What carb.

carguy300

Reaction score
Im looking for an opinion on carbs, the carter that came with my 300, which was removed and ruined. Not rebuildable. I ran holley on my other 68 300, now im wondering about edelbrock vs holley, this 440 is all stock. Do y'all have rathers?

In the years which Chrysler put Holley 4160 600cfm carbs on the 440 New Yorkers and Imperials, back when the cars were newer, in the later 1960s, the local Chrysler dealer would routinely swap the Holleys out for a Carter 4bbl from a model year they used Carters on those base 440s. Reason? It seems that Holleys, back then, had a poor reputation for durability of the seals and gaskets, such that they needed a rebuild about every year or so. So, as the Carters had no such issues, the customers were satisfied to have a very reliable Carter than a "troublesome" Holley on their cars. That was then.

In the earlier 1980s, I bought a new Holley 4160 for my Camaro upgrade. No issues with leakage or such, other than ethanol (apparently) on the accel pump diaphram (which is on the bottom of the float bowl, so a leak there could potentially drain the front float bowl onto the intake manifold . . . NOT GOOD! I later changed that carb to a 4175 OEM-spec carb and it ran well, but had similar issues with the accel pump diaphram. SO, an ethanol-resistant accel pump diaphram is important to have on those Holleys, from my experiences.

So, as much of a perf heritage as Holley 4bbl tend to have, I might now lean more toward an Edelbrock AVS2 or Street Demon, in the approx 600cfm sizing. A SD with the phenolic float bowl, which is a clone of the Carter TQ. The SD has the triple-boost primary venturis (ala Rochester QJet) as the AVS2 has the annular discharge primary venturis (ala 1960s Ford OEM 4bbls, and current Summit-branded 4bbls). Both carbs have OEM connections to Chrysler-used carbs, so it might be a toss-up or which one is less expensive at the time you get ready to buy one? Watch the sales at Summit or Jegs!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Ive had no issues running Edlebrock carbs...usually just go for the 750 Vac sec units, if your motor and carb are tuned and set up right you won't be over fueling it.

When i put holley on my last 440, i think was 4160, and ran a little rich no matter what i did, now reading about edel 1406, both are easy swap with linkage adpt. I have used an edelbrock before and its about $20 cheaper than holley.

I ran a Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm on my stock 440 with great results. On my stroker I went with a Edelbrock 800 CFM AVS2. Annular primarys and great response. They make a AVS2 600 cfm too or maybe a 650 if you are in the market for new.
Maybe call Woodruff as the 1406 is so common he may have a used rebuilt good as new one ready to go on the shelf.
Good luck.

I think i want to stay around 600-650 cfm, this 440 is completely stock for now. I do see alot of the edelbrocks on the big blocks at car shows. Leaning they way. Thanks for help.

I use Edelbrock AVS2 800 cfm on my 440, 9.0:1 compression, stock intake, HP exhaust manifolds, 2.5" exhaust. Very happy with results.

Believe it or not, this 300, 440 still has stock ex manifolds and complete single exhaust, still has resonator! Someone wanted silence!

Believe it or not, this 300, 440 still has stock ex manifolds and complete single exhaust, still has resonator! Someone wanted silence!

My 68 Newport has the original exhaust. Very similar to what you describe, though with huge muffler behind the single exhaust instead of a resonator. It idles dead quiet too.

Does anyone have suggestions on a edel AVS2 1906. 650 cfm. Also how difficult will it be hooking up linkage and kickdown? Do they make an adaptor? Also the fuel inlet is in back left on carb. Will that cause an issue with fuel line? Thanks.

The guy at summit said i will also need an adaptor plate. Did not specify how thick, which one. Is that true, i dont remember using one on my other 300 when i went with holley. Any help please.

It's been a while, but from what I remember it all depends on what's on you engine now. If it has a Carter 4bbl or Holley the AVS will bolt on. If you have a spread bore like Thermoquad you will need the adapter. Edelbrock makes a bracket to adapt the trans linkage to the carb (you will need this) you will have to adapt the fuel line yourself

Back