1958 Plymouth 318 - four barrel rebuild kit??

WikedPlymouth

Reaction score
My car runs ok but been thinking I should rebuild the carb. Most shops around me charge $275 and up for that service and I've done a few rebuilds in the past and not hard. My question is, does anyone know where to buy a rebuild kit for the factory Carter/AFB 4 barrel carb that came on the 318 in 1958? Tried looking at some of the numbers on the carb but just not sure.

Thanks in advance.

check this... 1958-71 CARB REBUILD KIT DODGE CARTER AFB 4BARREL NEW ETHANOL TOLERANT | eBay
1712249135050.jpeg

NO. Spreadbores did not exist until QJets in about 1965. 2.25" secondary throttle bores are not in those gaskets.

I suspect that eBay kit is for a newer AFB, with the multitude of accel pump shooter gaskets and different base gaskets. The smaller baseplate bolt pattern and smaller air cleaner gasket were pre-1968. Might need to get into a carb parts supplier that caters more to earlier AFBs. As to the particular carb number, look in the factory service manual for your application and use that one. It'll probably come with more gaskets than needed.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Kantor has the correct ones, but they are not cheap. I remember rebuilding these back in the sixties. The cost then was about what a Big Mac is today.

I just checked Rockauto.com. While they list many different carter numbers, all of their pictures are like the ones above, spreadbores. Could it be that the parts are the correct ones but the picture is just some standard shot?

According to their information, this will fit a New Yorker '57-'65, and those were not spreadbore carbs either.

1958 PLYMOUTH FURY 5.2L 318cid V8 Carburetor Repair Kit | RockAuto

Wicked Plymouth
Here are a couple of sites to check out.
The first one is not open all the time. Check the site to confirm. I have purchased from him. Great guy to deal with.

The second is also a great person. His site is easier to navigate.

The third is a shop the will rebuild yours. Many on the forum have used his services and with no complaints.
www.thecarburetorshop.com
www.carburetor-blog.com
www.carburetorrestorationyoungstownoh.com/contact
What ever way you chose to go; Good Luck
Omni

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help. As to why I want to rebuild the original carb...it runs well...but does have a bog when you get on the throttle. I never did open up the carb when I got the car, just sprayed out the passages the best I could with carb cleaner. Before I purchased the car it has sat for about 26 years. Just thought it was a good idea to get it clean. Thanks.

Back