The Future Of Our Cars

Since 2015 there has been year after year non stop MAJOR wildfires in California.
I know bulldozer operators who were NOT allowed to help cut fire lines becuase there dozer was not DEF compliant to be used in California. For the past years there has bulldozers shortages during the many wildfires. Go figure?
Big Rig trucking companies were forced to liquidate their 2006 and older trucks. Small companies that could not afford new trucks were taken over by big companies that could afford new trucks. Then COVID hits and there is a trucking shortage that continues today. Ports backed up. Through high diesel fuel prices.
Take away small gas engine lawn mowers,weed wackers,chain saws, tractors etc and wonder why wildfires continue?
It’s the lack Forrest management over decades that have given the wildfires their fuel. State closed most of the sawmills over the past years. Now lumber costs are sky high. Now there is a lumber shortage

Since 2015 there has been year after year non stop MAJOR wildfires in California.
I know bulldozer operators who were NOT allowed to help cut fire lines becuase there dozer was not DEF compliant to be used in California. For the past years there has bulldozers shortages during the many wildfires. Go figure?
Big Rig trucking companies were forced to liquidate their 2006 and older trucks. Small companies that could not afford new trucks were taken over by big companies that could afford new trucks. Then COVID hits and there is a trucking shortage that continues today. Ports backed up. Through high diesel fuel prices.
Take away small gas engine lawn mowers,weed wackers,chain saws, tractors etc and wonder why wildfires continue?
It’s the lack Forrest management over decades that have given the wildfires their fuel. State closed most of the sawmills over the past years. Now lumber costs are sky high. Now there is a lumber shortage
When the Great Northern Fire burnt Arizona from flagstaff to showlow the Forrest Service would not allow Dozers as town after town turned to ash. The mayor of Showlow asked our Showlow store mgr if he could borrow a Dozer to cut some fire lines after the USFS guys fled. They cut some fire breaks the mayor got stuck our guy had him jump on his Dozer and they just let the other one burn. After weeks and weeks of fire these two guys stopped it cold and saved Showlow. Our owner later called the mayor about the burnt up Dozer and told him not to worry “it’s on the house” !!! This was never in the news but 100% true.

We build Fire CATs for the USFS and unless you have a special set up with dual everything- roll bars - and fire shields they won’t let you run. Most of the Fire CATs are D6 size and they have no emissions because they need the room for all the dual everything redundant equipment. Last thing they want is to lose an operator due to a bad fuel pump etc etc. I’ve never personally seen a new emissions compliant Fire CAT. Doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Lifelong familiarity with mother mopar tought me to never say never...

You know I’m kinda in favor of this. I almost got in a fist fight with the neighbors gardener when he blew **** all over my freshly washed car

It was just innocently drying out in the sun. I went in to wash my hands and as soon as I heard that GD leaf blower fire up I just knew...

You can’t screw over your neighbors yards with a rake and a broom.

Sorry.

Gotta edit. Sorry again guys didn’t notice that included mowers. That’s dumb.

Last edited:
That’s a surprise!!! I wonder what Newsoms relative Nancy Pelosi husband will call his new businesses that has weed wackers that run on banana peels? Of course it will be funded by some federal green grants.The electrical grid in California is already stretched beyond its limits. PGE is already bankrupt from all the wildfire lawsuits! Where does all this additional electrical power come from to power EVERYTHING. I bet Newsom will try to acquire PGE soon

This is the logic they use.

"An hour’s use of a gas-powered leaf blower produces the same amount of emissions as driving from Los Angeles to Denver, according to the Air Resources Board."

Yes oh Lord when will it end? I just learned that Snow Mobiles have gone 4-Stoke since 2006 via this comment in a motorcycle video.

My Yamaha 4 stoke snowmobile is so heavy .. I carry a boat winch on it with nylon rope.. I also carry a shovel and a limb saw..

also about offroading these days in Michigan

"Four wheelers and side by sides are a plague on the offroad community. Life was better before they were around."

Snowmobiles go 4-stroke for quiet, smokefree riding--at speeds up to 137 mph.
JUN 13, 2006
Ski-Doo V-1000

SKI-DOO LEGEND V-1000.jpg

YAMAHA 998CC FOUR

YAMAHA 998CC FOUR.jpg

I hear ya about Leaf Blowers, when I lived in the Historic Downtown area, twice a week the city workers would blow the pesky Live Oak leaves off the brick sidewalks only to have our strong ocean and river breezes (wind) blow them back and after quite awhile when the piles would collect in the corners someone finally pick them up. Ya know sometimes you just wanna go out and tell someone what they are doing just isn't working. I'm surprised some mouthpiece didn't complain 'bout it at the City Hall monthly meetings, feck they complain about everything else. And the noise of the leaf blowers? They do make quiet 2-Stroke ones now, Stihl does I seen one in use with the State Workers (prisoners) on the median of US-1 after they planted all these high maintenance trees and flower beds to pretty up the city. IMHO I got along just fine with the low maintenance concrete medians for decades. Very little engine noise with a proper muffler and even the wind howl was subdued with some kind of aero quiet snout.

To Goose out in Cali, when I was poodling the quiet Stihl Blowers I found that two cities long ago around the LA area banned Leaf Blowers not because of the 2-Stroke pollution but because of the noise and also they don't really do any work just blow things around really ain't working right?
I know Beverly Hills was one city and Santa Barbara maybe the other (or that Kardashian city, Callabasa?)

Rant over...

Yes oh Lord when will it end? I just learned that Snow Mobiles have gone 4-Stoke since 2006 via this comment in a motorcycle video.

My Yamaha 4 stoke snowmobile is so heavy .. I carry a boat winch on it with nylon rope.. I also carry a shovel and a limb saw..

also about offroading these days in Michigan

"Four wheelers and side by sides are a plague on the offroad community. Life was better before they were around."

Snowmobiles go 4-stroke for quiet, smokefree riding--at speeds up to 137 mph.
JUN 13, 2006
Ski-Doo V-1000

View attachment 490335

YAMAHA 998CC FOUR

View attachment 490336

I hear ya about Leaf Blowers, when I lived in the Historic Downtown area, twice a week the city workers would blow the pesky Live Oak leaves off the brick sidewalks only to have our strong ocean and river breezes (wind) blow them back and after quite awhile when the piles would collect in the corners someone finally pick them up. Ya know sometimes you just wanna go out and tell someone what they are doing just isn't working. I'm surprised some mouthpiece didn't complain 'bout it at the City Hall monthly meetings, feck they complain about everything else. And the noise of the leaf blowers? They do make quiet 2-Stroke ones now, Stihl does I seen one in use with the State Workers (prisoners) on the median of US-1 after they planted all these high maintenance trees and flower beds to pretty up the city. IMHO I got along just fine with the low maintenance concrete medians for decades. Very little engine noise with a proper muffler and even the wind howl was subdued with some kind of aero quiet snout.

To Goose out in Cali, when I was poodling the quiet Stihl Blowers I found that two cities long ago around the LA area banned Leaf Blowers not because of the 2-Stroke pollution but because of the noise and also they don't really do any work just blow things around really ain't working right?
I know Beverly Hills was one city and Santa Barbara maybe the other (or that Kardashian city, Callabasa?)

Rant over...
06 was essentially the death of 2 strokes... few larger ones got to certify after that... and I think those are all gone now.

EV's sure are the future.

Screenshot_20211120-114710~2.png

Most people who support the electric vehicle future, probably have no clue about it's past.

EV's sure are the future.

View attachment 498035

Most people who support the electric vehicle future, probably have no clue about it's past.
I think there was some program in NYC or somewhere, that allowed some trucks to run on the overhead street car/bus wiring too... later years though.

I think there was some program in NYC or somewhere, that allowed some trucks to run on the overhead street car/bus wiring too... later years though.
They do that in San Francisco with the buses.

Ever wonder about this...?
The first good cold snap, and the parts stores start running out of batteries, the shops run out of parking spaces and the tow truck drivers get no sleep.

The other day I glanced at the parking lot at work, and saw a Tesla midsize and a Chevy Volt. That's the only ev's I know in town, maybe a dozen more in the county. The guy with the Tesla is going to relay his experience with the car this winter. Like I said in the Carlisle thread, need to have a lot more ev's on the road to fail and make any difference. Idiot drivers make a mess of the roads in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area the first few snowfalls. I think the road conditions and driving habits will cause more headaches for the ev driver's. The Tesla guy talked about the all wheel drive and auto driving features. Thinks it should be great in the elements, does know all wheel drive and the wide tires could make for fun, and limit how deep of snow it can drive through. He's very realistic and did his due diligence before buying.

Reviving a dormant thread, hey, that's @ayilar's job! :poke:

Anywho, I've recently learned that hydrogen powered vehicles may very well be in the somewhat near future. There is a big push to make it happen, and companies have already started gearing up for production. How soon, that I don't know, but there is a substantial amount of resources being put in place to make it happen.

What happens with oil is anyone's guess, as lawmakers target oil as the worst thing ever. I think it will be a mix of electric and non oil source fuels like ethanol and hydrogen that will keep ICE around for some time. Ethanol's been around for a long time, over 30 years in Minnesota, and it's not going anywhere. Which is good news for us fine folks who love to drive around in our old dinosaurs. We can convert our cars over to ethanol with little hassle. I'll prob never buy anything newer than a 2024, so I'll be able to get a vehicle that drinks liquid if I go that route. But it will be used by the time I get my hands on it, it I don't all.

If I learn more about hydrogen, I'll be sure to pass it on.

The fuel cell technology has been around for quite a while. NASA used then in 1966 Gemini spacecraft.

Ok, long ago in the early days of oil refinment, they made oils and greases for lubricating, kerosene for lighting, Diesel for stationary engines, and some other similar oils as fuels in boilers for steam. There was a waste byproduct (among others) called gasoline. Some of it they used for heating in the refinery. They used to pour it out on the ground to dispose of it.
140+ years later we want the stuff and the vehicles powered by it to go away. Fine idea, BUT, always a bit, oil for lubricating, oil for the ships that bring all the wonderful things from all over China and India to you for pennies, all the asphalt roads that your electric car is riding on. All of this, and I'm missing a few, are all from those God awful (not my words, think greeniac) refineries that will continue to produce those products. Guess what is still a byproduct? Gasoline!
Now WTF are you going to do with all that gasoline and no I.C.E. cars. All this bullshit talk about electric cars, busses (had them when I was a kid in Pittsburgh Pa along with trollies, ran on overhead wires 1960-1970s, now these mouthpieces have a great new idea) and trucks. Gasoline isn't going anywhere, it literally can't unless your going all the way back to horse and oxen. Let them talk and push for all electric, they will be begging this old MF to get his 1968 Charger out and burn off all this excess gasoline that is piling up. You know I'm going to charge them for the use of my car.

Back