Where was this Mopar Brochure/Ad Photo shot?

Post #354 is indeed Los Angeles, Ca. The Chevy Colorado is on Figueroa Street between 2nd and 3rd street. The iconic building in the background is the Bonaventure Hotel and is the background for many a movie and TV show.

Westin Bonaventure Hotel - Wikipedia

@amazinblue82 informed me this hotel has a big brother in Detroit. The GM HQ was designed by the same architect and has a very similar look:
198DB286-5C99-43E4-B9B6-8353496E51DF.jpeg

The bonus points re: the changes skyline is that tall building in the back is the Wilshire Grand Center. Measuring in at 1100’ it took the claim of being the tallest building on the west coast.

I’ll post another soon. Thanks for playing!

Last edited:
I did do my "homework" couple days ago... :)

UntitledEE2ccc12812AAA.png

thanks for showing the former Renaisance Center (now GM World HQ) in Detroit .. I havent ever had a chance to stay at Westin Bonaventure but have been there for a couple events over the years.

definitely was like i'd been there before though.. given all movies shot there - 58 titles and counting: Filming Locations Westin Bonaventure Hotel

Aside: when Ren Cen first opened, the elevators got lots of attention. Not just the view afforded by the glass walls of the elevator shafts and the the cars -- the elevators are "outside" the buildings in the glass tubes, they were really fast.

So fast, they had to slow them a bit to make people feel more comfortable riding them.

A couple for the holidays.

Cool "Car Art" Illustrations

Recall the game?

Where is this 1958 Poncho parked in this factory advertising?

It is in a large northeastern city in USA. Need answers for all the following questions.

1. City and State?
2. Exact location of this Pontiac IN that big city?
3. Name of this structure and its significance (building still exists today)?

Again, if you get it, please consider letting the game run for a while. But post and let us know IF you get it -- I use that info to help decide how long to let it run (too easy, too hard, no interest, etc.)

I will post the answer over the weekend. In the meantime, PM me if you want me to confirm your answers.

Seems like about 10 of us members play this game all the time, and many of you who play on occasion all are really good at finding these locations. Maybe a few more people could get interested?

1668012770672.png

I know the answer to all three questions. Easypeasy, really. Do you want me to tell the answer?
You are the first one to get it.

May I ask that you "hold" providing the answer so we can let some other folks get their shots at it?

:)

I suspect the grounds have been changed over the years, maybe when the handicap ramp went in or it was just artistic freedom.
Auditorium.jpg

Alan

you move toward the right, and you see that exact style railing as in the ad. i agree the disability ramp was added later (joint was built in 1955).

plus ... and maybe this is different too .. you can't park like that now without pissin' a buncha folks off.

anyway, you and @330dTA have the place nailed. we'll see how it goes if anybody else tries.

:thumbsup:

Day late and a dollar short! Thanks for posting the game @amazinblue82
@SPF Required

It just popped up in another thread chief .. and I happened to recognize the building from personal experience at this location/in this city.

I only have 4-5 more games I was gonna try to get it before Christmas, then pick up again in spring 2023. They'll get a little harder before Santa Claus gets here.

:)

@330dTA was first to get #363. @MrMoparCHP was next to report it correctly and post a contemporary google image from the perspective of the Pontiac.

Those gentlemen can regale us with how they did it if they want. I will start another game later today.

1668253886314.png
map 3.png

This is located in Cambridge, MA (Boston), it is the Kresge Auditorium on the campus of MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), and the architectural significance is its a Eero Saarinen design of mid-century modern style (post WWII til about 1970) that is world recognized.

1668253196582.png
1668253544380.png

source: Kresge Auditorium - Wikipedia

I recognized this place immediately having lived in Boston and attended musical events at the Kresge. Acoustics are excellent. Before 1990, however, I had never heard of it. It is a quite striking design, inside and out. Good writeup at the link above.

You could tell what Pontiac was trying to do in their advertising late '50's early '60's. Several product placements nearby architectural gems worldwide, particularly innovative designs like Kresge.

Last edited:
I have never had the opportunity to visit there, but I recognized the Kresge Auditorium immediately when I saw the post.
I was trained as an architect, and my favourite professor was dyed in the wool modernist, and of the same generation as Eero Saarinen, the architect who lead the team of designers of Kresge Auditorium. I vividly remembered my professor lamenting the fact that the ingenius concrete shell of a roof, which originally had rested only on its three corners, had been supported by additional load bearing walls, compromising the original idea.
Later, during my professional career the same auditorium seemed to pop up as a model on many occasions.

The designers of both the ’58 Pontiac, and the Kresge Auditorium both wanted to express and celebrate the space age. Only the vocabulary they chose was different, specific to them.

Last edited:
Where's the 1964 Olds Vista Cruiser.

1. City and state - pretty easy
2. Exact Location of the car - more difficult than it seems.

Good luck.

map 5E.png

#375 is solved via PM, and TWO members (both long time game participants) have allowed game to continue.

If you get it, please wait to post answer until tomorrow (Monday). That should be plenty of time for anyone else interested.

I will post answer tomorrow night and start one last game for this year.

:thankyou:

Last edited:
#375.

@MrMoparCHP got it first, then @SPF Required was next. These guys get every one so they have interest and skills to solve these. They can weigh in if they wanna add anything.

This New York City, specifically lower Manhattan, in the background. The Olds is on Governor's Island (part of Manhattan borough, about 1/2 mile South out in NY Harbor) looking northerly along the long axis of Manhattan Island.

You cannot see the Chrysler Building, nor the Empire State as they are in "Midtown"

I put arrows on the skylines' reference buildings, and Battery Maritime launch ports for Governor's Island Ferry in the center of photos, as they are 60 years apart and a lot has changed.

You see the new One WTC replacement for WTC Towers in the contemporary photo, and not the Olds photo as it wasnt built till 1970. The Twin Towers of course would have dominated the skyline from '70 until ..

The car is definitely on Carder Rd (somewhere, which is exact enough) on northern end of Governor's Island. It looks like over the years the Island has changed so it doesn't seem like now you can get so close to the waters edge.

map 3.png
map 7A.png

map 7.png

Last edited:
I feel it is a composite picture, the area in the circle best matches the brochure, looking at the Street View you can see there was most likely never a road with a stripe.

1954.jpg

2019.jpg

Carder.jpg

Alan

I feel it is a composite picture, the area in the circle best matches the brochure, looking at the Street View you can see there was most likely never a road with a stripe.

View attachment 567513

View attachment 567514

View attachment 567515

Alan
yeah i agree .. somewhere on Carder, between the Ferry slips and the old "Battery Tunnel ventilation tower. That section of Carder gives the angles - I used the Battery Maritime slips on FDR to try to line up with the skyline.

I think the green fence is newer than '64, OR it was the victim of a creative shrubery addition (like it was added with the yellow road stripe on Carder).

Where is this New Yorker parked for this illustration?

1. US City?
2. Name of Building?
3. Name of statue on the far left?

EZ if your have a good feel for architecture of famous buildings. Not so EZ if not. Intended to be harder to solve for that reason.

If you get it, consider letting game run. If you want to confirm your guess, PM me. I will post answer Sunday if no one else reports solving this one.

1669394431835.png

I am Always so impressed with the ads you are able to find. I am particularly impressed with this one. PM sent with my answers.

Hope you had a good thanksgiving.

Back