What is an apostrophe?

Can anyone explain why some Americans pronounce "roof", "ruf"? I believe it's a north eastern American thing, when I hear it, it's typically in a Bostonian accent and it drives me up the wall! What gives?
It's the dreaded and unnecessary "r" in the word. We sell all our "R's" to Mid-westerners and Canadians. The exchange rate is excellent.
And servers can't understand me down here. I ask for Vahdka and I get watah.

Just that, different areas have different sounding folks. People also say melk, for milk. Acrosst is one of my faves, where's the t?!?

I guess that's all it is. I was actually thinking just last night how there are quite a few different American accents, mostly along the east coast. In comparison the east coast (Newfie) accent is pretty much the only distinct Canadian English accent there is. From Ontario to British Columbia we all sound fairly alike. Newfies know there are different accents depending on what region you're from, however you have to be one to know it. Kind of like British accents, how many are there on that Island? That's what got me thinking on the subject. If you've never heard a Newfie accent, see Brad Pitt as the "pikey" in the movie "snatch". Maybe not quite that rough but close.

Regarding the original post - I am also thoroughly annoyed with its constant misuse. It's been going on long before "smart phones" and would imagine it will continue forever. On the plus side I see alot of newer used cars sporting the desirable "leather sunroof". I know, that should have a comma, not an apostrophe, they're interchangable right?

Last edited:
I guess that's all it is. I was actually thinking just last night how there is quite a few different American accents, mostly along the east coast. In comparison the east coast (Newfie) accent is pretty much the only distinct Canadian English accent there is. From Ontario to British Columbia we all sound fairly alike. Newfies know there are different accents depending on what region you're from, however you have to be one to know it. Kind of like British accents, how many are there on that Island? That's what got me thinking on the subject. If you've never heard a Newfie accent, see Brad Pitt as the "pikey" in the movie "snatch". Maybe not quite that rough but close.

Regarding the original post - I am also thoroughly annoyed with its constant misuse. It's been going on long before "smart phones" and would imagine it will continue forever. On the plus side I see alot of newer used cars sporting the desirable "leather sunroof". I know, that should have a comma, not an apostrophe, they're interchangable right?

Well to be honest, I was really just hoping to solve the "1968" vs. "68-foot" issue.

I don't think our society does enough shaming. It explains a lot of problems.

Do the schools teach grammar today? I'm not sure if it's politically correct to use proper grammar. You make the dumb kids feel bad. Oh wait, I'm probably not supposed to use the word dumb.
It's the standards of successfully achieving a certain level of intelligence to be a productive contributing American, is 50% lower now because the public educational systems have been diluted by a disproportionate ratio of parents demanding "specific needs" education. Every child is now special and is coddled.

Funny, I pronounce "toilet" like Archie Bunker (Ter-lit) for the same reason. Especially when out in public. With my wife.

Gotta love embarrassing the wife. I forgot about ol' Archie. I'm sure no major network would televise that show these days. That also reminds me of one of my least favorite British pronunciations, the word urinal. Rather than saying yur-in-el, they say your-ine-al. It just hits the ear wrong, that and their hard H's. Did you see the new show last night on Hate-ch BO?

Interesting thread. When I type, I use my left hand only. My right hand is for the mouse.:lol:
I never learned how to type with both hands.

One thing that bugs me and I see it so often is "could of" and "would of". Yet, the same people know to say "I have done that" or "I have been there". For some reason unknown to me, when they use the word "could" or "would" in front of have, the word "have" suddenly becomes "of".

"I would of done that." and " I could of been there." What's with that?

Interesting thread. When I type, I use my left hand only. My right hand is for the mouse.:lol:
I never learned how to type with both hands.

One thing that bugs me and I see it so often is "could of" and "would of". Yet, the same people know to say "I have done that" or "I have been there". For some reason unknown to me, when they use the word "could" or "would" in front of have, the word "have" suddenly becomes "of".

"I would of done that." and " I could of been there." What's with that?

I actually had to read that a couple of times to see your point. While I don't think I would ever write it that way, I'm probably guilty of speaking that way. I remember my first year of junior high when after going to elementary with the same kids for years, we were mixed in with kids from another elementary. Almost all of those kids had the annoying habit of saying "I seen" rather than "I saw". Even at eleven years old I figured "did none of their teachers ever correct them"? Or did they just give up? And yes, I'm quite particular when it comes to these things. My Dad was a English professor and very strict. He had to learn Latin in school and it was no longer in the curriculum when I was so, he found some text books and when I got home from school, on top of my homework, I would study latin. I'm pretty good at most spelling/grammar/punctuation rules but not perfect. l even had to edit one of my posts under this thread. My largest weakness is my run-on sentences. I'm getting better, I think.

What I have noticed since texting became a way to communicate, the short cut phrases have become main stream and is here to stay. Even school teachers in my district have been known for accepting papers turned in by their students, using text verbiage, and their students will not loose any grade points for poor grammar.
Hell, I don't think cursive writing is taught anymore in my district.
What could be worse?
I can understand most of the abbreviations, misplaced or incorrectly used punctuation marks, misspelled words, etc., as discussed in this thread, but the one that really has me confused is the newer spoken language of Ebonics.
Lets think about that for a minute. This is a language that is relatively new and from what I've observed is commonly used in lower income, African American communities, but how it became a new language or how it initially started and became as common as it is today, is unknown.
I stumbled on a website that lets you translate Ebonics.
For kicks, I entered a simple sentence in the website's translation tool as: My Imperial is a big car.
The Ebonics translation of this simple sentence is: Yo! My Imperahal ahs a bahg rahzza. Sheeeiit.
Would anyone here be able to decipher that phrase?

For kicks, I entered a simple sentence in the website's translation tool as: My Imperial is a big car.
The Ebonics translation of this simple sentence is: Yo! My Imperahal ahs a bahg rahzza. Sheeeiit.
Would anyone here be able to decipher that phrase?

I wouldn't even try......

I'm guilty too of spelling words incorrectly. But hey, I never said my grammar is that a an English scholar.:lol:

One of my absolute favorite newer songs:

It includes several of the things mentioned here, and....
It's as a possessive. Makes me want to scream! Even the '74 Chrysler owner's manual has this blunder. Maybe management canned the proofreaders to appease the bean counters.

Back