Where was this Mopar Brochure/Ad Photo shot?

Not using geo-magic this time, just some observation skills from the photo. Pretty sure I figured out the city, and even maybe the intersection…. But I have never been to this place before, so I am trying to figure it out best I can. I do think there may be a newer building in the way of getting this same exact site line in the photo. But just loaded Google earth on my phone to see if I can get close.

I am pretty sure GMaps ( i tried before I put this one on) wont give you exact LOS (line of sight) because new construction/remodeling at this site vs. as it was in 1969.

Don't worry though ... we'll see if we can "rough ya up" a bit with something in the near future :poke:

Seriously, now I was more just trying a few more "straightforward" games to see if we can get back some of the past/maybe get some more new "players" who like scroungin' around for these things ...

:thumbsup:

Post 338 is going to have to remain a mystery for me.

Man, If you or anybody could find those cars .. with nothing to go on except the photos .. that WOULD be "magic" :)

Sometimes the photo looks similarly insoluable .. but it comes with a location identified. i don't find that particularly interesting though others might .. still I would NOT use it as an OP.

All one has to do is just keep doing (or maybe it comes up with one try) Google Lens/Image (or similar tool) till they come to the website that has the exact pic .. demands no other knowledge of the gamer except pointing/clicking.

So for kicks, exactly where is this 300 alleged to be?

UntitledEE2ccc12812Yxyza (2).png

Represented to be at Padre Island National Seashore, Corpus Christie TX.

Is it? Probably but nothing else tells me THAT is where this car is parked.

I can tell this is a BIG body of water, its temperate (i.e., between the tropic latitudes. etc., .. other than polar regions, it really could almost be anywhere on a planet with 70% of it covered by oceans.

Without a bunch of verbal clues, where do you start looking?

Go there online (i.e., to the place the website says) and it looks like a Gulf of Mexico seascape. I have never been there though.

BUT there is nothing else "distinctive" I can tell (unless its color of the sand or something?) -- like the only place in the world you will see the Chrysler Building is Manhattan -- and everybody knows that so its more credible.

I would be taking the word of the internet (good thing its always right :poke: ). Seriously, doesnt make an interesting game to me ... IMHO.

Anyway, we'll get #340 knocked out and throw something else out there.

1654986410176.png

The background city in the illustration is (1) Detroit, Michigan, (2) the view is from the rooftop parking areas of "Cobo Hall" (site of the formerly named "Detroit Auto Show") in downtown Detroit (the building touches many streets but Washington Blvd at Jefferson Ave. is kinda the "front" of the building), and (3) Yes, you can get a similar picture today but NOT the same one (i.e.,you wont have the same "line-of-sight" today).

The car is a drawing, on a "real photo" of a city-scape background. You could say this 1970 piece is a "photoshopped" ad as it applies to graphic techniques of that era ... but NOT like these guys digitally did with that 300 in Chicago a few posts back (see post #307).

UntitledEE2ccc12812AA.png

However, there many changes, since this 1970 ad for the police Coronet was published, that affect (3).

"Cobo Hall" (name has since been changed and few times and now its the "TCF Center") has been remodeled, the biggest effeort was doublng the size of the building in ~1989. The building always had and STILL has rooftoop parking but access to it (a circular concrete access ramp) was all changed in 50+ years.

Other changes that affected the Cobo site was building Joe Louis Arena (replacement to old Olympia Stadium where Detroit Red Wings played) in ~1980 (the "Joe" itself was demolished in 2019), and construction of the Detroit "People Mover' (a short, light rail loop in downtown Detroit) in late 1980's.

All those changes means SOME of the structures that allowed that 1970 ad picture over Cobo's roof parking area are gone. Roof parking and access to it still exists so a "similar" photo could be made today.

The major buildings visible in the ad are the "Penobscot" and the "Guardian" (two art deco masterpieces from 1930's still standing today), plus the "Ponchartrain' Hotel.

The Ponchartrain, if you didnt know the area on sight, is the lead that would take you to Detroit. A Google search might also take you to New Orleans for example .. but you would NOT see anything -- ever -- there that looks like the the Penobscot or Guardian buildings. Plus New Orlens isnt a "midwest city" near the Great Lakes...

Only one place in the world with those 1970 background structures (and new ones) that matches the clues - Detroit.

1655131112737.png

Last edited:
This was a good puzzle @amazinblue82 , thank you for posting. I would not have been able to figure this one out if it were not for the “Ponchartrain” visible in that one building.

I was a bit doubtful at first regarding the ‘authenticity’ of the photo at first because I couldn’t get the current circular ramp located at Cobo to line up with the skyline, but then I looked at an old aerial photo from 1973 and saw the old circular ramp which then made more sense.
DCB8A950-86E6-412A-AE59-F7585C2F5DA7.jpeg

The only thing I might add is that I do think the original photo was taken at ground level. There are cars parked to the right of the police cruiser illustration and there is a chain link fence present. But again, I have never been to this location, and was only a ‘twinkle in my father’s eye’ in 1970. :)
CD387897-75CD-4E37-8635-44B0ED0152A1.jpeg

No wonder your digital resources are sharp .. you "grew up" with a computer keyboard in your hands :poke:.

Yes, the "Ponchartrain" name (its off the building today) was to clue to get people to "midwest USA city near fresh-water lakes" .. it would rule out Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland, and Buffalo (no Ponchartrains there).

And if people wound up in NOLA with your search, you'd turn around and leave once you saw there THAT Ponchartrain is located in that city.

Neat tool there to get the historical aerial look .. Google Earth had/has that 'look back" aerial feature but it didnt look like this one though. Cool!

Anyway, same view today from Google Maps along side the vintage view (looks llike mid 60's??).

1655147955565.png

Green box is Lodge Freeway that goes UNDER Cobo Hall, then as now. Red box is the round "ballroom, also same then as now. Black box is the circular parking ramp to the roof -- it moved to NW corner after renovation from SW core in the old days.

Also, to your new point .. which I agree BTW -- the 1970 pic LOS was ground level looking up OVER the Cobo roof. Today's photo has the old Joe Louis Arena where that ground level lot was, and notice the much larger size (it expanded two blocks NORTH when they doubled the size) of the 1989 renovated Cobo.

Google Maps doesn't have a vantage point get a photo from down there at ground level but I would guess the renovated Cobo is too tall IF the Joe was still there to get the LOS you need.

Here's a view from the other side for reference...

Last one for me. Maybe I'll try again when wintertime/short days has us more indoors? :)

UntitledEE2ccc12812Yxyz.png

Very large, south central USA city.

1. What city and state?.
2. Where's the Tahoe parked (approximate street location) in that city?
3. Can you "prove your guess" with a contemporary mapping tool photo?

Hardest thing here will likely be finding the city IF you don't know it on sight.

I have been to this city several times in my professional career. I recognize the cityscape, though, because of distinctive architecture in some of the buildings shown in the photo. Nothing looks "shopped" either btw.

Take a couple days and I will post answers if no one posts them first.
:)

Last edited:
PM sent! Never been to this city, but the skyline is very distinctive.
Yeah thats the place. Nice work again chief.

As OP, I'll post answer tonight EDT

You (and/or any others who may step forward by then) can consider letting us know how you approached this one .. particularly at least finding a city you've never been to -- imperative that is done first else locating the Tahoe is of course impossible.

thanks!

This is (1) Houston,Tx, (2) the Tahoe is parked on the roof of a parking structure on Sabine Street, and (3) the proof of that location is below. Only one player reported all the answers though maybe there were others.

Anyone who wants to describe how they solved this one please do. I solved it by using the "only in Houston" structures to lead me ... as they are very distinctive elements of the Houston skyline.

If someone sees it different, please offer up/show where you think the Tahoe is .. but not a doubt this is Houston.
1655258373479.png

The modern skycraper on the the right has many different firms in it and its right across from Sam Houston Park (the large patch of trees in right foreground).

The '"three-gable-roof", modern skyscraper on the left used to be a bank .. apparentlly now its called the 'TC Energy" building. The, older white-colored building in the middle was Shell Oil Company HQ (the Shell HQ moved out 10+ years ago), 50 stories, and built in 1971.

The Tahoe photo looks toward the EAST to downtown, over I-45 (the only [and shortest], odd numbered north/south interstate entirely in one state -- connects Houston with Dallas).

The parking structure on Sabine has the line of sight depicted by the long orange arrows and prominent strutures in red circles (I can't get it with Google Maps -- Google Earth could).

The other two pics show the parking strudture (Red X, the color of the roof, view from the ground, etc.) and the view from Sabine St. to the the rooftop parking (red arrow). The distance is about 1/2 mile from downtown buildings behind the Tahoe.

UntitledEE2ccc12812AAA.png
UntitledEE2ccc12812AAAA.png

Last edited:
Another great puzzle @amazinblue82. I like how these make me ‘stretch my brain’ in news ways.

I had to use my ‘Google Magic’ to figure out the city, but once I landed on Houston, to used Google map to figure out which side of the skyline this photo was taken from.

From there I used some knowledge I learned in grade school about drawing buildings from a point of ‘perspective’. When looking at the skyline in the photo, I could not make out any of the sides of the tall white building (which i now know was the former Shell HQ). From a perspective situation, that meant the camera was pretty much straight in front of that building.

The building with the red roof directly over the top of the Tahoe (turns out is the Hobby Center for the performing arts) was another defining feature easy to spot in an aerial photo. Finding that building made
It much easier to pinpoint exactly where the Tahoe was parked for that photo.

Thanks again for helping stretch my brain.

7FF50488-55E3-4625-A2D0-AA2720281940.jpeg

4F225AB5-59E9-4827-9CAB-03DFF26A367B.jpeg

I have a new puzzle coming from west coast soon.

Here’s one from a guy in the west, so it was fitting that I post a puzzle based in the west.

4F94B2CB-0379-4E82-8D84-B46BDA876690.jpeg

Learning from the master @amazinblue82:

This is a well known city on the west coast. Provide the following in your answer if you want to play along:

1) City and State
2) precise location where this photo was take (Google peg man can get to this same exact view)
3) there is a very distinctive building in the picture. In fact, if this building were an actor, it would have its own IMDb page. Post some fun facts about said building.
Bonus points: tell us about any changes in the skyline between when the ad photo was taken and now.

"No master" brother .. just an old man trying to keep the neurons poppin" (been into "brain games" as far back as I can remember):)

I 100% know the city .. hopefully I can get first three ... the "bonus" may be tougher as nothing is coming to mind ... if nobody posts it first, I will PM you my guesses evening today EDT

I don't know, looks the same to me, wish there was another place I could stay, probably couldn't afford it anyway.
As a kid I always thought the elevators were really cool, inside to outside.
InterContinental.jpg

Alan

Looks like we have a winner! Was this one too easy?

@MrMoparCHP certainly knows the distinctive building I was referring too. I will hold on revealing its name until later.

Interesting observation…. When I go to street view on Google maps, I see a relatively new building over on the right.

661F053A-2C81-4DFA-BBA8-6165FCD4D95B.jpeg

That building was recently granted a particular ‘status’ for the west coast when it was built.

hey hey .. you fellas aint been sitting around waitin' for me get off the clock ... :poke:

I also now know the "bonus" -- since its in #357 but not the game photo -- the building has a singular distrinction since ~2018??.

Plus, there is a connection between @MrMoparCHP's favorite elevators and those in a "cousin" building in Detroit (I worked in that building for 8 years - my millenial daughters grew up in those things .. both in terror riding them till about 2 yrs old .. then it was fun for them from then till now)

hope you decide to let it run a while .. see who chimes in? Sent you a PM for confirmation in any event.

Too easy? Naw I dont think so. Maybe for those of us with the interest/skills find some games easier than other games/other players, there still is "work" to do to "solve" these things even then.

On OP makes a judgement about what we THINK everybody knows ... example: where/what is this? While surely somebody in America may have NO idea, most of us know what this is and where it is. IMHO, thats too EZ.

1655308293463.png

In contrast, where's the Imp? Who da @#$% knows.... IMHO, Too Hard, probably even with written clues.

1655308465974.png

Looks like we have a winner! Was this one too easy?

@MrMoparCHP certainly knows the distinctive building I was referring too. I will hold on revealing its name until later.

Interesting observation…. When I go to street view on Google maps, I see a relatively new building over on the right.

View attachment 537837

That building was recently granted a particular ‘status’ for the west coast when it was built.
It is there, I just used my time machine. I think you are referring to the special status relating to fire

Alan

I am very impressed with how exactly to search and describe where the photos were taken!

Back