WIW: auto console with tach. 68 Monaco 500.

Charger Dana

Reaction score
I bought a 68 Monaco 500, a neat car, 440, some personalized trim on the car. Car itself is a rust bucket, but I was looking for some interior trim. The console is unrestored and in very good condition. I have a 67 Charger, slightly different console, but this one is better than mine. Zero cracks in the plastic. Plate is pretty good (zoom in on pics. Some wear.). Rear plate there with seatbelt attachments (non-bbody) and the armrest pad has not a crack in it. The best part, it has an original tach. Carpet is faded, but all there. Chargers came with tachs in the dash, otherwise I’d keep this for myself. Tach is also in good shape, minor crazes but no rust. I would be looking to sell this console complete (no shifter etc.). No lighter either but rear cap is in good shape.

What would be a reasonable range for this set up? I know when I was looking for a complete console for my 4sp Charger there just was hardly anything available.

For curiosity, this car had the original owner’s name and location on the exterior of the car- looks like a spot was there specifically for it. Does anyone know what this is about? I’d assume it’s a deal installed option, but matches the certicard. I’ve never seen one before.

IMG_8919.jpeg

IMG_8638.jpeg

IMG_8636.jpeg

IMG_8629.jpeg

IMG_8623.jpeg

IMG_8688.jpeg

Last edited:
So is the car too bad to save?? Because it is very rare and doesn’t look too far gone unless the bottom is far worse than the top.
@cbarge

Unfortunately way too far gone. Lots of salt in Quebec. It looks way better than it is. It is a shame. The guy I bought from grabbed the 440 and tranny (running great) but there was a log holding up the rear end. Just open air in the trunk. Also damage from careless dismantling. Zoom in to see the log. No kidding!

IMG_8659.jpeg

Holy smokes!

I bought a 68 Monaco 500, a neat car, 440, some personalized trim on the car. Car itself is a rust bucket, but I was looking for some interior trim. The console is unrestored and in very good condition. I have a 67 Charger, slightly different console, but this one is better than mine. Zero cracks in the plastic. Plate is pretty good (zoom in on pics. Some wear.). Rear plate there with seatbelt attachments (non-bbody) and the armrest pad has not a crack in it. The best part, it has an original tach. Carpet is faded, but all there. Chargers came with tachs in the dash, otherwise I’d keep this for myself. Tach is also in good shape, minor crazes but no rust. I would be looking to sell this console complete (no shifter etc.). No lighter either but rear cap is in good shape.

What would be a reasonable range for this set up? I know when I was looking for a complete console for my 4sp Charger there just was hardly anything available.

For curiosity, this car had the original owner’s name and location on the exterior of the car- looks like a spot was there specifically for it. Does anyone know what this is about? I’d assume it’s a deal installed option, but matches the certicard. I’ve never seen one before.

View attachment 640588

View attachment 640589

View attachment 640590

View attachment 640591

View attachment 640592

View attachment 640593
What's your console worth? Asking for a friend.

What's your console worth? Asking for a friend.
That’s the question! I know what my 4sp top plate alone was worth for my 67 Charger, and that was painful, but this is the whole thing with a tach.

There is a 1” hole inside the console compartment in the corner but everything exterior is good.

I’m not fishing, I just don’t see many of these complete units for sale for comparison.

That’s the question! I know what my 4sp top plate alone was worth for my 67 Charger, and that was painful, but this is the whole thing with a tach.

There is a 1” hole inside the console compartment in the corner but everything exterior is good.

I’m not fishing, I just don’t see many of these complete units for sale for comparison.
Yep, I can see that. I know most console tachs go for a easy $500. More if they work and have the wiring and driver for it and less if they are pitted and don't work. Is your console worth $1000, $750, $500, less? Offer it up for what it's worth to you. If you're way too high, no one will be interested. You can always come down on price.

My inbox was full and I’ve emptied it out, sorry about that. I hadn’t realized how many birthdays I’ve had since joining!
Yep get ready. You will be busy when you post them up for sale.

Windsor built 440 Magnum Monaco 500's are SUPER rare.
Too bad about being too far gone.

The Tach is worth more than the console.
A rebuilt tach with electronic guts and rechromed fetches 2 grand.
Good cores run 500 bux. Throw in the console...lol!

Looks like somebody used a dymo label maker with clear tape to put the owner 's name on the trim.
First time I've ever seen anyone do that.

I think you've found a car even the derby guys would run away from!

Haven’t seen one sell in a while. My 68 sport fury convertible was a factory console each car and a 4 speed to boot. Let me know when it’s for sale.

Nice score. Probably a lot of good parts there. The wide lower moulding is also unobtanium so you should consider passing that on to someone in need. My 68 Monaco 500 also has the same console but with a vacuum gauge.

BTW does the radio work?
I am not sure. Motor and tranny were out of the car when I got it. Kind of a hill billy owned it in super-rural Saskatchewan. But he knows his Mopar 440s. Town of 12. I imagine it’s still there. If/when we get there I’ll let you know. Basically picked it up for interior pieces. Would have been a nice car. I don’t know much about the c bodies honestly.

Back