Where is the best place to put floor stands in the back.

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to do various work in the back of my car, like drop the fuel tank, change the shock. Where is the best area to put floor stands? I have a MGB and I put them under the rear axle but it weighs half of what my 300 weighs.

My personal choice is right in front of where the leaf springs attach to the reinforced section of the unitized body.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Depending on the work that needs to be done I utilize the same place that Stan is referring to or under the axle housing.

I agree with that placement too. That will also keep the stands out of the way of all of the work you'll be doing back there.

Safety is a big part of any repair. Don't go under the car with just a jack holding up the car. Inspect the jackstands before using them to make sure thet aren't bent or cracked and the pin or ratchet assembly to raise or lower the height is 100% operational. Once you get the car sitting on the jackstands, give the car a good shake to make sure the car is supported securely and properly. Now you are ready to go to work under the car.

Safety? Again? You'd hate to see me under a car

Especially if the car fell on you. But I know you are working safely with jack stands. Some people on this site are just starting to work on cars and a safety tip now and again might help them.

Safety is a big part of any repair. Don't go under the car with just a jack holding up the car. Inspect the jackstands before using them to make sure thet aren't bent or cracked and the pin or ratchet assembly to raise or lower the height is 100% operational. Once you get the car sitting on the jackstands, give the car a good shake to make sure the car is supported securely and properly. Now you are ready to go to work under the car.[/QUOTE

Some of us are just more saftey minded. I am that way myself, my employees are always rolling their eyes when I tell them to stop doing something because it's unsafe. I just so happen to have been under cars for 30 years, but a newbie when it come to a big C-body. I like the tip shaking tbe car before getting under it I do the same thing before climbing a ladder.

I choose the same place as the other, but I use a 12" chunk of 2x4, or 2x6 between the jack stand and the body. This helps disperse the load over a wider area, and helps to not crinkle any existing metal.

Hey, I change the air freshener when I can
Do you open the cellophane wrapper with scissors for a precision triangular cut at the top to expose the pine tree or do you tear it open using your teeth?

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Back