Tilt-A-Scope Steering in 66 New Yorker hellp??

hotdog647

Reaction score
So we picked up another slab side New Yorker 4 dr HT to re-sell, and it looks like originally it was a highly optioned car-rear defrost, A/C, autopilot(gone) and Tilt-A-Scope steering wheel etc.. The FSM doesn't say much about the Tilt-A-Scope except it having an externally mounted turn signal switch. Reason I'm asking is I think it might look better in my car instead of looking back in a few years kicking my self remembering it in one I sold. Has anyone ever swapped or worked on one of these? I'm especially wondering about the turn signal lever and whether it screws in or bolts on-sounds different than non-tilt. And does anyone have a spare auto pilot catching dust?

So after sitting here as the rain passed, I started thinking: this didn't look like the 65's and 66's steering wheels on the other cars I have or have sold. I uncovered the project and this is what I found:

steering.jpg
Looks like an Imperial? Still. . . .

steering.jpg

Last edited:
Looks identical to '67 but I know that the turn signal switch changed in '67. It is mounted internally below the wheel. So if you want to put a '66 column into a '67+ car you may have some issues with connections.

The turn signal lever screws into a rod that connects the cam with the switch. Look for a pair of flat spots on the lever shaft, you can use a wrench on it there.

I swapped a Tilt-O-Scope column into my silver Custom from a parts car. There is a difference between column shift and floor shift steering columns as well.

I was able to get a new TS switch from Shee-Mar.com. But again it is for a '67 column. It took nearly 6 months for them to produce and ship it. I learned a lot from talking with them.

The Tilt-O-Scope column was made by Saginaw which was a GM supplier. Chrysler took a GM column and retrofitted it to their specs. which meant redesigning the TS switch. I wasn't surprised when they told me the GM switch was a weak design.

The new Shee-Mar switch required some altering to work, but it did work.

I have pics of some of the parts if you have a need in the future.

Hope the input helps.

John

I have one in my 68 Fury. If this helps, these early ones weren't made by Chrysler but purchased from GM/Saginaw steering, (I think they still had the patent or something), so parts aren't as hard to find as you'd think. I believe the internals are the same as on Olds or Cadillac of those years and the only difference being the wheel itself and the interface with the steering box. I've never had mine apart but the manual lists allot of "special" tools for the job. Good luck
1968 Plym Conv 03.jpg

1968 Plym Conv 03.jpg

Back