The Sport Fury S/23: how many survived?

Fate found, LOL I have this car ended up on Vancouver Island and I bought it 4 months ago. Wow!!!!!!

Barn Find: Found on Vancouver Island BC in the outskirts of Courtney sitting on the side of a driveway took a picture two years ago driving by on the way to go fishing for salmon. 4 months ago went to visit my family in Courtney and they had planned a white water rafting day which I passed on because of a knee injury. So I slept in and then later that day went to a microbrewery and had a couple tasty beers. Having more time to kill I thought of the Mopar that I saw two years ago and set out to find it. I found it very quickly because the town is so small. I knocked on the door and asked if it was for sale and the owner said I'm finally ready to sell it but I'm firm on 2K CDN. I had to be at a family dinner so I gave him $100 to hold it till I could pay the balance. My family said I got ripped off because I bought it without hearing it run, never looked inside it or anything. Next day I left to go home to Florida so my brother in law who lives there went and paid the difference owed and had it towed to a garage that knew how to work on classic cars. I had the mechanic read me off the fender tag and I proceeded to decode the car. I found out it was a S/23 which I had never heard of and found out they were rare. Having owned many Mopars but only Dodge cars I had no idea what I had found. I figured for 2K CDN it didn’t matter what the condition of the drive train was. I told the mechanic that he had an open checkbook and to fix everything that needed to make it run and figured that would take a month. The mechanic called me back at the end of the day and told me it was all set, I was shocked and started to ask him about everything that should be checked and he came back with the car is mechanically in great shape because it has only 57K on it and he charged me 500 CDN. I freaked because I never asked any questions because I bought it on the run. LOL I found out it was a one owner car and left to his daughter after he passed and she didn’t know what it was other than a big boat and ugly to her and her husband. The car was put on a flatbed taken to the ferry then to the mainland in Vancouver and off to Florida. I am fortunate to have one of the best Mopar guys in the country right in my backyard and he went over the entire car and made every little thing work to perfection. He told me he had never seen one in person and it was truly a rare bird. Picking it up from his shop tomorrow morning. The car is nicely optioned, numbers matching and has some great performance upgrades.

View attachment 105280

Thanks for sharing the story. Neat car. Sounds like it has a great home. Sometimes you get lucky.
I am a bit curious as to what the original colour combo was? Any chance you could post up a pic of the fender tag?

Thanks,
Dave

Fate found, LOL I have this car ended up on Vancouver Island and I bought it 4 months ago. Wow!!!!!!

Barn Find: Found on Vancouver Island BC in the outskirts of Courtney sitting on the side of a driveway took a picture two years ago driving by on the way to go fishing for salmon. 4 months ago went to visit my family in Courtney and they had planned a white water rafting day which I passed on because of a knee injury. So I slept in and then later that day went to a microbrewery and had a couple tasty beers. Having more time to kill I thought of the Mopar that I saw two years ago and set out to find it. I found it very quickly because the town is so small. I knocked on the door and asked if it was for sale and the owner said I'm finally ready to sell it but I'm firm on 2K CDN. I had to be at a family dinner so I gave him $100 to hold it till I could pay the balance. My family said I got ripped off because I bought it without hearing it run, never looked inside it or anything. Next day I left to go home to Florida so my brother in law who lives there went and paid the difference owed and had it towed to a garage that knew how to work on classic cars. I had the mechanic read me off the fender tag and I proceeded to decode the car. I found out it was a S/23 which I had never heard of and found out they were rare. Having owned many Mopars but only Dodge cars I had no idea what I had found. I figured for 2K CDN it didn’t matter what the condition of the drive train was. I told the mechanic that he had an open checkbook and to fix everything that needed to make it run and figured that would take a month. The mechanic called me back at the end of the day and told me it was all set, I was shocked and started to ask him about everything that should be checked and he came back with the car is mechanically in great shape because it has only 57K on it and he charged me 500 CDN. I freaked because I never asked any questions because I bought it on the run. LOL I found out it was a one owner car and left to his daughter after he passed and she didn’t know what it was other than a big boat and ugly to her and her husband. The car was put on a flatbed taken to the ferry then to the mainland in Vancouver and off to Florida. I am fortunate to have one of the best Mopar guys in the country right in my backyard and he went over the entire car and made every little thing work to perfection. He told me he had never seen one in person and it was truly a rare bird. Picking it up from his shop tomorrow morning. The car is nicely optioned, numbers matching and has some great performance upgrades.

View attachment 105280
Nice!

Thanks for sharing the story. Neat car. Sounds like it has a great home. Sometimes you get lucky.
I am a bit curious as to what the original colour combo was? Any chance you could post up a pic of the fender tag?

Thanks,
Dave
I decoded the car and so did Jim Drain (One of the best Mopar Resto shops in the country) and its 100% all original. Sunfire yellow, original interior and carpets ect. Only change was aluminum heads and Edelbrock carb and intake. Block is original so is trans and rear end. Will post more pics when I get it home. I have some pics the owners daughter sent me in the process of the purchase and will post them. Picking up the car at Jim Drains shop tomorrow will post picture of fender tag.

That would be cool to see the pics...did she happen to have any old pics of the car too? What colour is the interior? I can't quite make it out.

Dave

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

That would be cool to see the pics...did she happen to have any old pics of the car too? What colour is the interior? I can't quite make it out.

Dave
Like a saddle brown having a hard time matching it up two very close colors of brown. The front seats are in perfect condition but the top of the back seat is bad do to a window leak from being left out in the BC everyday rain, needs a headliner, dash pad and the plastic cover that's on the back of the drivers seat which got damaged in the transport. Original carpet is in pretty good shape so I wont replace it.

Oh, I bet.... grinning ear to ear on the steal/ find of your life
Shipping was $2600 and the car US was $1473 with the exchange LOL. But just spent $2800 to have it perfect on all switches, buzzers, leaks and a bunch of other issues it had. The original motor was rebuilt but not enough cam to utilize the aluminum heads intake and carb. It will need 570 lift cam and a gear change from 323 to the 354 to give it some pep. After the drive train I will get her a new coat of paint and then the interior. Will post a pic of the fender tag tomorrow.

Shipping was $2600 and the car US was $1473 with the exchange LOL. But just spent $2800 to have it perfect on all switches, buzzers, leaks and a bunch of other issues it had. The original motor was rebuilt but not enough cam to utilize the aluminum heads intake and carb. It will need 570 lift cam and a gear change from 323 to the 354 to give it some pep. After the drive train I will get her a new coat of paint and then the interior. Will post a pic of the fender tag tomorrow.
Still a pretty good deal for under 7K all in.

First of all congratulations on your purchase

Does it still have original paint currently?
If so it should stay that way because it still seems to be in decent shape IMHO

Why did you install the heads/cam/intake etc?
It is a rare original car not a massproduction car like a Charger etc so why "hot rod" it?

Carsten

of all places Courtenay....my old stompin grounds...hopefully the salt air wasn't hard on it....believe its saveing grace was it wasn't on the island the whole time

Some guys have all the luck. Wow. What a score. Congrats.

And yep, you have the Brougham interior in Tan. Pretty rare. You can get original material from SMS Fabrics and have your seat repaired. They'll also have a correct headliner as well.

Get your dash pad from Bob at ABC Moparts. I just got one this last week for my 70. ABC Moparts - Dash Pads & Interior Parts for A-Body. B-Body, C-Body & E-Body

70_Fury0003.jpg
70_Fury0004.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I can tell you right now you want to pull that rear window and clean out the rust that is forming. If there aren't holes in the channel already, it's well on its way. I'm repairing mine this long weekend. While time consuming, cutting out the rot and welding in some new sheet metal is the only way to do it.

-1.jpg

Back