Tire size recommendation

Clayboy

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Need radial tires for my 1972 Dodge Polara Custom. It came with 15 wheels. Any recommendations - width and aspect ratio, are appreciated. I am trying to ensure I can still get an accurate speedometer reading.

Any brand favorites would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

Did the car come with G78-15 tires or H78-15 tires? G78-15s usually cross with P215/75R-15 and H78-15s usually cross with P225/75R-15s. Hankook Kinergy has some tires in that size, some with whitewalls, but there are other brands, too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Did the car come with G78-15 tires or H78-15 tires? G78-15s usually cross with P215/75R-15 and H78-15s usually cross with P225/75R-15s. Hankook Kinergy has some tires in that size, some with whitewalls, but there are other brands, too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Thank you.

It came with H78-15.

I have Michelin Defenders on my E-150 and I am going to put them on my Imperial. I have not found the correct double white line tires that I see in the Imperial brochures and doubt I ever will. In my mind safety and drivability are much more important than looks.

Maybe not the exact size here but Coker makes vintage correct tires.

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 7.12.37 AM.png

It's now about how fast you get through this, but how you get through this.

I had a 383 block in the house for near 2 years, became a real joke in my car community.

Or how I took a year to bust loose door mirror screws so I could replace them with stainless.

To me tire tread is everything on a rig, as well as sidewall appearance.

One of my biggest regrets restoring my '56 Pan - 30 years gone - was putting ugly modern and presumably better tires one it, rather than Cokers.

I would go with the Nexen AH5 white walls. 235/75R15. Heavy weight rating, good looks for an Imperial.

DA9BA289-679D-451C-922B-5B4AC9E27731.jpeg

I might be a bit monetarily conservative, sometimes, but paying over $200.00/tire for tires that MIGHT see 3000miles/year is just a bit too rich for my blood. No matter how cosmetically-correct they might be for the vehicle. But I know that everybody has their own sensitivity and affordability issues in this area, too. BTAIM

Problem is that part of my "aged baggage" is that I thought $75.00/tire was just right for the P225/70R-15 Radial TAs I put on my '77 Camaro back in the earlier 1980s. Now they are more like $160.00/tire. But then I remember 35cent/gallon ethyl gas, even 13cent/gallon regular during the price wars, too. Oh well . . .

Other rhan Corky Coker, the sizes that we need for our cars have been abandoned by the North American tire brands. Remember when H78-14 tires were everywhere, used on lots of cars other than C-body Chrysler products? Like '74 Ford Torino station wagons, for example. Yet, just as with car market or electronics-market segments the North American brands have abandoned, the Koreans and Japanese have filled the gaps nicely! FWIW

Enjoy!
CBODY67

It's become a bit of a struggle to find 185/70/14 for mid 90's Subaru wagons (mine), but they're still some decent choices like Defenders, but not nearly as much as 15's, you get into some nice Bridgestones, some of the toughest tires made and when you live in gravel like we do, that matters.

By 2000, Outbacks (hers) have 16's, then who knows what, prob up to 18's now.

Got my rig shod with Michelin X Ice right now, Japan made, reportedly the best ice tire out there.

I remember a Cosco tire employee telling me he couldn't get cars to spin out in the lot once X Ice tires were installed on customers cars being parked out in the snowy icy lot.

Back