Thermoquad questions

Jeff4547

Reaction score
I know that this may open a can of worms, but.....
i have a 1965 Custom 880 project car. It has a 383 with a 727 transmission. I did a top end. Put in electronic ignition, and the Edelbrock Performer package (performer cam, intake). I put on an Edelbrock 800 Cfm, just to get it running (only paid $100.00).
I knew the 800 was too much, but it got the motor started and running. Now I am ready to re size the carb. I have a 9245s thermoquad core. I know very little about these and am looking for resources. It looks complicated so I will probably send it out for restoration. (Need to find a good place). Is there any way to trace back what year it is or what block it came from? There are a ton of air/vacuum connections, is there a road map for all these connections? At this point, I would appreciate any resources or points of view. I decided to go with thermoquad because it keeps the car "Mopar", they were awsome carbs, and I love the sound of them when the secondaries kick in.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
1979 318 AT California.
It's a doorstop.
Put on a new Edelbrock 650.
Cheaper, faster, better.

Oops, Brian beat me to it.
Consider it confirmation, then. Lol

RE: Harms.
Best TQ restorer in the world.
He rebuilt mine. $$$!
Still needed tuning.
Finally tuned and several hundred miles later, engine ran like crap AGAIN.
TQ went into box, Edelbrock went in, runs like it was Fuel Injected now.
Wanna buy mine?

Thanks Commando1,
this is what I was looking for. Linkage looks like constant adjustments. Still like the thermoquad, but maybe I will look again at the Edelbrock or Demon carbs

TQs are great Carbs just got to know what you are doing with them. My dads Swinger 340 has a 73 440 TQ and runs like a scalded cat.

TQs are great Carbs just got to know what you are doing with them. My dads Swinger 340 has a 73 440 TQ and runs like a scalded cat.

This is true...but a lot of people don't want to have the routine maintenance required to run a TQ. The TQ I'm using right now has been pretty darn reliable...it has been on 3 motors, and was rebuilt and set-up by me over 7 years ago. I can't complain about that.

But to address the earlier statement. Just because your carb is a 800Cfm unit...does not mean it is too much carb for your motor. If rebuilt, and set-up properly, the carb should run just fine. I have run a 800cfm eddy on a bone stock 383 with absolutely no issue. The OEM numbers carb was rated a 625cfm and it would just top out, flat line, I could tell the motor had more in it. After I put the 800 on it the motor would pull until red-line.

The car starts, idles and runs good with the 800cfm, but when I put the gas pedal down, it just dies. Not sure if I can get a smaller pump, but will check with Edelbrock. That would save a lot of $$$. Thanks for all the input!

I'm really keen on Carter AFBs myself. More ere-appropriate too. The 4131 would rock. That said, the Edelbrock can be made to work well. I must suggest that if you can't whip the Edelbrock into shape in short order, then, the TQ may be a more significant challenge. Tuning parts for the Edelbrock are easy to find. TQs and AFBs, not quite the same. In particular, a good selection of the older three-step metering rods and their respective jets are getting hard to find but a carb that does use them can be changed over to two-step rods just fine.

The car starts, idles and runs good with the 800cfm, but when I put the gas pedal down, it just dies. Not sure if I can get a smaller pump, but will check with Edelbrock. That would save a lot of $$$. Thanks for all the input!

Well with that statement I think it's a carb issue...tuning, adjustment or internal parts issue. I would pull the Eddy and put a rebuild kit in it an follow the detailed "set-up" instructions to the finest detail.

Is it a thunder series with the secondary air door on top. If it is a thunder series the air door is adjusted via spring tension and will make it bog if it opens early.

Back