too lazy for torque specs

spstan

Reaction score
Now in the process of putting everything back together after replacing the timing chain on my 440. I've got about 25-30 bolts to reattach. If a person (such as myself) is too lazy to look up or determine torque specifications for individual bolts (cam gear, crank bolt , timing cover bolts) then what's wrong with hand tightening the bolts and using a little Loctite to make sure they don't loosen? Paul

No, no, do it correctly. If you ever need to remove them again you'll hate yourself for using that crap!

My motto: Do a job right or don't do it at all.

Now in the process of putting everything back together after replacing the timing chain on my 440. I've got about 25-30 bolts to reattach. If a person (such as myself) is too lazy to look up or determine torque specifications for individual bolts (cam gear, crank bolt , timing cover bolts) then what's wrong with hand tightening the bolts and using a little Loctite to make sure they don't loosen? Paul
Lot's of engines get put together without torque wrenches, but that doesn't make it right.

IMHO, I would use the torque wrench on the cam bolt at minimum. The crank bolt is tough to check torque, I just use my impact. Cover and water pump bolts aren't critical, just use some care to not over tighten.

Tightening Specs.jpg

If a person (such as myself) is too lazy to look up or determine torque specifications for individual bolts (cam gear, crank bolt , timing cover bolts) then what's wrong with hand tightening the bolts and using a little Loctite to make sure they don't loosen?
I'm flabbergasted that you would think that way, and even more flabbergasted that you would ask the question here.

Tighten them any way you want and live with the results, but to ask this forum if it's okay for you do it wrong is.....flabbergasting.

I'm flabbergasted that you would think that way, and even more flabbergasted that you would ask the question here.

Tighten them any way you want and live with the results, but to ask this forum if it's okay for you do it wrong is.....flabbergasting.
I agree. A person should be flamed endlessly for asking such an ignorant question but we are more mature here than that so we won’t.:poke::lol: Just use the damn torque wrench.

I'll just wait until he has to tighten the crush gasket in the rear end. You'll hear him coming from a mile away.

I'll just wait until he has to tighten the crush gasket in the rear end. You'll hear him coming from a mile away.
I had to think about that one for a few seconds :confused:, but when it dawned on me what you were talking about.....pretty damn funny!

[Edit: Because I call it a crush sleeve.] Still funny!

Back