The Satellite is back in the game....we almost

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
So after being in the shop on stands for the past 2 months I finely backed her out under her own power. New 3K stall converter, mini starter, Super Stock springs, Comp adjustable shocks , wheel studs & open lug nuts.and 29 X 10 slicks. She is sitting about 3 inches higher in the rear. I called Mancini Racing & ordered some pinion angle shims to correct that. Still need to get some spacers to help the slicks clear cause its a bit close. Did a couple of dry hops in the driveway with the converter at 1800. It felt good. Now finish the details, give her a bath & find the time to get it to a track. That was a lot of work. Sure hope it pays off.

satellite drag car 023.jpg

satellite drag car 034.jpg

satellite drag car 032.jpg

satellite drag car 037.jpg

Very nice Bob. I have had a few of those in my day. Large, light, and fast. Now, let's line it up with one of my Malibus....

Thanks Andy. I'll race anybody bracket style, but heads up....naaaaa Little ole 318 street motor in the car right now. A friend gave me a 440 , but its smokes a bit. So maybe next year she will have some serious hinney. Its going back on the stands tomorrow as more parts arrived. After I get this stuff installed I'm gonna play even if I have to push it down the track. Tired of working on it. --->for now...LOL

Very nice car and looking forward to you posting some times.

Thanks for the comps. It looks better in the pic's the in the steel. Needs a new paint job. Its just a 318 bracket basher. Curently runs 8.70's shifting at a lazy 4600. Just completely redid the rear suspension along with a new converter and a few other changes, so hoping for a 8.60 or better. Ok I'm really hoping for an 8.50 to be honest, but it make take a while to dial the shocks in.

Thanks for the comps. It looks better in the pic's the in the steel. Needs a new paint job. Its just a 318 bracket basher. Curently runs 8.70's shifting at a lazy 4600. Just completely redid the rear suspension along with a new converter and a few other changes, so hoping for a 8.60 or better. Ok I'm really hoping for an 8.50 to be honest, but it make take a while to dial the shocks in.

1/8 mile...right? Had me fooled with how the car looks! I thought it was a 10 second car. After the 440..! What do you have done to the 318 to make it that fast? If the car is running an 8.70 in the 1/8,...I would think it would be in the mid to upper 13s in the 1/4. That's pretty nice! My buddy back in the 80s had 440 69 Cornet. Car was crazy fast and fun to drive in. Keep us posted on the times. Your car is badass.

Satellite

I like it, what's planned for the 440? mild or wild?

It will be mild. I am running a spool with stock axels & thats a no no. Getting away with it cause the 318 has low torque & the small slicks. Now that I have the 29 inchers & the SS springs a strong 440 may just snap the axels. The 440 came out of a 77 police car so we are thinking the stock cam & maybe degree it for bottom end torque. Jegs/Summit has a good price of 440 fordge pistons so will ge those. Stealth heads, eddy intake, source water pump & housing all to cut some weight. Should easily have a 100 more HP than I have now. Should hold up & be much quicker. Thats the plan. I will put the current drive train in a sweet M body car I have been saving for a cool street car. All it takes is money & time. Seems like when I have one I dont have the other. And yes thanks for the kind words!!!

1/8 mile...right? Had me fooled with how the car looks! I thought it was a 10 second car. After the 440..! What do you have done to the 318 to make it that fast? If the car is running an 8.70 in the 1/8,...I would think it would be in the mid to upper 13s in the 1/4. That's pretty nice! My buddy back in the 80s had 440 69 Cornet. Car was crazy fast and fun to drive in. Keep us posted on the times. Your car is badass.

Yep 8.70's in the 1/8 Has been in the 8.50's with good air & track prep. The 318 has J heads, 340 cam, Eddy intake & carb, headers, Car has cutted interior with 8 pt cage & sub connectors. Shift at 4600 simply cause I dont want to hurt it as I have so much money & time invested. If I spin it to 6K it is quicker, but It will cause the rockers (cheapo Proform) to back off & have to readjust them. To darn lazy to do that after every pass. I did 1 quarter mile TNT with it several years ago. It ran a 13.7 something. 318's are underrated. The darn things will run & are fairly cheap. Around here people will give them to you just to get them out of their way.

Bob, we both know a 440 doesn't take much to run like stink. Gonna be a fun project once you get through the "leave it in drive, run the number, get the sticker ands case of oil" thing you got going on.

Not much of a bracket guy. but run 99% heads up. Unless there is a guaranteed payout. Two 9 second street cars will do

Bob, we both know a 440 doesn't take much to run like stink. Gonna be a fun project once you get through the "leave it in drive, run the number, get the sticker ands case of oil" thing you got going on.

Not much of a bracket guy. but run 99% heads up. Unless there is a guaranteed payout. Two 9 second street cars will do

Yea I know a lot of folks dont like bracket racing. However I look at it like this. Its a sport & has its unique challenges. Dail in racing means you really need to know your car. Because the weather can change during the event. Heck even duing the round. I can be in the stanging lanes in the bright sun & by the time I'm on the starting line a cloud comes over & drops the temp 10 degrees. Also some of these veterns are crafty. They know how to cheat or at lease bend the rules. I have been snookered a few times. At both ends of the track (bumper droppers). I now have some of my own little tricks I use to trick a faster car into hitting his nitrous & force a break out. Althoug it seems like evey time I snooker one of the 6 sec. cars I usually loose the next round because I didn't have consistant data from the previous pass. So thats why bracket racing is so darn hard. The best way to go rounds & collect steak money is to hit the tree really good & pound out consistant et's & keep up with conditions. I get a lot of these tuner guys with their turbo gee wiz Hondas that challenge me to a heads up race. So far I'm undefeated. I had one guy on my door though.

Yea I know a lot of folks dont like bracket racing. However I look at it like this. Its a sport & has its unique challenges. Dail in racing means you really need to know your car. Because the weather can change during the event. Heck even duing the round. I can be in the stanging lanes in the bright sun & by the time I'm on the starting line a cloud comes over & drops the temp 10 degrees. Also some of these veterns are crafty. They know how to cheat or at lease bend the rules. I have been snookered a few times. At both ends of the track (bumper droppers). I now have some of my own little tricks I use to trick a faster car into hitting his nitrous & force a break out. Althoug it seems like evey time I snooker one of the 6 sec. cars I usually loose the next round because I didn't have consistant data from the previous pass. So thats why bracket racing is so darn hard. The best way to go rounds & collect steak money is to hit the tree really good & pound out consistant et's & keep up with conditions. I get a lot of these tuner guys with their turbo gee wiz Hondas that challenge me to a heads up race. So far I'm undefeated. I had one guy on my door though.

My knuckle dragging, chevelle driving neighbor/friend is into bracket racing. He seems to love it and spends a crap load of money doing it.

LOL. We have a few of those here too. I love it. The part I like the most is when we are all lined up in the staging lines & they give the signal to fire the engines, Sitting in the car with the helmet on listening to the cam,engine cackle & the sheet metal vibrating with all the other engines is music to my ears. And to go a few rounds makes all the hard work worth it to me.

Back