WHAT ? Another 61 Fury restroation......

A little more progress today. Front clip is off, top cover is off, some cleanup. I'm encouraged by the lack of heavy rust in the obvious areas, (lower cowl, A pillars and rockers). The body guy stopped by and looked, smiled and said "no problem.
The lower rear of the fenders will need to be fabricated. I decided not to keep the Georgia license plate patch panel I found in the left fender. The passenger front and rear floors need to be fabricated but there is enough to make a good pattern.
I'll arrange to visit a local soda blaster tomorrow, then to body/paint shop.

DSC03953.JPG
DSC03954.JPG
DSC03958.JPG
DSC03959.JPG
DSC03960.JPG
DSC03961.JPG
DSC03962.JPG
DSC03963.JPG

Looks like a good start Will. The rust repair looks like a PITA... all piece seem to require fabricated patches... love the license plate/bondo work you found.:)

Wil: That is some ugly body damage, but I guess it coulda been a lot worse, had the car come from up north somewhere. Maybe that license plate will turn out out be a collectible plate worth big bucks. . .

So far I consider myself fortunate for the level of rust repair needed. Looks worse than it is. I have an excellent fabricator/body guy to back me up. I haven't had any luck tracing the history of the car. The IBM card I got from Chrysler historical shows it was bought new in Dayton Ohio. The stoner who "restored" the car couldn't even remember where he found it, but it was stored somewhere in Tennessee for a long time.
The rust damage is more consistant with poor storage then salt damage. The odometer shows 41500 miles and the interior wear patterns back that up.
I found that tag at a swap meet and it will be registered to the car when the time comes.

Looks like turquoise is the color of choice so far. I'll do a test panel in each color and then decide which most compliments the interior.

POR 15 will kill that car cancer

Thanks Steph. I'm not a big fan of POR15. I prefer a "rust convertor". It reacts chemically to convert existing rust to carbon effectively stopping it dead. POR15 will just incapsulate the rust to prevent its spread, which is not a bad thing.

Thanks Steph. I'm not a big fan of POR15. I prefer a "rust convertor". It reacts chemically to convert existing rust to carbon effectively stopping it dead. POR15 will just incapsulate the rust to prevent its spread, which is not a bad thing.

Wil: What brand of rust converter do you like to use?

I am using Rust converter along with the por 15. My dad did some more welding on mine but when he is using that welder I stay out of the garage. I am also using Epoxy primer on mine as well .

Last edited:
dsc03999-jpg.jpg

Funny thing. Mopar did not paint the under hood, interior cavity, trunk area and under trunk lid body color. It was finished with some sort of sealer with a grayish/green satin appearance no matter what the car color. I think I have enough that survived to come close to duplicating it.

View attachment 139486

Funny thing. Mopar did not paint the under hood, interior cavity, trunk area and under trunk lid body color. It was finished with some sort of sealer with a grayish/green satin appearance no matter what the car color. I think I have enough that survived to come close to duplicating it.

I've seen something very similar on 68-70 B-Bodies, but only in the center of the underside where the car wasn't sprayed. Some serious restorations have duplicated the appearance.

Back