What is This?

Mudeblue

Reaction score
This is a part from a 65 SF. Steering Column?

453309EF-E4AE-4030-9B8D-D7F6687E53DF.jpeg

47616502-7AE0-446E-93D9-664A2CFD9C3E.jpeg

I just happened to have the '65 Parts book open and on illustration 19-15, you'll see that it looks like the shield around the coupler on a tilt wheel column.

As @Big_John said it is the heat shield, but for non tilt as well. You can see it just below the MC as installed on my 300.View attachment 573319
Yea, I didn't look at the applications, but only saw it illustrated on the parts diagram for the tilt column.

So... I had to look and yep, it looks like across the board for the C-bodies. Section 19-15-111

Just a FYI . . . there are actually two versions of this shield. The earlier (I believe) version was solid, and retained on the steering column by a clamp. The later version (as seen above) was attached by three very short screws. I think the change was made around 65-66 model year. So, if you're looking for that last 0.01 point at the Concours . . .

:lol:

Same part, with and without the screw holes or clamp. The clamped version (up to midyear 65 I think) was a pain in the butt to deal with if one wanted remove the clamp as well as the shield, as the clamp could not be removed without disconnecting the column from the coupler. The 3 screw version was much simpler to remove and replace, although I must admit the screws are not necessarily positioned in the most ergonomic way to make accessing them easy.

As @Big_John said it is the heat shield, but for non tilt as well. You can see it just below the MC as installed on my 300.View attachment 573319
Thanks for the picture; very helpful. I recall seeing it on the steering column both on my car and when retrieving parts for the salvage yard(s). We tried it on different locations on the steering column but could not find the location where we suspected it went. This should zero us in on the location and hopefully it screws on and not clamped as Woodridge stated above. The fact that it has holes in it for screws does not necessarily mean it was attached with screws!

The car has been a nightmare on finding parts and determining where existing parts went and go. I had to retrieve the car from a shop that had it for two years and was still in boxes and pails when I moved it to it current location. It is approaching a year since then but we are getting close. Given this is not his primary business and the fact he never took it apart, the character and history of a 65 Plymouth SF, he is doing outstanding job and in fact is more particular than I am! I never realized it but the name of the car and anything worked on is preferenced with and adjective that starts with an "f" sometimes used 2 to 3 times in the same sentence. Guess it part of the new version of identifying pronouns in our ever developing language! Thanks for the help and I will address in the morning and will post whether or not we resolved the issue.

My 66 has the same thing, hope these close up pics help a bit. Only have 2 screw holes on mine for some reason though

IMG_5708.jpeg

IMG_5709.jpeg

Thanks for the picture; very helpful. I recall seeing it on the steering column both on my car and when retrieving parts for the salvage yard(s). We tried it on different locations on the steering column but could not find the location where we suspected it went. This should zero us in on the location and hopefully it screws on and not clamped as Woodridge stated above. The fact that it has holes in it for screws does not necessarily mean it was attached with screws!

The car has been a nightmare on finding parts and determining where existing parts went and go. I had to retrieve the car from a shop that had it for two years and was still in boxes and pails when I moved it to it current location. It is approaching a year since then but we are getting close. Given this is not his primary business and the fact he never took it apart, the character and history of a 65 Plymouth SF, he is doing outstanding job and in fact is more particular than I am! I never realized it but the name of the car and anything worked on is preferenced with and adjective that starts with an "f" sometimes used 2 to 3 times in the same sentence. Guess it part of the new version of identifying pronouns in our ever developing language! Thanks for the help and I will address in the morning and will post whether or not we resolved the issue.
There is an indexing tab on the part. There should be a corresponding hole right at the end of the column, pretty much at 12 o'clock.

The clamp is a big-*** Corbin spring clamp. Make sure to use the correct locking Corbin clamp pliers to safely install.

I do not know if the three screw holes would have been there on the part if it was made early on enough to be used on an early build 65... but the holes may well have been added to the part in manufacturing as they transitioned to the screwed on part for later in the model year. This means a 65 built close to the switch point could potentially have the later part installed with a clamp, and the column have no screw holes and only the indexing hole, as assembly libes used up remaining clamp stocks before switching to screws. Just extrapolating...

I just happened to have the '65 Parts book open and on illustration 19-15, you'll see that it looks like the shield around the coupler on a tilt wheel column.
what he said... I have the same on my 65' SF. non tilt Steering

Just a FYI . . . there are actually two versions of this shield. The earlier (I believe) version was solid, and retained on the steering column by a clamp. The later version (as seen above) was attached by three very short screws. I think the change was made around 65-66 model year. So, if you're looking for that last 0.01 point at the Concours . . .

Our '66 Newport Town Sedan has the screw-retained cover. Two screws originally. Non-tilt/telescope column. Taking it off makes getting to #7 plug doable with just a straight ratchet extension, which is great, to me. Our car was an early build as it was at the dealership prior to show date.

CBODY67

I had to replace my shield - found out that the PO had simply pushed it on tight on the column - I hadn't noticed, and it fell off, and I ran over it! Sourced a used one, and I wanted the Corbin appearance, as it was an early 65 build. Found that one of those wire-type hose clamps looked pretty close, if you tuck the tightening screw down under the column. I don't believe that my early column had any holes which would permit using the screws to attach . . .

Finally got down to take a picture. This is with the large wire-style hose clamp, since I wasn't about to pull the column just to place a Corbin clamp . . .
20221230_113213.jpg

That looks fine! Who the heck is going to know except the handful of C ody arseholes like us... and if any of us crab about it, you can tell us to f off!

Nicely done!

Hang onto it. They are like gold. I searched for 3 years for one for our '65 Newport wagon. Luckily, I ran across an entire steering column for sale and snagged this and all the other column parts. Apparently, the modus apperandi for slip shod rebuilders is to toss it.

IMG_3330 (1).jpg

Back