Trans Re-seal - '65 Newport

Omni

Reaction score
Happy Saturday All
Rounding up parts for a winter project. Got a reseal kit from Pat Blais and have a couple of questions:
1) The kit contains an O-Ring for a Low-reverse pivot shaft. What is that? Looking at the FSM, I can find no mention of that.
2) As I am working on a '65, the cross-member also anchors the torsion bars. I was hoping I could drop the trans pan and the valve body assembly to replace the kick-down shaft seal as opposed to unloading and removing the t-bars to remove the cross member. It doesn't look like there will be enough room to 'pick' the seal out from on top. (The seal is a cupped rubber affair, not a metal clad seal). The FSM shows the valve body assembly coming out of a removed inverted transmission. If I remove the assembly from an installed trans. will I be dealing with internal parts falling out?
If there are any other pitfalls, let me know.
Thanks to all who respond.
Omni

If im not mistaken the low-reverse pivot shaft can be seen from the rear where the tailsection mounts to the base of the trans. The pivot is held in place by the tail housing. I'd think that is where that o-ring goes.

20210903_171150.jpg

If im not mistaken the low-reverse pivot shaft can be seen from the rear where the tailsection mounts to the base of the trans. The pivot is held in place by the tail housing. I'd think that is where that o-ring goes.

View attachment 555986
You are correct. The o ring goes around that shaft. BTW you can’t pull that shaft out without pulling the tail housing off.

Last edited:
Happy Saturday All
Rounding up parts for a winter project. Got a reseal kit from Pat Blais and have a couple of questions:
1) The kit contains an O-Ring for a Low-reverse pivot shaft. What is that? Looking at the FSM, I can find no mention of that.
2) As I am working on a '65, the cross-member also anchors the torsion bars. I was hoping I could drop the trans pan and the valve body assembly to replace the kick-down shaft seal as opposed to unloading and removing the t-bars to remove the cross member. It doesn't look like there will be enough room to 'pick' the seal out from on top. (The seal is a cupped rubber affair, not a metal clad seal). The FSM shows the valve body assembly coming out of a removed inverted transmission. If I remove the assembly from an installed trans. will I be dealing with internal parts falling out?
If there are any other pitfalls, let me know.
Thanks to all who respond.
Omni
You can drop the VB and the only thing you have to worry about is the accumulator spring. It is big and not hard to keep in place when you reinstall the VB. The kick down seal can be pushed out from the bottom with a small punch after the VB is out. You can then clean the area and the new seal will install easily just pushing it in from the top. After you reinstall the VB make sure the seal stayed in place.

Thanks to the both of you.
Not planning on removing the tail shaft housing as there is no evidence of leakage in that area If all I need to worry about is one spring when the VB assembly is removed, I think I can handle that.

Thanks Again
Omni

Back