Steering collar removal

383dawn

Reaction score
Does anyone know best way to remove turn signal switch from 69 Newport w/ tilt & telescopic steering column? Having trouble removing collar to access switch.

Is this not covered in the Chrysler Factory Service Manual? Free download at www.mymopar.com . T & T steering columns were only on Chryslers and Imperials, as Plymouth and Dodges had the tilt column only, as a general rule, by the time the Fuselage Cars happened. Yet T&T columns were in all of the 1966-68 C-bodies. 1969 is unique as the ignition switch was still on the instrument panel, on the left side of the column, ala Fords of that era. You might find a good exploded view in the 1969 Chrysler Parts Manual, free download from the above website, too. Might even be a Chrysler MasterTech video you can watch at the same website?

Once you get the steering wheel off and the ignition lock plate under it, the switch should be easy to get to. Unplug the harness where it plugs into the vehicle harness toward the bottom of the column. Tie a small wire to the end, turn the connector so it is parallel to the column itself and gently pull it to the top, leaving the wire "in the column". No need to get any deeper into the column, if it works like I suspect it can.

Perhaps this one is different? Perhaps Chrysler had Saginaw Gear build it differently inside for some reason?

If the above link does not work, the web address still will if inputted manually.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Is this not covered in the Chrysler Factory Service Manual? Free download at www.mymopar.com . T & T steering columns were only on Chryslers and Imperials, as Plymouth and Dodges had the tilt column only, as a general rule, by the time the Fuselage Cars happened. Yet T&T columns were in all of the 1966-68 C-bodies. 1969 is unique as the ignition switch was still on the instrument panel, on the left side of the column, ala Fords of that era. You might find a good exploded view in the 1969 Chrysler Parts Manual, free download from the above website, too. Might even be a Chrysler MasterTech video you can watch at the same website?

Once you get the steering wheel off and the ignition lock plate under it, the switch should be easy to get to. Unplug the harness where it plugs into the vehicle harness toward the bottom of the column. Tie a small wire to the end, turn the connector so it is parallel to the column itself and gently pull it to the top, leaving the wire "in the column". No need to get any deeper into the column, if it works like I suspect it can.

Perhaps this one is different? Perhaps Chrysler had Saginaw Gear build it differently inside for some reason?

If the above link does not work, the web address still will if inputted manually.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
We have the service manual. What we can't figure out is how to remove the tilt actuator collar.

I'm not sure if this is the same, being a '64 column that I think is tilt only, but he uses a puller.

What issue are you having that you need to get that "deep" into the column?

Ty. Will try to create a tool like that. No not a Saginaw. Unfortunate set back as the cam that locks & releases turn signal broke while replacing wiring harness hence this current debacle

No not a Saginaw
I hate to tell you this, but yes it is. The FSM doesn't call it out as Saginaw.

I don't know what year they stopped (if they stopped) using the GM Saginaw tilt-tele column, but as far as I know, they used it in 1969 and later.

It's like the AM/FM "Search Tune" radio... Doesn't say Delco in the FSM, but it's a Delco radio.

These are the manual pages which make it confusing as to if it's Chrysler or Saginaw but not that relevant as long as you recognize it's the page that doesn't mention Saginaw

20240323_130441.jpg

20240323_130436.jpg

I see my pics & answers r completely out of sync

View attachment 651702

View attachment 651703
The Saginaw steering column mentioned in the FSM is the one they used with the automatic trans and had no tilt/tele. They called it out because there was also a Chrysler built column. The FSM does this with their steering pumps too. The .94 steering pump is a Saginaw built pump, although they don't call it out as such.

The tool shown is going to be almost impossible to find. If the column looks anything like the '64 in the video, I would think it's going to be easier to make one like Bob used in the video I posted above. I don't have a '69 FSM, so I can't look... and the '70 I do have is probably different because of the ignition in the column that started in 1970.

Yes we r going to try to make the tool. The video u sent was helpful. We got the materials today will start fabrication early next wk. Ty! Always a work in process.

20240323_140806.jpg

Mark the collar and the column at the bottom (underneath where you can't see it unless you're upside down in the seat), so you can put it back exactly the same way - it's not easy to line it up when reassembling, and it's essential to do so or the tilt and turn signal levers don't go back in properly - so make your marks first.

The collar is a VERY tight press fit - and needs a special tool or a 4 - jaw puller to get it off. However, the tool is rare and hard to find. It's a PITA to do it without, but it can be done.

TIPS LIST:

You must REVERSE the puller's jaws so that the pulling edges of the jaws point OUTWARDS.

The sheet metal of the collar is very easy to bend. The puller spreads the load around that rolled over edge. Go slowly.

If you have a much more easy to find cheap 3 jaw puller that you don't mind trashing, weld some heavy rods that fit the circle of the rolled edge of the collar to the puller jaws.

You'll need to figure out a way to keep the jaws from collapsing - a few good circles of quality mechanic's wire to keep the jaws in place once you've just gotten them to load into position.

Spray some quality penetrant down the insides of the collar a few days before.

Some gentle - and I mean GENTLE - tapping with a rubber mallet around the bottom of the collar will help.

GO SLOWLY.

Back