The Future Of Our Cars

They are closing a local county fairgrounds near me next year. There many car shows held there. Large automotive swap meet.
A Saturday night speedway among many other events. They want close speedway for noise pollution? City officials IMO are just going for a land grab for themselves. We already have too many big box stores.
Many of the speedways and race tracks have been closed. It’s the wussifaction across the nation.

City officials IMO are just going for a land grab

It's not just the local, little tyrants. The Feds and certain state govs are pushing to achieve their "30 by '30" goal which is where the government owns/controls 30% of the land in this country by 2030. They no longer try to hide it and openly talk about it. This is just a step for the "50 by '50" plan. Anyone care to predict what comes next on their road to serfdom?

Many of the speedways and race tracks have been closed. It’s the wussifaction across the nation
Or you could call it stupidity. People are stupid and want someone else to bail them out.
How about all these noise walls you see going up along the highways. What led to this?
"Hey honey let's go look at those houses in that new plan you can see from the highway" "ok dear". This is on a Saturday or Sunday. Fast forward a few years and all these dumbasses think the highway is too noisy on the constant Monday thru Friday grind. Looking for a bailout from their stupidity noise walls go up. Now you get to drive down a walled road with graffiti all over it like your on the cross Bronx expressway.
I used to get this all the time when I bedbugged for a living, especially local around Pittsburgh area, "yeah that's why I hired movers, I did not want to carry anything up the steps". You dumbass I'll be home later today you will be carrying groceries up the steps from the garage or driveway for the rest.of your life. Let the air out of a few homeowners balloons with that one.
Keep being stupid people. We can't kill you off directly, but I'm damn sure going to laugh at you.

Last edited:
Does anyone know who the actual law makers that have written these bills?
I understand that the reason is they are after electric and hybrid cars, without actually saying they are targeting them (still want you in one they just don't want to come out and say that your the target of this tax).
Trucks have to file mileage for the states they run through and owe for miles run I that state. If you buy fuel in that state you will probably not owe tax or it is shared in you account if you bought a excess in another state. I buy all my fuel in Ohio, Pennsylvania has a higher tax rate so I end up owing at the end of the quarter. My feeling is Ohio gets rewarded for keeping road tax reasonable, and Pennsylvania can stand in line every quarter with their hand out like the ungrateful cons they are.
Every vehicle that will run with speedometer disconnected is looking more valuable. I can definitely last 20-30 years without moving to a newer vehicle, so "not my problem".
Back to California. If I buy a newer skid steer to make them happy with emissions, who is coming by to check said smog equipment after warranty runs out? Do you have to drag your equipment somewhere to have it smog checked? I realize that a large operation would be subject to OSHA type random, and tattle tales, but for a landscaper or small farm? Just asking if someone happens to know. I know there are big fines for getting caught like this, so don't waste your breath. Asking about practical enforcement.
Private owners who don’t use the machine to make money by working for others off site don’t have much to worry about if the emissions go bad. The machine will eventually derate and then stop running until you repair it.

Farmers are exempt - no emissions laws effect them.

Businesses that own equipment self report thru Doors and they self police their fleets. The only club to keep you in line is if you don’t self police your fleet you won’t be allowed on most job sites - not by the state but by the Company running the project.

State emissions fleet inspectors exist but so far have been a complete failure as far as enforcing the rules goes. They leave that up to the compliance manager on the job site.

Well at least they are not bending them over. They have enough to deal with, like having a million dollars worth of equipment to sell some jackass, who thinks he is saving the planet with a 100k+ plaid Tesla, a $8 basket of tomatoes.
Glad they are getting a pass. That almost makes a glint of hope that there are 3 working brain cells somewhere in government.

Well at least they are not bending them over. They have enough to deal with, like having a million dollars worth of equipment to sell some jackass, who thinks he is saving the planet with a 100k+ plaid Tesla, a $8 basket of tomatoes.
Glad they are getting a pass. That almost makes a glint of hope that there are 3 working brain cells somewhere in government.
:rofl:

That will work until it's illegal to not have a tracking device mounted on your vehicle...if it only saves one life :rolleyes:
Car insurance phone app = beginning of the the end...
They are closing a local county fairgrounds near me next year. There many car shows held there. Large automotive swap meet.
A Saturday night speedway among many other events. They want close speedway for noise pollution? City officials IMO are just going for a land grab for themselves. We already have too many big box stores.
Many of the speedways and race tracks have been closed. It’s the wussifaction across the nation.
Unfortunate that idiots seem inclined to move into the area, and then whine about the noise and/or traffic... and the land always seems to be worth more than the current speedway by the time there's enough locals to complain.

Every time I hear this crap from Daytona, I kinda hope they do something stupid to themselves up there and kill off their own economy. A lot of revenue is generated by being a car/motorcycle/race/party town... which could easily become just another shithole with a beach if they lose that draw.

Private owners who don’t use the machine to make money by working for others off site don’t have much to worry about if the emissions go bad. The machine will eventually derate and then stop running until you repair it.

Businesses that own equipment self report thru Doors and they self police their fleets. The only club to keep you in line is if you don’t self police your fleet you won’t be allowed on most job sites - not by the state but by the Company running the project.

State emissions fleet inspectors exist but so far have been a complete failure as far as enforcing the rules goes. They leave that up to the compliance manager on the job site.
I know you work with this stuff, but if a small operation has an old piece of equipment they use on their own property, how easy is it to keep hidden from the government? That stuff doesn't get registered or plated like road going machines... seems like a big task to try to track it all.

Car insurance phone app = beginning of the the end.
Truly a great marketing tool by the insurance companies. They play to everyone's ego about being a excellent driver, which in reality nobody is because of so much interaction with all the other dummies on the road. All the while letting a giant corp. into your inner circle.
Genius!

If you have a older private use piece of diesel equipment in California DO NOT take it in for repair to dealer. DO NOT pay with check or card. Dealer will rat you out to state. There in it for new equipment sales.
Don’t even buy parts and give them your phone number. Pay cash and give them no info.

Every time I hear this crap from Daytona, I kinda hope they do something stupid to themselves up there and kill off their own economy. A lot of revenue is generated by being a car/motorcycle/race/party town... which could easily become just another shithole with a beach if they lose that draw.
I have to laff at that, the problem is the unruly out of towners... many from your own overpopulated county. Sure we have our own newcomers that are attracted to the 'Circus' the race events have turned into. Much of this 'Revenue' that is generated by this side show circus never stays here and leaves town, their is even the question as to if many of these carnival 'Pikeys' even turn over their sales tax to the state. I have (and it was posted up online) a video interview where one long time Bike Week swap meet vendor admitted that he doesn't pay. Said he left years ago due to a crackdown and increase in permits & fees and only did Sturgis and other events etc. But now he's back as it's gotten so large the city/county/state just doesn't have the 'resources' to keep up.

Decades ago there was a crackdown on OBT, you know what that is right Jeff? For the out of the Orlando area un-informed people OBT is Orange Blossom Trail, a parkway I guess, sounds pretty right? (I've never been there TYVM), A 'Strip' of roadway that was taken over by Saturday night cruisers, a place to go which I've read became very seedy with it's strip malls, strip joints and was the place to go to for all your 'nefarious needs' so to say. Street walkers, drive up strip mall drug dealers, and a place for the car cruising community to 'Network' well before social media came about. Big meetup area for many. Now after this big and not just one but many crackdowns, one weekend I went over to the beach not too do a beach day as it was April and not warm enough for the beach to me but a day to put on the shorts and do the Boardwalk have a few beers and enjoy the sunshine and salt air. Now Daytona Beach back in the 70's & 80's wasn't the go too beach spot for Orange County residents as they preferred Cocoa Beach, I don't know what it was, just the extra couple of miles to get to the 'Free' drive on beach in Volusia county or the many 'Rocket Scientists' that lived in Orange county preferred Brevard County over us. They have a expressway just for them, it was called "Bee Line Expressway" back in the day, but the ever changing bright bulbs over there didn't think that was appropriate for out of town tourist that couldn't find Florida Beaches on their own so they renamed it "Beachline Expressway" they even named it after some guy Martin B. Anderson who ever he was, mab'be someone in the aerospace industry IDK. Welp getting back to my beach visit in April in the 90's is that in viewing the beach activities from the Boardwalk Main St. area is that I notice this one particular vehicle that had gone by the Main St pier area many times in the past several hours. Why did I single out this one particular vehicle?... Welp because it was a 'Low Rider' a 'Bagger' or 'Ghetto Ride' like I use to see in LA in the 70's, I take back the bagger nomenclature as I don't think baggers can do what I saw that made this car stick out. AaaaYep it was all jacked up three Showoff Sideways to Sunday riding up & down the Beach jacked so the tiny RF wheel was 2/3 feet off the ground. Now this car had gone by many times in the couple of hours I was there and I know it's crowded around the Main St area for parking (not anymore, banned driving area) but I don't think this Fella was looking for a parking space. Never in my time here had I seen this type of car before and I just thought... welcome to the Ghetto, it's been all down hill since then, but it ebb's & flows, hurricanes come and **** up the beach so no driving for awhile, then they double the entrance fee etc.

Yesterday I saw in our local online newspaper that the City was having not just a 'Workshop' (or did the workshop morph into) but a 'Taskforce' to "corral unruly Daytona-area special events", but I didn't have time yesterday (or really care, same-O same-O) to read this regurgitation but seeing your comments made me come back to read the article before it disappears into the ether. Here's some cliff-notes.

"purgatory of thumping car stereos, traffic jams, law breaking and constant clouds of noxious exhaust".

"The truck meet has a host: Daytona International Speedway. If we can get them to quit renting out to the promoter, that will help a lot."

"Daytona Beach police officers who normally would have been off that weekend were called in to work mandated 12-hour shifts, and when the mayhem finally subsided the overtime bill had climbed to $178,687."

"And that was just Daytona Beach. The sheriff and police chiefs in Holly Hill, Daytona Beach Shores, Ormond Beach, South Daytona, Port Orange, Ponce Inlet, New Smyrna Beach, Edgewater and Flagler Beach all had their officers trying to keep a handle on the chaos."

And the price of just picking up the trash was going to be tabulated by the County (WastePro), they know the tonnage from the scales at the landfill (when's that place going to fill up?) but I never heard the $$$ amount (or care, never ending). One thing I learned from the City meeting that jump started all these workshop to taskforce level meetings is that we have been down this road before even after the heydaze of the 80's Spring Break debauchery. Now I'll try and tread lightly here, but we had this one particular event come back to the City of Daytona Beach in the early 90's after they were known for rioting up in Virginia Beach where that City and the state would not put up with the behavior of these individuals. So this city was well informed and prepared and contacted the state for all available resources to just try and keep a lid on the pot so that it didn't boil over like up in Virginia. Well the first city meeting the Mayor reminded every one that just one year of this event cost just the City of Daytona Beach alone 1.2 Million dollars for having all these State Troopers and cops from just about every other part of Florida for the several days this event went on. I personally saw Broward County and a Margate Command Post Winnebago go by where I lived on US-1 in the downtown area.
LOL I felt very safe where I was in the Downtown Historical District as there were 2 FHP Troopers on every corner for several blocks, Kind of reminded me of the Laconia Motorcycle Races in the early 70's... tons of State Troopers and these weren't little whimpy guys like you see these days, think Moose. I ask one local NH resident where all these big troopers came from and he informed me they were the ones that manage the state prisons. And they didn't mess about as the first owner of my first PK21 found out as he got a massive wack from a Troopers billy club to the back of his knees bringing him to the ground right pronto as he got a little mouthy to the Trooper and didn't get on his motorcycle quick enough as they were clearing out the roadside mayhem on RT 106 just down from the track. I was on my already running bike trying to get into traffic to clear out. He made it out and didn't get hauled off but they really weren't arresting people as they didn't have the 'resources' to handle that many people they just wanted to make it well known that they needed to clear out of the area. Oh the daze...

What is 1990's 1.2 Million dollars today? ... 30 Million? Seems I remember a fire station back in the 80's being built for 1.2 Million dollars and then the new North Ireland fortress type Police station costing 7 Million shortly after the fire station (and the roof leaked), now there is talk that the city north of me here needs a new combined 'Command Center' Police Station to replace it's current 20 year old station, estimated cost today is just 30 Million dollars and you know that's going to go up, I think and say over 50 Million by the time it's operational.

People around here are saying enough is enough, but will it happen? Daytona was nice for quite a while, in the 70's & 80's a little ghost town'ee when the races weren't here but it's just like what happened over in the Sarasota area where I lived in the 70's. Nice to have the snowbirds in the winter for $$$ but glad to see them go in April. Now they stay all year and the problems mount daily. (Like "Where's Baldy") Hey but wot'da'heck 'Dogs' here! (he don't look well IMHO)

I say you can't stop the 'Steamroller Of Sprawl'....

:soapbox:

Last edited:
Never have bought a car for an investment.
If I can drive it, I’ll put it in the living room and look at it.

Or you could call it stupidity. People are stupid and want someone else to bail them out.
How about all these noise walls you see going up along the highways. What led to this?
"Hey honey let's go look at those houses in that new plan you can see from the highway" "ok dear". This is on a Saturday or Sunday. Fast forward a few years and all these dumbasses think the highway is too noisy on the constant Monday thru Friday grind. Looking for a bailout from their stupidity noise walls go up. Now you get to drive down a walled road with graffiti all over it like your on the cross Bronx expressway.
I used to get this all the time when I bedbugged for a living, especially local around Pittsburgh area, "yeah that's why I hired movers, I did not want to carry anything up the steps". You dumbass I'll be home later today you will be carrying groceries up the steps from the garage or driveway for the rest.of your life. Let the air out of a few homeowners balloons with that one.
Keep being stupid people. We can't kill you off directly, but I'm damn sure going to laugh at you.
I don't see where you get this bailout bit, you ever think that the expressway was widened over time as the population increased? Some people lived in a house when the parkway was a four lane divided roadway with a proper buffer of woods only to have it be widened over time to a 6/8 or 10 lane freeway taking away that buffer.
But I get where bad property bordering highways was never bought or built on for many years only to be developed due to the increasing population, (supply & demand) kids move away from their parents and start they're own families and want to stay in the town they grew up in, plus close to the amenities and shopping they know, then there is the real estate agents that sell the town on 'The schools are great here" etc. The only other alternative is for the government is to buy up these highway bordering properties to bring back the buffer (not gonna happen). Hell I don't know how many time I-95 has been widened down through the Daytona Beach area just in the past decade, twice I recall, heck I was on the LPGA bridge widening project for future 1-95 widening back in the mid 90's and that didn't happen till over a decade later and now due to all the increased sprawl they want to widen LPGA Blvd from 4 lanes to who knows how many. (edit) oh yea and they are bitching about the new I-95 already needing to be repaved, potholes one northerner was complaining about as he side skirted the local road traffic to get to his job in Daytona because he 'White Flighted' two cities to the south. Thank God the 1-4 Volusia County section is all done and seems to be a quality job.

And wot'da'heck is "I bedbugged for a living" I googled it but I'm not gonna spend an hour on the search results, ekk.

Last edited:
If you are a small operation the only way you can get busted is thru self reporting, renting it to an idiot who reports it or trying to take it on a big job site. Doors is a program the state uses to regulate equipment by horsepower NOT your emissions output. They reward you for elimination of horsepower (reduced fleet size) and punishing you if you want to grow your business. In over 30 years of being in this business I do not have one example of dealer personnel reporting a piece of equipment to state regulators. That is not our job.

The state you live in decides how long you can run your equipment for not us. I /we hate working on the new stuff and we love working on the old stuff. Sadly and not by our hand those days are over. If you believe that we are the cause of the problem then you must also want to blame Chrysler for the demise of the hemi and 6bbl engines. The man behind the curtain pulling the strings ain’t us. He was voted for...

If you have a older private use piece of diesel equipment in California DO NOT take it in for repair to dealer. DO NOT pay with check or card. Dealer will rat you out to state. There in it for new equipment sales.
Don’t even buy parts and give them your phone number. Pay cash and give them no info.
You got maybe my second disagreement check in all my years on this board. I’m sorry that you feel that way. I can promise you that we do not report people to the government that is just not our job. We love working on some ol hoss and it’s so rare now that the guys talk about it for weeks after it’s gone. The state mandates when equipment must be sold and trust me when I say we do not enforce rules. I just helped an older gentleman get his 1969 D7 lowdrive Dozer back up and running. Not saying where except that it’s running right here in California. My favorite dozers are the L series giants illegal as all get out now but I still help keep them in the dirt.

One thing we can do is repower an older machine to a cleaner engine but in most cases all the DPF DEF **** will not fit under the hood of a super old machine. We are not the bad guys. These rules have cost us millions and millions maybe billions in R&D.

If I see you at the Fall Fling I’ll bring you a CAT hat.

I don't see where you get this bailout bit, you ever think that the expressway was widened over time as the population increased? Some people lived in a house when the parkway was a four lane divided roadway with a proper buffer of woods only to have it be widened over time to a 6/8 or 10 lane freeway taking away that buffer.
But I get where bad property bordering highways was never bought or built on for many years only to be developed due to the increasing population, (supply & demand) kids move away from their parents and start they're own families and want to stay in the town they grew up in, plus close to the amenities and shopping they know, then there is the real estate agents that sell the town on 'The schools are great here" etc. The only other alternative is for the government is to buy up these highway bordering properties to bring back the buffer (not gonna happen). Hell I don't know how many time I-95 has been widened down through the Daytona Beach area just in the past decade, twice I recall, heck I was on the LPGA bridge widening project for future 1-95 widening back in the mid 90's and that didn't happen till over a decade later and now due to all the increased sprawl they want to widen LPGA Blvd from 4 lanes to who knows how many. (edit) oh yea and they are bitching about the new I-95 already needing to be repaved, potholes one northerner was complaining about as he side skirted the local road traffic to get to his job in Daytona because he 'White Flighted' two cities to the south. Thank God the 1-4 Volusia County section is all done and seems to be a quality job.

And wot'da'heck is "I bedbugged for a living" I googled it but I'm not gonna spend an hour on the search results, ekk.

No they are dumbasses, end of story.
None or very few of those old people are in those houses.
Quit making excuses for these dumbasses. They chose poorly, suck it up.

It is hard to be optimistic given the prevailing climate hysteria. Up here the dumb gov't f*%ks are carbon taxing imported gas even though we are self sufficient in oil. Being in my late 60's I'll be lucky to have my licence for another 20 years. It might be wishful thinking, but I'm hoping that I can cruise around in my old boats for at least that long. After that I'm told I won't own anything but I'll be happy.:rolleyes: At least I can go easy knowing I've done my bit to keep a couple nice pieces of automotive history on the road and in fine tune.

No they are dumbasses, end of story.
None or very few of those old people are in those houses.
Quit making excuses for these dumbasses. They chose poorly, suck it up.
I've seen too many places that I wouldn't have considered and weren't really price adjusted for the nearby traffic...

@68PK21 440.6bbl isn't all wrong, but there are lots of newer neighborhoods poorly placed as well. Regardless of where you live, if a major closed highway is given a new exit, the developers and speculators have been gobbling up all the land they can. I've seen a couple times where it went bust, but many more where the property values/taxes drove out a majority of those who lived there when it was less convenient and sparely populated.

An area I looked at and liked just 15 years ago went bat-poo crazy a couple years later... now I wouldn't want to live there, let alone afford to buy in. If I was any good at land speculation, I'd have jumped on that 10 acre shack in the woods... right now its part of a big subdivision of high dollar doctor housing... Local roads have all expanded dramatically and the average vehicle went from a P/U with an working sized bed to something ridiculous in price.

Back