time to ask the gurus. overheating.

Unless they change some major parts of their business plan soon...

Thank God. they're terribly run. Not a single one I have been in is proficient at getting customers out the door. I REFUSE to go in one. I'll travel the extra 9 miles to go to Advance if the locals don't have it over going to autozone.

Thank God. they're terribly run. Not a single one I have been in is proficient at getting customers out the door. I REFUSE to go in one. I'll travel the extra 9 miles to go to Advance if the locals don't have it over going to autozone.

Must be a regional issue. Not that there are any REAL parts stores anymore ...... but Autozone is the first place I go to around here.

Locally, Auto Zone (aka VatoZone, AutoZoned, AutoStoned) sucks. Great place to buy oil, but sucks for quality parts. I don't want to replace an alternator every year (or less). Their hard parts are noted for their high failure rates - unless something has changed drastically as oof late!

NAPA has the parts, but they are expensive, usually do NOT provide discounts, and if you order a part from a warehouse that is not local, they charge you for the shipping! And if it's wrong, tough!

O'Reillys is great here! I've had very few parts go bad from there, or be defective from the box. They offer several discounts, also, and they don't hesitate to price-match.

CarQuest (aka CarGuess) sucks. I actually had a young countergirl ask "What's a carb float?" when I went to get a float for a Carter carb. No, thanks.

Advance is OK, but I really don't do enough business with them to judge good, bad, or fair.

I'll NEVER use a Pep Boys store for anything - ever! They are the worst of the worst, for a lot of reasons.

I really miss the local mom-n-pop auto parts store that was right down the street - this was up to around 1999. They simply lost the desire to compete against the big names, and closed shop. Shame, too. They were terrific folks to deal with, knew you by name, and generally had whatever you wanted right there!

Anywhere you go these days you need to be a prepared and educated as possible. You can't rely on the counter people to help find the correct part....... even with an air filter for a 69 Chrysler. You need to be able to tell them how to find your stuff ..... part numbers, models, cross references etc.
I guess thats to be expected when dealing with 35+ year old cars that most counter people have never heard of.

I like to use the Rockauto site to nail down the part number of what I need and take that to the local auto store.

On filters and such, I've done enough Mopars and Fords over the years to where I know the various part numbers for what I need. I also use rockauto.com for price comparisons. I have had great luck with rockauto in those instances where I've ordered parts from them. Only once have I ever received the wrong part from RA (a choke pull-off for a Buick, for which there were three possiblities for that ONE carb!), and it was more to send it back than what I would've received in a refund. So, it sits on a shelf in my shop.

YOU research and buy it online.
You pick it up at the closest store.
If you are confused on what to look up, research, and buy, ask here.
Only.

All of the auto retailers pay these guys $8-9 an hour. I don't expect 19 year Smitty to know too much about anything automotive. Most of them try to help you and that is all you can really expect. I research everything myself and order it online and pick it up at the store.

New radiator came from advance today, installed , filled, burped, 70 miles ran dead on 190 degrees.

Posted via Topify on Android

Back