-72 8 3/4 is 47.3 inches. I put the 8 3/4 under the car tonight to compare, and see if it would fit. It seems like it should bolt right up with no problem.

I don't know the source of your chart, but I'm betting on the internet, as anyone can post any misinformation that they want, with no accountability or credibilty.

The breakdown in years should be '65-'68 and '69-'73. I don't have anything newer in the Formal era '74-'78 but I would bet on them being wider like the '69-'73.

The leaf springs may not sit perfectly parallel in your vehicle, so measusure right behind the differential accross both leaf springs, with your tape measure straight.

The '68 Chrysler measures 48 3/8" and the '69 is 49 7/8".

The overall width from the drum bolt surfaces with the drums on is 62" for the '68 and 64 1/2" for the '69

Your leaf springs are mounted in rubber bushings so with the differential out you can pull the centers in or out. Just because you can make it fit does not mean it is correct. Use your tape measure, not your eyes and optimism, or it will burn you in the long run. Also a sure grip carrier will fit in any 8.75" drop out, and are not ratio specific like the Danas.

I have 3 extra housings myself, a '69, '70 and a '73. If you don't have a teleporter you should be able to find a correct differential or housing in whatever area in which you are dwelling, and don't overlook the 9.25" (stop sign shaped cover), they are a very strong differential, and the housing is substantially stronger than the 8.75". I bent (2) 8.75" housings into pretzels with my 440 Power Wagon before I put 1 ton differentials in it. BTW the 741 drop out did not break, but it snapped one side of the yolk off once and exploded the universal joint the 2nd time along with adding 2 3/4" of toe in.

x3 Thank you has2bmopar! Yes the chart I found was online.. There is a bunch of B.S. online, thats why I come to the people that actually know. thank you for sharing your knowledge!! Very appreciattive!! :sSig_thankyou:
http://members.tripod.com/~Mojo_Page/chry875.htm

I will definitely get the measuring tape out and go over everything. I know you can move the leaf spring in/out a bit.. I know a buddy who did that with his volare wagon, and a B-body rear end. I figure, if I had to persuade them a 1/2 inch or so, no big deal.. however Im not going to try and move them in/out several inches. The 9 1/4 would be a lot more accurate for the car. I like the 8.75, with all the parts readily available, and added strength over the 8.25. Im not ruling out the 9.25, however Im on a pretty limited budget at the moment. If I can make this 8.75 work, im gonna go with it. If not, I'll look into other possibilities. I dont think I will get anywhere near hurting/bending the 8.75.

My headliner was starting to get pretty nasty, with a bunch of moisture stains. The rear windshield had a small leak at the very top. It would drip in a little bit when it would rain very hard. I picked up another tan headliner from a friend on another forum. Came from a 76 royal monaco.

Along with the headliner, I wanted to install a ticketlight. I attended a big mopar parts swap show, and acquired a couple dome lights, and wiring, along with a new plastic cover. There was a company out in CA that had a very accurate repop of the ticket light switch. I placed an order in for one... I yet to have it. I called a couple weeks after purchase to be told that "this switch is on backorder all throughout the u.s." Well After 7 months I was a little tired of waiting.

While the car was at the shop for some work I had them take the rear window out, and reseal it all. While the window was out the car went to a body shop, where they sanded and etch primed the bottom corners of the window channel to stop/prevent rust. Got the car back and installed the new headliner, along with the ticket light, minus the switch. Ive got the ticket light wired to the normal dome light, so it comes on when the doors are opened, and when interior lights are turned on.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

When I moved down here I left the car up north for a few months.. Now the new headliner has a few moisture stains in it again... Im not sure where it is coming from. A buddy told me the material just sweats, and it happens.. Im gonna try a fabric dye, and see if I can bring it back. Hopefully the dye will stand up to the moisture a little more.

I dont think I will get anywhere near hurting/bending the 8.75.

Actually it would take a lot to hurt one in a car, especially with an automatic and street tires.

To shed some light on how I was bending these housings was with a 480+-hp 440 in 4WD truck pulls. The first time I scrambled the Dana 44 front differential also, likely the split second after the rear yolk broke, and I sat immobile on the track. When I got out, my rear driveshaft was about 4 feet away from the truck, and a 7-8 year old kid handed me a large chunk of my yolk and some pieces of a universal joint that he found on the edge of the track.

It wasn't hugely embarrassing, as I was over 25 feet farther down the track than the next closest truck, that was trailered to the event, and was braced up for pulling... My truck was my daily driver. I won 1st place in the 5500 and 6500 pound classes. The embarrasing part was being pulled off of the track by a Ford.

Last edited:
A fellow was parting out a 76 royal monaco cop car on another forum. I got in touch with him, and ended up driving out to maryland with a buddy to pick up some parts.

Here is the car that was being parted out.
dodge312.jpg

The car had some cancer in the rear. Back when the car was in service it got smacked pretty hard in the drivers side front. They replaced the fender, and beat the inner fender in good enough for 1 bolt to be installed.. (I was not aware of this, the inner fenders were really what I was looking to get, and didn't find out till I got em home..) the guy did mention it, however did not inform me how bad the inner fender was. The core support was bent pretty bad to, and the guy cut the top part out to help with removing the engine. Well what was done was done, grabbed what I wanted and brought em home..
IMG_0318.jpg

Ended up grabbing:
inner fender's
76 fender's (can't seem to find 74/75 base fender's, so hoping to cut patch panels from these)
core support
dual snorkel air cleaner
power steering cooler
police spec. torsion bars
battery tray
Also got a driver side front door from another car he had that was mentioned earlier in this thread

IMG_0322.jpg

On the way back I stopped by at another forum member's place who had some parts. Picked up a nice rear seat back to replace my sun beating one, and a heat, a/c control unit.
IMG_0320.jpg

Was pretty happy to get all this stuff. A bunch of great guy's over on that forum happy to help you out!

The sun had taken its toll on my old rear seat back. The top was all baked, and tearing from the seam's.
IMG_0326.jpg

Luckily picked another one up for $20! Can't beat that! I pulled the top, and bottom seat out to find the build sheet. The sheet was in ok shape, still intact, and all there. I put it in plastic, and set it aside with the car's other paper work. Can tell the car was owned by a mopar fan, found a mopar performace sticker under the seat, along with a few other little thing's. The rear window was blown out year's ago from a lawn mower throwing a rock, found some glass under there as well. Cleaned it all up, and put it back in.
IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

The driver's door was in damn good shape compared to the one that was on the car. It had a little bit of rust in the corner's, but cleaned up well.
Gutted everything out of it, and did a little fix along the bottom.
IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

Sanded it all down, and laid some paint on it. Came out alright... I did my best to color match the tan paint on the inner top window frame. It is close, but not spot on..
IMG_0363.jpg

Pulled all the internal's, and weather stripping from my old door. Cleaned them up, and installed on the new door.
IMG_0382.jpg

Hardest part was the window glass. The glass is held in with these nut's/bolt's surrounded in plastic. Ofcoarse they rusted together, and the plastic tabs broke, so they just spun in the window when trying to remove... ended up getting a flat head screwdriver to wedge into the plastic, and slowly but surely get them removed! What fun!!

Back