WHAT ? Another 61 Fury restroation......

View attachment 139486

Funny thing. Mopar did not paint the under hood, interior cavity, trunk area and under trunk lid body color. It was finished with some sort of sealer with a grayish/green satin appearance no matter what the car color. I think I have enough that survived to come close to duplicating it.
Almost looks like they masked that off.

View attachment 139486

Funny thing. Mopar did not paint the under hood, interior cavity, trunk area and under trunk lid body color. It was finished with some sort of sealer with a grayish/green satin appearance no matter what the car color. I think I have enough that survived to come close to duplicating it.

Wil: I think you oughta clean up the underside of that hood and leave it original. It really doesn't look that bad. . .

Almost looks like they masked that off.

There was some sort of jute pad attached before painting. None of the white paint is original to the car.
There are several areas of the "unpainted" finish that were not effected by UV. My painter says he can scan and duplicate it. It's very close to what a epoxy sealer looks like.

Not much more forward progress on Virgil. Just trying to strip the parts already removed and determine what needs to get done in what order.
I dropped the fuel tank and the entire top of it has been replaced, add a new tank/sender to the list. I received the last three pieces of the front bumper from Tri City Plating but haven't unwrapped them yet. I have no doubt they are nice. Lots of money going out and boxes of parts coming in.

DSC04013.JPG

I dug a little deeper today and found some nastiness. The right rear of this car must have resided in some dampness for awile. The lower rear section of the rear light panel is a mess of metal patches riveted, bolted and bondoed together. Now its a new trunk floor AND complete rear deck opening lower panel......... Already sourced.

DSC04015.JPG
DSC04016.JPG
DSC04017.JPG

HowTH did you find them?

After 4 years of searching for 61 Plymouth parts I have established a good base of parts suppliers, both new and used. One of the reasons I held up the restoration of Virgil was to obtain the nearly impossible to find stuff so I wouldn't need to find them once the car was ready to reassemble.
As of now, once I get past the services, (body, paint, etc), I'll be able to procede with the final assembly without interruption. Bumpers are done, All my exterior body stainless trim is complete or in process, as is the last of the pot metal and chrome plating. All else is NOS.

After 4 years of searching for 61 Plymouth parts I have established a good base of parts suppliers, both new and used. One of the reasons I held up the restoration of Virgil was to obtain the nearly impossible to find stuff so I wouldn't need to find them once the car was ready to reassemble.
As of now, once I get past the services, (body, paint, etc), I'll be able to procede with the final assembly without interruption. Bumpers are done, All my exterior body stainless trim is complete or in process, as is the last of the pot metal and chrome plating. All else is NOS.

Wil: Have you had the hood louvered yet? :poke:

Simular to Jeff Wright's '61 Hemmings did an article about it back in 2006 . Its the green and white 2drht.

I'm not familure with that car. Standard two tone in 61 was a secondary color on the top. Midyear "Sport tone" option was the entire top section of the car was a secondary color. Mine, being a convertible, will be primary color Alpine white below the beltline, Emerald green, (maybe turquoise), above the beltline, with a white convertible top.

Back