For Sale WTB C body

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpreposterous

Reaction score
Contact seller
Moderators: I hope a WTB ad is okay here as we do not have a WTB section.

I want to buy your C-body...
Yeah, I'm serious. My last college student kid graduates May 1 and I've been saving! The one I will want to spring for likely (but not absolutely) will be a:
  • 4-door
  • Clear #2 or #3 (see reference from link): Essentially, a "done" or close to it.
Condition reference:
Collector Car Market Review Condition Guidelines

While I won't be ready to open the wallet till April (maybe a few weeks earlier), I don't think it'll hurt to start the conversation now, while, hopefully, your C is safe from Mickey and Minnie's family and the County Salt Monsters. Now, those things said, I'm not overly fussy:

Originality: Not numbers matching? Not concerned. Upgraded to disc brakes and threw in later model seats? Fine. Long as it's done well. Not a fan of 24-inch wheels or flames on the hood, though.
Drivetrain: Love the slants, the small and the big blocks. Hey, they're all Mopar! Just need it to run well. Comfortable with a 3-tree or Torqueflite.
The year/model: Yes, like you, I have favorites. But I can appreciate a humble '65 /Six Fury I 4 door as readily as I do a '70 New Yorker sedan with a 383. I do tend to prefer Slabs and Fusies over Formals.

However, the only 2 doors I am likely to find in my budget are unlikely to be in #2 or #3 territory. If I want a "done," or close to it, I'll probably have to go for a more door. And I'm okay with that. And though I fall solidly into the fan category of "check writer" (at least for now), I've learned that VMR does as fair as a job as anyone (and much better than Hagerty or NADA) at sizing up the market. Check out the link and the example.

Collector Car Values
9_U0d_QPJ_-_Imgur.jpg

My promise to you? No big games or insulting low-ball offers. I'm not planning on rodding it nor passing off your hard work as my own at a show. Just to enjoy it as it is.

Naturally, build threads, underbody pix and receipts would be welcome.
Please feel free to PM me or just reply in this thread with what you're thinking of moving...and thanks for your sweat equity!

Brian
Mr. Helpless Wrench, but Charge Nurse extraordinaire and cherisher of all things Mopar!

Unfortunately, I do not have anything to offer, but I would like to set a spell and have some popcorn if you dont mind...

impala popcorn.gif

I read it as $6,000.00.
So much does depend on the car. I feel $6K is a friendly territory. I'd go higher for the right car, but I wouldn't look to drop $12,050 (VMR review for #1 condition '66 New Yorker 4dr HT) on any C-body 4 door that didn't have a ring of power in the glove box!
One-Ring-to-Rule-them-all.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, though not technically C bodies, I really like '63-64 Chryslers and Dodge 880s! Alas, elegant though they are, Imperials are too much length for my garage!

Interested in a 71 Fury III? Can send pics & description later today. Have to leave for work. I'm in Chesapeake, Va

Brian I have a feeling you will be overwhelmed with options before you’re “ready” but I’m looking forward to watching the fun.

Dr. P,

I know that you messaged me a few weeks ago looking for a quality resto shop in the Detroit area. Please don't take offense that I didn't reply... As so often happens, I probably got a phone call/text message/email/wife yelled up from the 1st floor/etc. and I forgot. Then I remembered again, but got distracted before I logged in. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Part of this was also probably because I didn't have an answer. I don't really farm anything out except suspension work on my hooptie daily drivers. And the guy I use is marginal at that, lol.

I have all kinds of friends who want to "get an old car" while keeping a budget in mind. The problem is not a lack of cars, the problem is they want a '70 Charger for $5k. When I explain $5k would get you the nicest C body sedan on earth, I get "yeah, but that's not something I like". Ok, then buy a $5000 disaster rot-bucket project muscle car that will sit around unfinished until you're on SSI.

This is exactly kind of car I'd recommend:

For Sale - 1974 New Yorker Brougham

You could probably drive that car to work everyday and then down to Florida. It will deliver the good things about owning an old car (feel, sounds, positive attention, icebreaker) with none of the bad (unreliable, expensive, theft target). It has a 440, an interesting option load and history. Good colors as well. It's $4500.

But if it doesn't turn your crank, it's not worth $4.50. I bought the car below for something around $2k, and that was because I felt sorry for it. (In the photo, I'm OTD with new tires for less than $360) I knew that no one else would be interested because it was a sedan. I actually did drive it all last winter, and it didn't dissolve or leave me stranded. I would have driven it this year, but have been too busy to even re-insure it. Maybe when the weather breaks for a few days.

My point is there are lots of good buys out there. My advise is to just start with a good solid car that probably doesn't have a following. If you buy it right, you needn't loose a dime should you decide to move along to something a little flashier.

IMG_20170203_163004_zpsjle00kvi.jpg

Just to prove my point, I'm going to put up a few I'd recommend with some comments...

1974 Chrysler New Yorker - $4500(Warren,Mi)
image 2 of 7
00404_4spgZK5FqPn_600x450.jpg

00b0b_3CpednJAL7n_600x450.jpg

01414_aLOmFGfD0Q4_600x450.jpg

00b0b_doP2VRvlWba_600x450.jpg

00y0y_l2psr0nGCYq_600x450.jpg

1974 chrysler New Yorker

Releasing my jewel. Up for sale a classic old 1974 Chrysler New Yorker 3 chamber Flowmasters MSD distributor MSD coil 440 engine 727 torqueflite trans with a Dana rear end... new vinyl top 5 year old paint job. 4500. Five 8 six 422 3011 Herb
------

I don't know if I like the phrase "release my jewel", but this is probably a decent car. I'd have to put eyes on it, but you could tinker with it by removing and undoing crap, vs. rebuilding it from top to bottom.

-----

76 Chrysler New Yorker - Brougham - $4850 (Bellevue) hide this posting
image 5 of 14
01313_d87VQr7xr15_600x450.jpg

00v0v_2eGu9CoFcVs_600x450.jpg

00I0I_eRBHmVtr1ZU_600x450.jpg

00o0o_hIUvBFC2KbL_600x450.jpg

00l0l_cnJlsYtjz1f_600x450.jpg

00909_b1OfbV48uFe_600x450.jpg

00101_jJBhdcGUcAT_600x450.jpg

1976 Chrysler New Yorker

Selling my 1976 Chrysler New Yorker - Brougham

The Car is the dull beige/yellow int/ext., it has a 440 big block, with automatic trans, 66k miles.

The lights all work even the flip down headlight doors.

The body has some scratches and dings, previous owner tried parking in a 1950's single car garage (oops!)

The car runs and drives but would need work to be a daily driver. It is a fantastic car for restoration as the body has a solid floor pan, trunk pan, rockers, frame, all solid.

I am not the original owner and I have no emotional attachment to the car. If you're ready to buy I'm ready to sell. Thanks for looking I look forward to talking with you.

------

I just realized this car has a parchment (not tan) leather interior, which I really like. I might go buy it myself.

-------

69 new yorker - $5500
00s0s_dTvf3UHJeAL_600x450.jpg

00N0N_jwQs8FN3Ux_600x450.jpg

00202_cHRG5zy5TVo_600x450.jpg

01212_8BUpY7O6bL9_600x450.jpg

1969 chrysler new yorker

69 new yorker 4 door 29000 miles nothing wrong with $5500 drive away show contact info
3027.png

3027.png

-----
Come strapped with $3500. This could be a good car that needs de-crapification, or a bunch of bondo. Need to put eyes on.
-------

1968 Dodge Charger project. sell or possibly trade? - $4995 (Carleton)
image 1 of 7
00m0m_iPB7AxGMZSq_600x450.jpg

Selling a 1968 Dodge Charger project car.
*Building a new house, so may trade toward Dozer, Skid Steer, Excavator or?

-------

Use the excavator to bury it.

For my money, I’d be working out a deal with @Ramtuff53, have him get this one running for you, and you will have a unique C for a decent price.

1970 Chrysler Newport Cordoba

The problem with that car is that it's 1000 miles away and hasn't seen the road since Clinton was president. I have a '69 Imperial that I could "get running" in a weekend, but there is no way I'd recommend my car for somebody just looking to dip their toes in the hobby. Don't count on a seller to "get it running".

Buy something that you could imagine being used as actual transportation within the past couple years. Don't go to Mr. Steak and order a 20 Oz ribeye if you haven't eaten for a week.

IMG_20170827_173920.jpg

The blue ‘69 New Yorker is on the rough side, I stopped to check it out.

I kinda figured. Just giving it the outside chance to was a grandma car that wound up in dumb hands.
Maybe it was but grandma drove it year round.

So much does depend on the car. I feel $6K is a friendly territory. I'd go higher for the right car, but I wouldn't look to drop $12,050 (VMR review for #1 condition '66 New Yorker 4dr HT) on any C-body 4 door that didn't have a ring of power in the glove box!
View attachment 161494

All c bodies come with the ring of power, factory installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back