the real 70 GT and S/23 #s

It seems strange to me that this production information is so hush-hush and impossible to get posted for all to see. I would think that whomever has this report would do us all a favor by posting it. If it is publicly available, nobody could exaggerate the numbers one way or another. And, ANYONE could verify claims by anyone else. Clearly something is up. These aren't missle codes...they're 50+ year old records that might make the hobby a little more fun and interesting for owners.
I am fortunate enough to own a GT and know most of its history. It would be nice to be able to say it's 1 of ???? number but based on the data I can only get close - fine with me. Close is better than "no idea".
The history of Chrysler, our individual cars, how they were built, and who owned them is what it's all about. The story your car can tell is just one of many reasons I own one.
Whew! I feel better.....

I'm pretty sure this is the book that has those production numbers. Obviously out dated as a price guide but it did give some accurate production numbers.
s-l640.jpg

If you want all those numbers out there and I agree it would be nice it would take a monumental task and volumes of time.

most posts because I have better things to do than argue with people. The one correction I will make to Markos post is that SG30s report on the number of cars SOLD. it is NOT cars BUILT!!!!

The report posted covers cars SOLD in the US. There is a separate report for Canada.

I, too, have no need to argue.

The document clearly states TOTAL SHIPMENTS. Not BUILT. Not SOLD. Shipped.

Shipped cars had to have been built but maybe not sold.
Built cars weren't necessarily shipped or sold.
Sold cars were certainly built weren't necessarily shipped.

The reports give us the best known factory documents as to the approximate number of cars built and shipped. They are not fool proof nor exact but they are a relatively decent guideline as to production.

most posts because I have better things to do than argue with people. The one correction I will make to Markos post is that SG30s report on the number of cars SOLD. it is NOT cars BUILT!!!!

The report posted covers cars SOLD in the US. There is a separate report for Canada.
thanks for clarifying that, Kevin. i was taking it for granted that sold = built

As I recall that was the caveat to the reports. One had built cars but that was completed in June before the end of production. The other was sold cars which didn't note cars still sitting on lots.
God it was so long ago I forget a that stuff and Yahoo is long gone.

I'm glad to see that 666 number isn't actually true.
Although it will take a miracle to get the internet to start repeating more-correct numbers.

As for how the wrong #s could've been published and accepted for so long?
To paraphrase Thomas Sowell on how incorrect data gets proliferated (and I'm not referring to anyone here, but the public in general):
"They found the data they were looking for, why would they dig any deeper?"

If a car is shipped, can't one assume that it was sold eventually ?
Sold means ordered by a customer . Inventory cars are not considered sold . Then you have dealer demos , courtesy cars , factory rep cars , pool cars , executive cars , press cars etc…. It doesnt surprise me at all that more than 666 were produced . I spent 35 years in the car business. When something special was introduced most dealers would want at least one. Your spending the bosses money ! What the hell … order cool stuff. I know I did .

So the 6V number has been correct for years as it appears.
However the increased number of regular GT's does provide a little more hope of finding one. Thanks for the information!

Why does it give more hope ? Because more were built than previously thought?
I'm thinking the opposite. If we doubled the number built but I still can't find one, that would mean the survival rate of the species is even less than previously thought.

I still think there's 20 or so sitting in various garages around the continent waiting to be seen.

Going to algebra:
x (qty built) - y (qty survived) = z (qty remaining)

X was formerly believed to be 666. But now we have:
1.96x (qty built) - y (qty survived) = z (qty remaining)

Still one equation with 2 unknowns. No logical basis to expect a change in either hope or survival rate. Nothign physically changed at 9/24/2023, when this info was posted.

I read a Business Week article many years ago and included in the article was a story about the IRS investigating Chrysler during that period about their accounting practices, one of those being Chrysler over-producing vehicles , pushing them out the door, and counting them as Sold. That is why during that period, dealer lots were filled beyond capacity and were selling two year old new unregistered cars at ridiculously low prices.

So the 6V number has been correct for years as it appears.
However the increased number of regular GT's does provide a little more hope of finding one. Thanks for the information!
Turns the 1 in ~11 probability of of finding a 6bbl GT into a 1 in ~21 chance lol. Crazy how low a percentage take on 6bbls was.

There is some literature mentioning the V-code being offered really early on for the '71 model year. Wonder if that was printed before this SG30 report came out?

I’m trying to remember, but for all the world cannot, the name of the book series, which included all the cars sold the previous year. The 1971 book would give numbers of the 1970 cars, and so on. Anyone recall the name?

Back