what is this tube in the trunk? 70 Fury3 on ebay

fury fan

Reaction score
There's a tube in the trunk, with a flange bolted to the trunk floor. Looks like a fuel filler tube, but is on the passenger side and there's nothing visible on the quarterpanel. I had a 70 SF but don't remember it having this.

What is it?

Plymouth: Fury

Looks like a vent tube, CA. cars got them sooner than the other states.

All the vent tubes I was aware of were on the tank, and were small diameter. Had a 72 where 4 tubes went into a 2-3" dia 'tank' mounted above the sending unit. Would a tube like this car has be sealed at the top, then?

My '70 Fury III ex-Wash. State Patrol car does not have that tube. Where does it go to and from?

its a fill tube for liquor. a tank underneath. cops open the trunk and don't think anything. the fill tube filler neck is behind the back seat. very ingenious if you ask me.

It's called a separator, it's part of the evaporator control system on Ca. cars.

It's called a separator, it's part of the evaporator control system on Ca. cars.
sonnovabitch...

PicsArt_04-03-01.47.10.jpg

This place is unbelievable.

Yes, in 1970 only cars sold new in California had this fuel vapor separator.

In 1971 it was standard and looked different, was mounted outside the body between the gas tank and the rear axle.

Yes, in 1970 only cars sold new in California had this fuel vapor separator.

In 1971 it was standard and looked different, was mounted outside the body between the gas tank and the rear axle.
And in 1973 it was moved to the backseat area, along with the tailpipe. According to Thunderbolt and Lightfoot anyway.
Thanks for digging into that everybody!

My Newport has it, as it was a CA car when new. It's not in the trunk though as it is inside the rear wheel-well. However, my '70 Challenger, which was also a CA car, had it in the trunk like this one does.

Back