What rear axle ratio to use ??

The 350 in our 89 Chevy Van and the 360 in our 85 Dodge both eat gas. The 305 in our 87 Chevy Van, the 318 in my 73 Fury, and the 318 in our old [long gone] 74 Sportsman are/were a noticeable bit easier on the pump.

Granted, that's stock* mileage, not possible improvement room, so it depends what you are looking to do. Different strokes for different folks.

*My Dad actually bumped up the compression on the 74 when it ate its timing chain. I never got to drive it, but he says it was a reasonable perk up for the little work/cost involved. (Considering the engine had to be torn apart anyway)

The 350 in our 89 Chevy Van and the 360 in our 85 Dodge both eat gas. The 305 in our 87 Chevy Van, the 318 in my 73 Fury, and the 318 in our old [long gone] 74 Sportsman are/were a noticeable bit easier on the pump.

Granted, that's stock* mileage, not possible improvement room, so it depends what you are looking to do. Different strokes for different folks.

*My Dad actually bumped up the compression on the 74 when it ate its timing chain. I never got to drive it, but he says it was a reasonable perk up for the little work/cost involved. (Considering the engine had to be torn apart anyway)
My buddy has a newer Fuel Injected Vortec 350 in his truck and averages 600 miles per tank, I have the TBI'd 305 in my truck and average over 800 miles per tank same size tanks.

Nick

I want a VERY MILD engine for my Fury, just want to have some guts if I hit the go pedal, my next project will get hit with go-fast goodies and be built a little more performance orientated.

The 350 in the 89 Chevy Van is Fuel Injection (TBI IIRC). Everything else I mentioned is Carb, including the 87 305. (Last year you could get a Carb'd 305 in a Chevy Van IIRC)

He's telling me the truck gets 23 plus miles to the gallon with a 35 gallon tank ...........

He's telling me the truck gets 23 plus miles to the gallon with a 35 gallon tank ...........
Yes, while my cat runs backwards (hot on outlet, cooler on inlet) and sends codes to the OBD I and burns it rich, I get better mileage in my truck than my buddy does in his 4 cyl Sebring.

I need new plugs and I'm still 135 KMS on a 1/4 of a tank (with a trailer, and a car, and an engine hoist, and engine stand, and everything else I've hauled in the last 2 weeks)

Next time I fill it up I'll take a picture of the gas gauge and trip odometer which I'll reset, I'll put the date/time imprint on for you.

Nick

I hate to drop in with all of.you senior guys but its not a 360 or 350 fault the years you are mentioning for both have some of the worst cylinder heads out the (no matter the make). 305 & 318 heads even crappy years have small chambers which creates better quench this is why vortec from chevy and swirl heads(308&302 castings) are much improved the real question is how long it takes to get this chevy taste out of my mouth

Back