What carb to fit 57 poly intake?

True story....

According to my old Motors manual specs for Plymouth, the 2-4barrel set up was used first in 1958 on the 318 and the 350 engines and then used in 1960 with the 361 and 383 engines.

Actually the 2X4 WCFB set-up was an over the counter option for the 1956 Plymouth poly 277, and standard production on the 1957 Fury 318 "A" engine

The 2X4 WCFB 318 "A" was carried over as standard equipment on the 1958 Fury only and the 2X4 AFB 350 "B" (Golden Commando) engine was an option on all model 58 Plymouths.

1957 manifold proven solution

Rusty,
I know what you are talking about. I have a 1965 Fury, 318 poly. I, too have a factory four-barrel manifold from the late 50's, or early 60's. To make it work on our mid 60's cars, I had my machine shop(Auto Machine in St. Charles, IL, $150) hog out the manifold's bores to the Edelbrock modern bore sizes. Your 1406 carb will work, but I am using the 1806 AVS 650 cfm style, with electric choke. 20,000 miles later, starts always, drives everywhere, dependable only car. Flawless combination. Good luck. Go Fury!

Thx Duane,

I'm today starting to put all the parts in I've gathered. I decided not to bore out mine, and am using an adapter plate for a Edelbrock 1406. I hope this will work.

While the lifters were visable, I checked the timing chain play by turning the harmonic balancer back and forth and get about 1/2" play. The 1/2" is the distance on the timing mark on the balancer before I see the cam start to move.

Think this is ok??

Well in 1957 they used two 4bbls on the 301 they used WCFB for the fury 301. There was an option that year that was avalible for extra money it was the 318, it used the WCF they also had the marine 354 that year they used a different carb that had a bigger rear jet(corry I do not remember the carb on that one, never worked on one pulling into the shop. They do not do well on pavement I guess.

opps

Sorry bluefly your wrong. check out any motors manual they will back me up on this (I did my first brakes at 5yrs. I wourked in the shop till I quit now I am rebuilding the type I bought when I was 14 Thats 61 yrs ago, I paid 75 for it and when I was almost 17 a guy gave me his 426 with dual fours at the drags in Woodburn Oregon,for 56.00 It was all I had in savings at the time, and it was bored out and was real sweet.

UPDATE 57 manifold on my 66.

Rusty,
I know what you are talking about. I have a 1965 Fury, 318 poly. I, too have a factory four-barrel manifold from the late 50's, or early 60's. To make it work on our mid 60's cars, I had my machine shop(Auto Machine in St. Charles, IL, $150) hog out the manifold's bores to the Edelbrock modern bore sizes. Your 1406 carb will work, but I am using the 1806 AVS 650 cfm style, with electric choke. 20,000 miles later, starts always, drives everywhere, dependable only car. Flawless combination. Good luck. Go Fury!

Since this last thread I've put the 57 Fury 4 barrel maniflod directly to my 66 Fury poly 318 with out boring out the intake holes to the larger Edelbrock carb.

It runs great! Smooth and NO hesitation at any speed, I love it! Now I'm sure it might go a little faster had I bored out those holes, but I'm glad it's still an un touched, stock 57 manifold.

Not sure if I mentioned this before. If anyone has adjusted their valves and still has a rough idle, I tried making the clearances slightly larger and it smoothed the idle right out!

I've been runnin this thing for 6 months now and I'd drive it to L.A and back (though I couldn't afford the gas:(

Not sure if I mentioned this before. If anyone has adjusted their valves and still has a rough idle, I tried making the clearances slightly larger and it smoothed the idle right out!

If you haven't already, I would definitely replace your timing chain and gear set.

Just jumping a tooth or 2 would not be too tragic, but if it lets go completely it could bend pushrods and valves etc.

Sorry bluefly your wrong. check out any motors manual they will back me up on this.

While the "motors manual" is a great source for vehicle spec's and service procedures it is not always accurate.

In 1956 Plymouth released a dealer installed high performance package that retailed for $746.90 and included dual four barrels (Carter WCFB), special air cleaners, an aluminum intake manafold,high-performance camshaft and tappets, a hand choke and all neccessary hardware and linkage to hook it all up. It was avaliable for both the 277 and 303 engines.

In 1957 the V-800 engine, (318 with dual Carter WCFB four barrels) became availiable as standard in the Fury and optional in all other Plymouth models. Included was a cast iron manifold, dual exhaust and special camshaft.
The 277 two barrel was avaliable in the Plaza only. The 301 two barrel, (one year only), was the standard V8 in Savoy's and Belvedere's and optional in the Plaza.
For an additional $36.20 the 301 could be had with a Carter WCFB four barrel, special distributor and dual exhaust.
What sometimes added confusion is that the 301 was refered to as the "Fury 301" which was avaliable in all 57 models except the Fury... Which used a 318 dual four barrel engine as standard equipment.

Then in 1958 the 318 dual Carter WCFB four barrel, (v-800) engine was standard in the Fury with the new 350 "B" dual Carter AFB four barrel "Golden Commando" engine being optional an all 58 models.

From 1959 to 1962 all 318 four barrel engines came with a Carter AFB. These later intakes are the more desireable as they will accept the larger carbs without modification.

These facts can be verified in Jim Benjaminson's "PLYMOUTH 1946-1959" and in the "Standard catalog of Chrysler".

Hope this clears things up.

Last edited:
Back