Traction Bars on 65 Polara... Are they needed.

mopar_4life

Reaction score
Hello,

My 65 has a set of Traction Bars on it and I was wondering if it is really needed or is it something that should/can come off. As your can see in the picture that it and the rear end is painted yellow. So should I just paint them black and keep them on or remove it and still paint the rear end.

Thanks

Eric

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

Unless your springs are shot or you have a lot of HP there is really no need for them. They are really just to help prevent axle wrap, really no need on a factory setup.

I have always been told they are useless on a Mopar of the 60's and 70's

With the short leading portion of the leaf spring, pinion snubber and shock placement make these more useful on a Chevy or Ford.

Alan

Traction bars no.....headers absolutely!

Get rid of them...sell em on EB or something as a nostalgia piece. They were more "visual horsepower" than useful... especially if your not drag racing.

BTW... check out a few other's very large project threads... WOLLFEN has on one his Fury that gets a lot of action... consider doing that for your car, keeping all in one place will make it way easier for you to refer back to when your working on the car and the membership seems to enjoy helping and sharing opinions so you can use us for some of your "tire kicking" and planning when your away from your ride. Just forgive us for our ADD... the conversation will stray from time to time.

I have a 4 speed in my car, with drag radials it hits hard. I don't get any hop at all. If you get any hop, it would probably be from some other worn component.

Thanks for all of the replies. Looks like I'll be pulling them off. Maybe I'll clean them up and try to sell them on the eBay.... Us the money (all 8 dollars) for other things in my car.

Thanks

Eric

Yep, take them off and sell them.

You don't have to run them on a Mopar. The section of the leaf spring on a Mopar that is forward of the rear axle is shorter and has more leafs than a GM spring. You do not get the wheel hop caused by the leaf spring turning itself into a "S" shape that you will with a GM spring.

Pinion snubbers were a band-aid traction device left over from the sixties. You don't need them either.

There's a big difference between traction bars & Cal-Tracs. Traction bars are basically for old school looks. Cal-tracs help the launch to be consistant.

Back