Tire question’s from a novice.

NYBroughamBitch

Reaction score
As a novice, I have numerous questions. Please bare with me. Any advice is hugely appreciated….✊
My driver side front tire is completely flat and am in panic mode!!
I was told that when I bought it 8 years ago it had the original tires with the white walls.
At this point I fear that the tire is probably damaged without repair and now concerned about the rim and the weight affecting it. (It has only been flat, Completely flat for close to 2 days). That said I figured I’d just spring for new tires all together……..Or… since my ultimate goal is to go for the “stink bug” affect, with the rear a bit elevated. My plan is to have it towed to a tire repair shop .. Les Schwab, tire factory, or discount tires are what came to mind supposing they may have them in stock.?? Is it possible to rotate a rear tire in replacement of the flat, and then buy larger tires and just replace the rear ones with a larger size? I also came upon an article that said white walls were no longer manufactured, which seems hard to believe. I read the specs on the vehicle and the ‘73 appears to be of Unicorn status and I’m finding conflicting information often confusing the 2 door with the 4 (mine is 4). Not sure if there’s even a difference in wheels period. Based on what I read on the current wheels and really have no idea what means what but here goes-

American Bronze
235/75R15

Upon researching on google-
All 4 wheels - 5- 1/2jjx5
Tires-15-hr78
assuming my current tires are 15”? Seems to be standard for these. Can I actually put 17”or 18” to accomplish my rear lift?
Additionally, I have the original hub caps and beauty rings.. will either of those affect my potential idea?
Lastly, am I just screwed because my car is sitting on its rim?? Help

If your car is a 1973 and still has the original tires get 4 new tires ASAP for safety reasons.

First, if your tires are indeed "original", you've been on borrowed time. Rubber isn't like fine wine, it doesn't age well. You don't want to be driving on them period. Chances are they aren't... But we've never known a seller to lie about these things, right? LOL!

Next, if they are indeed "original" tires, the tire shop isn't going to care and the tires will just get tossed.... You don't want to drive on them, but geez.... original tires to the car are very rare.

You probably didn't ruin the tire. You would if you drove on it.... So there's that...

Do you know why it went flat? Slow leak perhaps? Bad tire valve?

It sounds like you can't change a tire yourself.... I don't know why and I won't judge. What you can do is go to your local Harbor Freight store and buy a cheap air compressor. One that plugs into your cigar lighter... You really should have one if you own an old car anyway (IMHO) Pump the tire up and see if it's flat the next day... or at least check the pressure. If you don't have one, pick up a tire pressure gauge too.

Once you've figured out if it's a slow leak or not, you now have the option of driving the car somewhere and getting the tires changed.... and hopefully you've both learned something and are a little more independent.

Size of your tires are written on the sidewall.

@NYBroughamBitch -- if the tires are 10+ years old, take them off. If you want to keep them for car shows, and have storage space, fine -- but in that case do as @Big_John recommends and make sure that they hold air. Regardless, do not drive on them for more than a very short distance: the rubber is old and a safety risk.

If your car is a 1973 NYB and you have the original rims, then the whitewall Hankook Kinergy ST in 235/75R15 will work very well. I have driven over 15k miles on those tires (1970 300 TNT, 1972 NYB, 1996 Fleetwood) and can confirm that they are great for our cars. (Edit: I checked, they are in stock at the Tire Rack)

Last edited:
All good advice above. Old tires are a no no. There are tires available in whitewalls and the ones suggested above are good. Make sure that wherever you end up getting the tires, ask them they have them in stock. Good luck.

I highly doubt that a 235 tire would be happy on a 5.5" rim. Even 215 is pushing it.

A 235/75-15 is going to be spec'd at 6.5" rim, with minimum 6" rim, and a ridiculous almost 29" diameter.

Last edited:
If the tires have metric sizing, they are not original. 235-75R15 is not an original tire. Also, it is taller than stock. I agree with changing all 4 tires.

I think 235-70R15 would be closer to the factory size. I run those on my 1970 Fury Convertible. Cooper tire is the brand I use.

yes you have 15 inch tires...that is the diameter of the rim...yes 17s or 18s can be installed but they would require 17 or 18 inch rims...no, your existing hubcaps will not fit a larger diameter rim and those sizes probably wouldnt be available as a plain steel wheel from a production car in your bolt pattern or offset...as in you're not going to find cheap used ones anywhere and will be paying big bucks for custom rims....a lot can happen to a car in 50 years and what it should have come with from the factory isn't necessarily what is on it now....with many of those decisions based on what the cheapest option was at the time....the width of the rim isn't measured at its outer edges, it's measured inside the lips where the bead of the tire seats against the rim...so only you know for sure whats currently on there

Last edited:
A 235/75-15 is going to be spec'd at 6.5" rim, with minimum 6" rim, and a ridiculous almost 29" diameter.
Like many other members’ cars, my 1970 300 TNT ´vert and 1972 NYB both sport Hankooks in that size. Do they look ridiculous to you? (Buttercup photo courtesy of @71Polara383)

58A7F7D8-9434-4DE8-9386-EC31BACC1615.jpeg

0F9C482A-77AF-4196-9EFD-D58DE900F726.jpeg

Last edited:
From what I can see, H78-15's cross to 225/75-15 or 235/70-15. Technically they would be 218/78-15, diameter 28.4 inches.

235/75-15's have a diameter about 1/2 larger than an H78 would have, about 8% wider. 1/2" difference in diameter would not be visually apparent. Being 235, I would hope you have 6.5 wide rims.

The OP mentioned 5.5" rims, but I don't see what car he's talking about. Any car with 5.5" rims (14 or 15 inch) would likely be spec'd for G78-14 or equivalent for 15" rims, having a diameter more like 26.5 inch. In that case, a tire that is 2" larger in diameter would be, to me, ridiculous.

Back