TIRE PREFERENCES

trasmon

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

What types of tires are you all running on your Imperials? Bias Ply or Radial? Which brands/styles of tires seem to work best? I have an old set of radials on my 66 that need to be replaced. I like the idea of returning mine closer to its original appearance. I never drove my Imperial much with the bias ply tires that came with it, so I don't truly understand the difference from experience. Just as a reference, I typically drive mine about 1,000 miles a year.

I called Coker Tire and they told me about the options below. Has anyone tried any of these?

Bias Ply
BFGoodrich 1.00 Inch Whitewall | 900-15

Radial made to like a Bias Ply
American Classic Radial | 1 Inch Whitewall | 820R15

Thanks,

- Travis

Hi everyone!

What types of tires are you all running on your Imperials? Bias Ply or Radial? Which brands/styles of tires seem to work best? I have an old set of radials on my 66 that need to be replaced. I like the idea of returning mine closer to its original appearance. I never drove my Imperial much with the bias ply tires that came with it, so I don't truly understand the difference from experience. Just as a reference, I typically drive mine about 1,000 miles a year.

I called Coker Tire and they told me about the options below. Has anyone tried any of these?

Bias Ply
BFGoodrich 1.00 Inch Whitewall | 900-15

Radial made to like a Bias Ply
American Classic Radial | 1 Inch Whitewall | 820R15

Thanks,

- Travis
Coker Tire has developed a reputation for poor quality over the past years, especially with their bias ply tires. I have heard good things about Diamondback Tires, but have no personal experience.

IMHO, having driven cars like ours with both radials and non-radials, the radials will win every time. Better ride and performance.

If you are not going for a show restoration tire, the Nexen is a very good choice for our heavy Imperials and C-bodies.

Would not be original appearance but lots of good sporty SUV ties out there. 15" will be a challenge.
I run HP SUV tires on my fury, love them. 17" tho

I went for Michelin Defender LTXs. They are fantastic but expensive. I want ride quality and good fitment over looks on a car that will get driven.

I went for Michelin Defender LTXs. They are fantastic but expensive. I want ride quality and good fitment over looks on a car that will get driven.
I am looking to see if I can make a white wall out of an LTX. On the list of projects I have to take care of.

Back