The Right Car and the Right Deal. . .

Ripinator

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Saturday a week ago, I made the deal and acquired a '66 Chrysler 300 convertible with the TNT engine. As many of you know, since I joined C-Bodies Only nearly three years ago, I have had no C-body - just the C-Body burn. I guess patience really does pay off.

All along, I wanted a slabby or a fusey 300 with the TNT engine - and preferably a convertible, but I needed a situation where the seller would entertain a trade along with some cash. I finally found both the right car and the right deal at the same time. Woo Hoo !

No pictures yet, but as soon as I get 'em, copious numbers of pictures will be posted.

Anywho, I am to pick up the car in North Carolina this coming Saturday and drive it back to Maryland - about a 350 mile trip. Although I drove the car about five miles when I looked at it a little over a week ago, I'm a little leery about the prospect of driving it that far back home. The engine runs good and the transmission shifts good. Its got new Hankook 14" tires on it. The drum brakes work really well, it doesn't over heat, and the hoses and belts are all new. Despite my hesitation and concerns, I'm gonna take the leap and drive it home Saturday anyway. What the hell. . . Its an adventure - Right?

My question to the collective is: Other than a fire extinguisher, what should I do / bring in preparation for this trip?

water. for you and for the car. separate water.
xmission juice
oil
maybe a rad hose and clamps
some 3/8 rubber fuel hose. for repair or for siphon.
pliers, screwdriver, adj wrench. maybe even a 50-in-1 kit or so.
munchies.
etc

Congrats on the purchase. If driving take as much spare parts as possible with you, knowledge how to replace repair (service manual) and tools. If space dictates few items them have all of the parts you need purchased at a local parts store in city of the 300. Then you can pick them up there. Don't forget engine,trans oil, stop leak for oil and radiator. Buy extra antifreeze and bring along nice flashlight. If you can join Hagerty or AARP to get roadside assistance/towing. And don't forget proper collector car insurance. P.S. if space allows a compact jack and a 4x4 (small) for jacking up the car. Obviously a cell phone (that has coverage in those areas) and a reflective vest. I even have a jumper pack. Its a long list but but you asked for our opinions.

Last edited:
Oh my god I can't wait to see it!
Buy a quart of 2 cycle oil with TC-W3 to add to your gas for the trip, 1 oz per 5 gallons and if engine oil with a good amount of zinc isn't currently in it take some zddp to add to it.

In addition to what Pete said, I'd grab a fuel pump, tools to replace it, and some hose to fix trans cooling lines. You'll be fine.

Congratulations. ..

I almost always drive a car back, when it's close enough and this one is. It sounds like it's been kept up with so I wouldn't be too concerned.
Basic hand tools as mentioned, a quart of oil maybe trans fluid. Many will say a ballast resistor but I've never had on go bad.

Oh my god I can't wait to see it!
Buy a quart of 2 cycle oil with TC-W3 to add to your gas for the trip, 1 oz per 5 gallons and if engine oil with a good amount of zinc isn't currently in it take some zddp to add to it.

Matt! Are you one the people I "converted" regarding marine oil with TC-W3? Been using it for years now. And yes. I'm planning to bring a can of ZDDP.

Matt! Are you one the people I "converted" regarding marine oil with TC-W3? Been using it for years now. And yes. I'm planning to bring a can of ZDDP.
Was that you???

[QUOTE="Ripinator,

Despite my hesitation and concerns, I'm gonna take the leap and drive it home Saturday anyway. What the hell. . . Its an adventure - Right?

My question to the collective is: Other than a fire extinguisher, what should I do / bring in preparation for this trip?[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the new car and on your decision to drive it home. You'll know a lot more about it when you get there. I would recommend a "back road route" as opposed to the interstate. Slow & easy, and a lot more fun.

Lots of good advice here. Are you driving to pick it up....? Then a few spare parts, (fuel pump & filter), etc. Gas & water containers. A basic took kit.
I'm a AAA premium member. If you get within 200 miles they will Flatbed you home if needed.

Good luck and keep a photo journal of the trip..........

Will.

Last edited:
You've gotten great advice through this post. I made break-down kits for all four of my vehicles and here is the list. It could be more but I wanted to keep the size small enough to not be intrusive but small repairs could be made on the road to keep me going. I keep these kits in the vehicles all the time except to change batteries in the flashlight.

Shopping bag to put garbage in.
Leather gloves to work on hot items.
Hand cleaner
UV rated zip ties
Quality duct tape
Silicone rescue tape for emergency hose repair. Rescue Tape - The World's #1 Self-Fusing Silicone Tape
Shop rag.
fold able razor knife.
Emergency tool, mainly to help others in an accident.
Locktite threadlocker.
Permatex Form-a-gasket.
Pliers, crescent wrench, and six way screwdriver.
Small tactical flashlight that you can hold in your mouth. (WITH FRESH BATTERIES)
As someone else said, AAA card.

Some additional things that I would ad for trips would be:
Quality socket set.
Boots.
Old clothes to work in if possible.
Rain gear.
50/50 pre-mixed antifreeze.
Oil.
Trans fluid
PS fluid.

DSC02679.JPG
DSC02680.JPG

[QUOTE="Ripinator,

Despite my hesitation and concerns, I'm gonna take the leap and drive it home Saturday anyway. What the hell. . . Its an adventure - Right?

My question to the collective is: Other than a fire extinguisher, what should I do / bring in preparation for this trip?

Congrats on the new car and on your decision to drive it home. You'll know a lot more about it when you get there. I would recommend a "back road route" as opposed to the interstate. Slow & easy, and a lot more fun.

Lots of good advice here. Are you driving to pick it up....? Then a few spare parts, (fuel pump & filter), etc. Gas & water containers. A basic took kit.
I'm a AAA premium member. If you get within 200 miles they will Flatbed you home if needed.

Good luck and keep a photo journal of the trip..........

Will.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Wil. I am planning a back road route via US 29 and US 340. My classic car insurance will get me a fifty mile tow. I ordered a few spare parts (belts, etc. from RockAuto), and I got the tools and containers covered.

Last edited:
You've gotten great advice through this post. I made break-down kits for all four of my vehicles and here is the list. It could be more but I wanted to keep the size small enough to not be intrusive but small repairs could be made on the road to keep me going. I keep these kits in the vehicles all the time except to change batteries in the flashlight.

Shopping bag to put garbage in.
Leather gloves to work on hot items.
Hand cleaner
UV rated zip ties
Quality duct tape
Silicone rescue tape for emergency hose repair. Rescue Tape - The World's #1 Self-Fusing Silicone Tape
Shop rag.
fold able razor knife.
Emergency tool, mainly to help others in an accident.
Locktite threadlocker.
Permatex Form-a-gasket.
Pliers, crescent wrench, and six way screwdriver.
Small tactical flashlight that you can hold in your mouth. (WITH FRESH BATTERIES)
As someone else said, AAA card.

Some additional things that I would ad for trips would be:
Quality socket set.
Boots.
Old clothes to work in if possible.
Rain gear.
50/50 pre-mixed antifreeze.
Oil.
Trans fluid
PS fluid.

View attachment 78720 View attachment 78721

Thank you, Shooter for that exhaustive list of stuff.

Back