To paint or not to paint

LocuMob

Fluid Technician with a hat
Reaction score
I have a 66 Polara that some goofballs before me painted primer over the factory paint to cover up some small dents. That doesn't concern me too much. The car is pretty solid, but had some light rust on the bottom of the right rear quarter. I was wondering how difficult it would be to repair that area without a donor panel off another car. Any suggestions? I have no problem leaving the patina it had in place.

Trunk extensions are readily available on Ebay and the outside sheet metal is straight forward. Nice winter project.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! The main thing you have to remember is that you have to cut out ALL of the rust or it'll just keep coming back.

Run away!! Run away!!!

I bought some of their stuff for my '53. It's all hand formed stuff built in someone's sheet metal shop with a shear and brake. I was just needing some floor pieces and inner rocker panels. After a lot of modifying, the panels kinda worked.... but it would have been easier to start from scratch.

I've posted about them before.... Absolute last ditch, I can't find it anywhere else, I'll make it work, sheet metal.

Better than nothing stuff, gives the illusion of factory in the ad.
For the money you might as well use raw stock.
If you want that factory look buy a parts car.

Alan

Agreed, I over paid for trunk extensions. My body guy used them and said they worked fine but he could have done the same with raw stock. Here are some pictures of how he approached the repair. He said he used the good side as template and reference for the repair.

Legs welded in.s.jpgRt quarter patch 1st step.sm.jpg

Rt quarter patch tacked in.sm.jpgQuarter repair.sm.jpg

Legs welded in.s.jpg

Rt quarter patch 1st step.sm.jpg

Rt quarter patch tacked in.sm.jpg

Quarter repair.sm.jpg

Run away!! Run away!!!

I bought some of their stuff for my '53. It's all hand formed stuff built in someone's sheet metal shop with a shear and brake. I was just needing some floor pieces and inner rocker panels. After a lot of modifying, the panels kinda worked.... but it would have been easier to start from scratch.

I've posted about them before.... Absolute last ditch, I can't find it anywhere else, I'll make it work, sheet metal.

agreed, i bought a front floor pan. warped,wrong thickness of metal, wrong shape.only used about 1/2 of the panel after modification.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be staying away from those pieces. Thought it was too good to be true.

Back