What engine is in this thing?

In a '66 Chrysler, a 'J' code is a 440. . . A code '82' under the 'AB' position on the fender tag indicates the engine is a TNT 440.

But I believe we are talking about a '67 model here in this thread?? No? And the printing errors in the '67 FSM.

But I believe we are talking about a '67 model here in this thread?? No? And the printing errors in the '67 FSM.

Yes. That is true. . . I was responding to the 'J' code remark regarding the 426 Hemi, and I should have mentioned that, but I thought the quoted text made it clear enough.

VIN engine codes were not universally the same between model years. Sometimes they were, other times, not. So, look at EACH model year as unique, THEN look for similarities between consecutive model years.

CBODY67

I have a 67' Newport here also with the 440 TNT engine. The car is a bare bones Newport, manual steering, and power disc brakes, no A/C, and Gold with painted black Top.
CE23L77xxxxxx
The engine is the same as the GTX, chrome valve covers Included. The 915 heads also have the L Imprint on the back side, referring to the HP designation.My single exhaust 440 same year has a K stamped on it, and the valve is the 1.60

I have a 67' Newport here also with the 440 TNT engine. The car is a bare bones Newport, manual steering, and power disc brakes, no A/C, and Gold with painted black Top.
CE23L77xxxxxx
The engine is the same as the GTX, chrome valve covers Included. The 915 heads also have the L Imprint on the back side, referring to the HP designation.My single exhaust 440 same year has a K stamped on it, and the valve is the 1.60
So in 67 any 440 HP is the same right through all model lines. Even down to the bling. Yes?

WOW. Multiple threads in one. This could be a new record!

Many responses are repeat answers.

How about we try and rein this in a little and get back to the OPs questions?

The 67 service manual is wrong.

The carb issue is settled. The OP has a replacement carb from 1975.

He needs to check other stamps and castings to establish the block is or isn’t a 67 assembly.

For 67:

350 horse = K code VIN
375 horse = L code VIN

Things change year to year. 67 is not 66 nor 68.

Anecdotal info can be useful but accurate factory documentation is always the best.

Peace.

So in 67 any 440 HP is the same right through all model lines. Even down to the bling. Yes?

In concept and internally; yes. All got the HP cam and valve train to get to the 375 horse rating.

In details and applications; no due to carb application, exhaust manifolds, transmission applications, distributors, etc. A GTX four speed assembly is not the same as a 300 with automatic.

That’s why the assembly numbers are different. If the actual assembly was the same, then you would find the same assembly codes in B and C bodies. You don’t. You have different B and C body assemblies.

Last edited:

absolutely,except the driver side manifold is a high rise of a different shape.(Looks just like the 68-69) However, the Passenger side is the same as the GTX and R/T.
The Transmission, Part#2801541 is the same as the GTX and R/T as well.
I have the original Chrysler purchase order, and the Painted top cost $17.00!
The car scoots without all that weight, especially the "no Power vent window" Option!(Matt's benefit)
HAHAHA

and, with dual shortie glass packs from the 1970's you can hear this thing coming from a long ways away!

See post 51. They are similar. They are NOT the same. They are different.

With all respect to 69coronet, as he is one of the most knowledgable on the site, I can say that After restoring several, the two Internally and externally are Identical. Valve covers, Heads, cam,valves,timing chain,oil pump,pistons,rods, and Intake. (Exclude the Oil Pan) They are Stamped HP in the same spot, and have the same Torque converter stall, and share the Internals of the transmissions. The 67 GTX and 67 Chrysler even uses the same 4327S in the Automatic.(RWXPDC)In the Chrysler parts book.(non C.A.P.)
I can safely state this is the case, as I have both a restored original 67 GTX and the 440 TNT,(unrestored) as well as several other 67 440 HP engines on the bench in the event any other bodies show up someday.

045 - Copy.JPG

I acknowledged they are similar. They are not the same assembly across B and C bodies. That was the question.

The point seems to be just "where" do the differences start for the respective applications? Not considering the C.A.P. cars and their unique items. Carbs and distributors can be different depending upon the transmissions behind the engine and emissions specs. Yet they all look the same externally, typically. Fuel pumps might have different-location hose connections for the particular chassis the engine is installed into. LH exhaust manifolds can be different to clear the steering system, as the oil pans can be different for clearance issues, too. Yet, all of them look "the same" whether in a 300 or in a GTX, until you start picking it apart. Wasn't the GTX air cleaner paintged turquois in some cases, the same dual snorkel unit that was black in Chryslers?

All with the same "guts" inside the engine block and cylinder heads, making the same 375 rated horsepower.

As far as "complete assemblies" go, as in "hangin' on the hook at the assembly plant, ready to be assembled to the stub frame", just ONE minor change will generate a different assembly number and related code. It could be the fuel pump, an alternator bracket, or any other thing of that nature. Typically, I believe that B and C body cars came down different assembly lines, although they might have been in the same physical assembly plant.

CBODY67

Last edited:
here is a picture for the drivers side 440 TNT c body. It differs slightly from the 68-69
2863409 driver side. The correct Number would be 2843247. You can see it doesn't wrap under the column as much. Fender tag as well.

1967 exhaust manifold chrysler.jpg

1967 newport Fender tag.jpg

Back