Vin locations on a 65 Fury

HarrysToy

"Get off my lawn!"
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Other than the tag under the hood where might other locations would there be a stamped vin?

Rather, VINs which are covered up by other things? Like the coolant sticker on the core support and the deck lid weatherstrip near the rear window's bottom? Not full VINs, but the "sequence number" part of the VIN?

SO Number on firewall is circled in black on a ‘66 Imperial.
C935B0CC-0253-4C21-9481-DC80EE8C39BA.jpeg

No other VIN stamped anywhere. There probably is another SO number stamped somewhere, I don't know where.

On my '65 Barracuda, there is an SO number under the rear seat area. That SO number would also be on your fender tag.

WHUeol4.jpg

One of my 65s had SO# stamped on top of the cowl (in front of the windshield), mostly covered-up by a piece of rubber molding. My other (pretty much identical) car had nothing at all in this location . . .

Don't remember for sure, so don't quote me . . . but I thought I read somewhere (years ago) that there were maybe 5 "secret" locations where they might stamp the SO#, and they'd randomly pick 3 of the 5 locations to stamp. Another place I think I've seen stamped is along the trunk drip rails . . .

Oh, and another little bit of trivia, is that they all use the character "I" instead of the numeral "1" in these locations . . .

What is a SO#?

An abbreviation for Shipping Order (SO). In later years, it's called the Vehicle Order number (VON). The full Shipping Order number consists of the Scheduled Production Date (SPD) and another group of numbers that are unique to the car. The SO used to assist ordering, scheduling, invoicing and biling. The SO is found on paper documents like the broadcast sheet and window sticker, as well as on the fender tag and body stampings.

shipping_order_800.jpg

Last edited:
SO # behind the back bumper on a ‘67 Imp..

B14CE344-DA11-4E6F-A681-E327D40DE7D3.jpeg

0EC52C36-B0FF-4BB9-9A65-4BEC192F95AD.jpeg

Thanks for all the good info gents! I passed my NC fraud division inspection :) In this state its required when registering an out of state antique car for the first time.

hey HarrysToy, how did you do that? I'm in Pennsylvania and mine is missing the VIN tag inside the door... they said they need a picture of the VIN number ON THE CAR to match the title. Makes me wonder where they got it to put on the title, and, yes it worries me quite a bit.

Back