What the hell is this?

Number on pad reads PV-11707C, thanks for that a lot of grime on here didn't want to clean the whole thing!

P - 1960 model year
V - 313-V8
11707 - 10,707th engine built
C - Canadian production

The optional 361 V8 for 1960 had prefix PV-HP- while the slant six had just the letter P for prefix.

P - 1960 model year
V - 313-V8
C - Canadian production

The optional 361 V8 for 1960 had prefix PV-HP- while the slant six had just the letter P for prefix.
Thanx for that info, it's gone to another owner as I got bigger plans

P - 1960 model year
V - 313-V8
C - Canadian production

wonderful info thanks. I grew up in Windsor and loved watching the new models coming out of the plant. they would line the fence with plastic all around the plant so the public couldn't see them. we as kids would walk down the railroad tracks to the end of the plastic. this was when the 70 to 71 gtx and runners were made. once in a while a driver would light the tires up for us awesome memories.

wonderful info thanks. I grew up in Windsor and loved watching the new models coming out of the plant. they would line the fence with plastic all around the plant so the public couldn't see them. we as kids would walk down the railroad tracks to the end of the plastic. this was when the 70 to 71 gtx and runners were made. once in a while a driver would light the tires up for us awesome memories.
America really was great then.

Back in the summer of 1968 my family took a trip to Ontario (lived in Winnipeg back then). On the way back we went through Windsor and drove by the Windsor plant. Dad turned around and stopped at the plant gate, and asked if they had tours. The fences were all covered in plastic, as you stated, and of course no plant tours at that time.

But we got a chance to see the new fuselage 1969 Plymouths and Dodges, although from a distance. No cars close to the fence. Dad had a 1965 Dodge 330 at the time, same body as used in 1968, so those fuselage bodies were quite a surprise.

My Dad worked in those factories. Plant 1 (engine plant, which has been levelled- ground laced with PCBs) Plant 3 (now minivan assembly plant) and Plant 6 (full size Van plant- also levelled) Was cool as a kid going through on his shoulders.

In the 50's and early 60's it was a family outing riding from dealership to dealership in late July/early Aug to try and get a peek at the new models through the papered and soaped showroom windows. We figured out that if we went around back we could see some new cars through the service bay windows. Everyone was excited.

I love this pic :)
FOB_DETROIT-NEW_CARS_ARE_LOADED_ONTO_RAILROAD_CARS_AT_LASHER_AND_I-75_-_NARA_-_549696.jpg

My Dad worked in those factories. Plant 1 (engine plant, which has been levelled- ground laced with PCBs) Plant 3 (now minivan assembly plant) and Plant 6 (full size Van plant- also levelled) Was cool as a kid going through on his shoulders.

What were plants 2, 4 and 5?

Not exactly sure. But they weren't in Windsor. Might have been other assembly plants in Detroit?

Wonder if No 2 was the old truck / Imperial Quality plant at Tecumseh and McDougall. It was closed for good at around the same time as the engine plant - 1983.

A few years back someone on another internet forum came up with a photo labelled "Plant No 5" which was used for export from the late 1930's to the late 1940's. In the photo there was a truck parked next to the plant with a load of steel stampings. Was able to determine the plant was built by the American Auto Trimming Company Ltd. around 1911 and was located on Walker Road south of Edna Street. Graham-Paige used the plant from 1931 to 1936. The plant burned down in 1985. Given that the plant was used in the 1930's-1940's I doubt it would have been included in any plant list after that time frame.

The only other plants I can think of from that time would be the parts plant in Chatham.

Wonder if No 2 was the old truck / Imperial Quality plant at Tecumseh and McDougall. It was closed for good at around the same time as the engine plant - 1983.

A few years back someone on another internet forum came up with a photo labelled "Plant No 5" which was used for export from the late 1930's to the late 1940's. In the photo there was a truck parked next to the plant with a load of steel stampings. Was able to determine the plant was built by the American Auto Trimming Company Ltd. around 1911 and was located on Walker Road south of Edna Street. Graham-Paige used the plant from 1931 to 1936. The plant burned down in 1985. Given that the plant was used in the 1930's-1940's I doubt it would have been included in any plant list after that time frame.

The only other plants I can think of from that time would be the parts plant in Chatham.

I remember that plant being the #1 engine plant. There is now a McDonald's on one corner?

(sorry for hijacking the thread :steering:)

Back