The Bluesmobile

I always bought the pristine cars and welded the junk for my friends back together. Was a nice little side income, but I'm getting lazy.

Was finally able to get back to the car a few days ago.

Cut the front corner off of the old fender for the new royal fender. Also picked all the rust, and bondo out to see how bad it was. What a mess.
Resize_P091112_13461000062.jpg

After a lot of cutting, grinding, and fitting, finally got it all lined up, and in place.
P091112_1210_01.jpg

Resize_P091112_12101000060.jpg

Resize_P091112_12111000061.jpg

Used a lincoln mig welder to do the job. Very nice welder. Did both the front and back side.
P091112_1401_01.jpg

P091112_1401.jpg

Put a thin layer of filler over to straighten everything out. Starting to come together.
P091112_1915.jpg

P091112_1915_01.jpg

Do still have some fabrication work to do on the back side. The front of the royal fender is alot different structural wise on the back. Need to cut, and bend some metal for the headlights to bolt to. Also need to weld in some support for the front corner of the base fender to meet the fornt of the royal fender.
P091112_1401_01.jpg

Its coming together though! Car is sitting paitently wating. Hopefully wont have to go through this on the passenger fender!
Resize_P091112_17051000063.jpg

Good work. I see you have your welding mentor helping you out. :thumbsup:

Good work. I see you have your welding mentor helping you out. :thumbsup:

Yes sir! I did a few spots on some spare metal, however I will let him do the actual job! Im no where near being able to do what he can.

I've actually become pretty good friends with him. I knew him from a buddy I lived with, when I first got down here. They are nieghbors. I did a few side jobs for him in the past, however this is the first time we have hung out this much, and done something. I think he likes having me around, and have someone listen to what he has to teach. I try to soak up as much as I can. Usually the days end with his wife, him, and I BS'n out on his porch. They are both from Romania, and have quit a bit of good stories to tell.

Thanks polara! Gotta get her done soon! I love driving the newport everyday.... the wallet sure doesn't though.

Just make sure you practice, practice, practice and have your mentor critique your work while he's still able to mentor. Flat, vertical and overhead welds. You never know when you'll need it...........maybe down the road it'll turn into a little side work to help pay for the welder. And way down the road............you'll be a mentor.

:eek:ccasion14:

This fender has turned out to be a bit more of a pain in the *** then I thought it was going to be... But she is almost done! When I got the fender I knew it had some filler in it. After diggin out the 3/4 inch of bondo, found where a little fender bender once happened. You can see where they welded at to pull some of it out, but it still looked like the guy repairing it was determined to put a while gallon of filler in this fender. Spent the last week hammering/filling dents. As you can see the area hit was right abover the wheel opening.

There was also a couple rust holes towards the bottom, welded em up the same time as doing the front corner. After getting it home, and wire wheeling found a couple more pinholes. After wire wheeling the hell out of em, applied a healthy coat of rust convertor. Hopeing this will keep it at bay.

P141112_1612.jpg

Almost ready for a final sanding
P151112_1825.jpg

Measured off of the old fender, and drilled new holes for the emblems
P181112_1432.jpg

P181112_1432_01.jpg

Had to take the fender back for some more welding today, but after a few welds she was ready for the last bit of filler, then primer.

A bit of a difference
Resize_P181112_15551000064.jpg

P181112_1555_01.jpg

P181112_1621.jpg

P181112_1621_01.jpg

Nice and dry
P181112_2020.jpg

I gotta hand it to you and give you two thumbs up.
In the very beginning, I had reservations on how the project would go.
Good job do far.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Thanks stan! :sSig_thanks:

I was a little worried at first to. At the same time though it had to be done, as you can see in the above pics. I got a little more worried working on the top section where we welded at. It was not coming out very good. I almost threw in the gloves and was gonna say it was "done" then, but it would have looked like s#it. Luckily took it back to him today for a couple fixes, and it was good to go. Still have to clean, and deal with the back side, but won't be near as hard/time consuming. Just need to wire wheel/sand a few spots, lay down some rust convertor, and prime.

Good job on the front fenders. With those fenders in that condition...what condition is the rest of the body and undercarriage in?

Good job on the front fenders. With those fenders in that condition...what condition is the rest of the body and undercarriage in?

The body is definitely showing it's age. Then again though, this is a 38 year old car, that has been pretty much a daily driver for it's whole life up till the last 6 years or so. Still used as a daily driver, just not during the winter months. Still though did see some winter use. It spent 18 years of its life in Michigan, in the rust belt.

For some reason the front clip has always been the WORST sheet metal on this car. Its been rusting away since I've owned it. The drivers door was the next worse piece on the car. Luckily though, the subframes, floors, and rocker panels have been pretty solid. The rear corner of the driver side rocker panel has been starting to get soft the last year or so.

I could not find to many pics of when I first did her up, but here is a couple. It is pretty nasty. Good thing is, all the nasty has been replaced/being replaced with new sheet metal.
12.jpg

she does have the typical formal rust in the trunk pocket's. The rear wheel houses need to be worked on. The quarter panels are surprisingly pretty solid compared to the metal up front. She does have a couple quarter sized rust holes in the driver side.
GetAttachment.jpg

Resize_P080412_15441000010.jpg

P080412_1544_01.jpg

Im doing all I can to keep her going lol She has been a great car, and long over done her service. But still running strong. I don't think she is gonna be around for too long though. Current plans are to drive her as long as she can go, then scoop up a royal monaco, and swap my front clip, and tan interior into it from this one.

Kinda stupid... I have a 90% rust free, 2 door hardtop, sunroof, big block, special order car that needs to be gone threw... However all the $$ gets dumped into this one... I just have a huge soft spot for it... lol

I am happy with this fender for her though!
Resize_P191112_16541000065.jpg

P191112_1654_01.jpg

Resize_P191112_16551000066.jpg

Took the fender back to the car a week or so ago. Got a few scratches riding in the trunk, but think it came out pretty good! Needs a few small little things then good to go.

Resize_P231112_11341000067.jpg

Resize_P231112_11361000068.jpg

Now here is where the fun begins... Back in September ordered a fender from a guy in PA. Never showed up, and after a phone call or two never heard back from the guy in months. I gave up on it. I found another fender out in Nebraska, and ordered it last thursday. I get a call this morning that the shipping company was a half hour away bringing the fender. Left work on lunch, and met up with them. Got the fender, and back to work..

Tonight messing around with it. Seemed a little wierd... The fender was in a wrecking yard, and I was told it had a minor dent towards the front (I never saw pictures, just went off of what they said). Well this fender seemed to never be on a car. Still had the red primer on it from back in the day, and no paint anywhere. Also had a lot of shelf wear.

Turns out this is the damn fender I ordered 3 months ago!! The guy sent it on the 5th.. Jesus H..... I'm happy to have it finally, but wouldm have been nice if the guy would have called back. now I have another fender on the way. Spending more $$ I don't need to!! Guess I'll have a spare... What a mess.

Resize_P101212_1036100006D.jpg

Resize_P101212_1037100006E.jpg

Resize_P101212_10491000070.jpg

P101212_1045.jpg

P101212_1039.jpg

P101212_1038.jpg

Yeah this is undoubtedly a kool thread, we've all got it!

Back