What is an apostrophe?

I like it when people type "teh" instead of "the". Don't really understand how that happens. It is not just once, it is every time they use the word. WTF!!

I like it when people type "teh" instead of "the". Don't really understand how that happens. It is not just once, it is every time they use the word. WTF!!
I do that quite a bit, but catch it before I post. It happens when you two-finger (or thumb) type. The left finger hits the key before the right.

Don't forget about when the comma is sometimes used where an apostrophe should be.
Such as, don,t isn,t etc. The correct key on the keyboard is just 1 up and 3 over. :BangHead:

Don't forget about when the comma is sometimes used where an apostrophe should be.
Such as, don,t isn,t etc. The correct key on the keyboard is just 1 up and 3 over. :BangHead:
This again is a result of using a mobile device. There is no apostrophe on the keyboard until you hit the symbol key. To save a press or two, they use the comma instead. It's no excuse, but that's what happens, I'm sure.

That's it. The damn overuse of the letter "u".
We get that one from the British.

I would like to point out that Americans are the odd one in calling the last letter of the alphabet "Zee". Just about everybody else calls it "Zed", including some languages other than English. I couldn't care less that the ABC Song only rhymes if you call it "Zee", that is not a valid argument IMO. :)

I do that quite a bit, but catch it before I post. It happens when you two-finger (or thumb) type. The left finger hits the key before the right.
I agree, I accidentally type "teh" very often as well, but almost always catch the mistake and fix it.

I'd just like to punctuate this critique here:
"Adorbs" can now be found in the dictionary.

We're aboard a speeding train on greased rails, my friends.
Too late...
hqdefault (1).jpg

That's it. The damn overuse of the letter "u".
The "U" makes it correct spelling so that you can pronounce it correctly too :poke:, and what is it with saying "Herb" but not pronouncing the letter "H"? I have conceded that in "Merica" it was necessary to simplify the spelling of words for the typical "average" American citizen to understand. After all, it requires extra effort to learn a more complicated language, but there is an upside to that, the more complicated the language, the more synapses that connect in the brain at a young age. Just don't ask me what the long term benefits have been to that, I can't tell you.
I can say this though, learning the German language hurt my brain.

Great thread Carmine.
With texting so prevalent, spelling, grammar and punctuation will just get worse.
Luckily I have a 20 something with great grammar and writing skills working for me. Anything going out of my office gets proof-read by her.
On another note. My brother took his kids out of our local schools after the 1st grade to home school them.
Superintendent of schools kept sending the family letters trying to convince them to return. Brother and his wife would use the letters as tools for the kids to spot all the errors.
Kids went back to public schools to enter the International Academy H.S. in Bloomfield Hills. Two of the four scored over 2000 on the SATS. Those two received full ride college scholarships.

Last edited:
It's almost a new language- looked up adorbs (adorable) and found this sentence: Aw, Shannon and Andrew look totes adorbs together!

Totes - totally.
Must be the same folks who created Celeb(s) from celebrity.

Then again, at 58 I'm probably out of date lol.

..almost correct:

Aw, Matthew and Andrew look totes adorbs together!

Fixed.

I do it all the time, and I thank God for spellcheck. I am a self-taught typist and makes mistakes often. That happens to be one of my regulars.

Can anyone explain why some Americans pronounce "roof", "ruf"? I believe it's a north eastern American thing, when I hear it, it's typically in a Bostonian accent and it drives me up the wall! What gives?

Can anyone explain why some Americans pronounce "roof", "ruf"? I believe it's a north eastern American thing, when I hear it, it's typically in a Bostonian accent and it drives me up the wall! What gives?
Just that, different areas have different sounding folks. People also say melk, for milk. Acrosst is one of my faves, where's the t?!?

Also, how about "idear," "awl," and "Hawoya" for idea, oil, and Hawaii? Let's not say a thing about "Warsh your hands."

Do the schools teach grammar today? I'm not sure if it's politically correct to use proper grammar. You make the dumb kids feel bad. Oh wait, I'm probably not supposed to use the word dumb.

Back