WHAT ? Another 61 Fury restroation......

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I delivered Virgil to the shop where I will be disassembling him for his body, paint and mechanical restoration yesterday. I'll be handling the mechanical aspect myself and a body/paint guy that I will be feeding the body and panels to is a mile away from the shop.
The bumpers will be coming to Carlisle with me to be put into the care of Tri City Plating. All my trim is either already finished or I have NOS. Interior panels have been ordered from SMS and my favorite trimmer is standing by to redo the seats, carpet and top. The steering wheel has already been recast too.

Ellie was always leaning on me to get started on him and I told her once the Coronet was sold the funds would directly flip into Virgil. That happened and this restoration will be in Ellie's memory.

DSC03906.JPG

I delivered Virgil to the shop where I will be disassembling him for his body, paint and mechanical restoration yesterday. I'll be handling the mechanical aspect myself and a body/paint guy that I will be feeding the body and panels to is a mile away from the shop.
The bumpers will be coming to Carlisle with me to be put into the care of Tri City Plating. All my trim is either already finished or I have NOS. Interior panels have been ordered from SMS and my favorite trimmer is standing by to redo the seats, carpet and top. The steering wheel has already been recast too.

Ellie was always leaning on me to get started on him and I told her once the Coronet was sold the funds would directly flip into Virgil. That happened and this restoration will be in Ellie's memory.

View attachment 130757

Will: I am so pleased you have started on this project. I have anticipated it's commencement for a while now.

I was wondering if the Coronet had sold, congrats on that and good for you/us that you've got a head of steam on the '61!:thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Not much will get done until after the 1st of Aug. Prepping for the Carlisle trip now. I'll be headed to Michigan from Carlisle for a week, then back home around the 1st. Things should move along pretty quick after then. I'll keep a photo journal to share.

Maybe we can hook up?

Where in MI will you be?

I'll be at my brothers place in New Boston, Down river. Perhaps get together some where down on Telegraph rd. in Taylor.
What are the dates that you will be in town?

Amazingly Chuck, Tri city Plating, brought a full set of show chrome 1961 Plymouth bumpers to Carlisle. I was able to exchange the rear bumper and front center section which will save me a bundle on shipping. My front is a 4 piece and the ends he brought were a 3 piece unit. So, he will be plating my original ends and grille guard.
The only NOS part I found for a 61 Plymouth was a turn signal lever.
I'm encouraged that, as bad as the amature body & paint looks, the body doesn't seem as rusty as I thought it might be. I plan on getting up to the shop in the next few days to organize the work area and start in on him. The front clip will come off and go to the body shop first. Then I hope to pull the stub frame for rebuilding and detail.

I have a correct rare 1961 318 power pack AFB that I sent off to a carb restorer in Youngstown Oh. yesterday.
Once work starts I'll photo document and post the progress here.

Amazingly Chuck, Tri city Plating, brought a full set of show chrome 1961 Plymouth bumpers to Carlisle. I was able to exchange the rear bumper and front center section which will save me a bundle on shipping. My front is a 4 piece and the ends he brought were a 3 piece unit. So, he will be plating my original ends and grille guard.
The only NOS part I found for a 61 Plymouth was a turn signal lever.
I'm encouraged that, as bad as the amature body & paint looks, the body doesn't seem as rusty as I thought it might be. I plan on getting up to the shop in the next few days to organize the work area and start in on him. The front clip will come off and go to the body shop first. Then I hope to pull the stub frame for rebuilding and detail.

I have a correct rare 1961 318 power pack AFB that I sent off to a carb restorer in Youngstown Oh. yesterday.
Once work starts I'll photo document and post the progress here.

Mighty mighty fine, Wil. So glad to see you get started on this car.

I was hoping you might put a coupla four-barrels on it and make that poly scream. You oughta go ahead and louver the hood too. I had a friend with '57 Plymouth set up that way. There were at least seven thousand louvers in his hood. When he kicked in the two four barrels, you could hear that motor moan a mile way.

Back