SOLD 1965 or 1966 Plymouth Fury 2-Door Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, now I see said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw (he could see, understand). I am going to the bank tomorrow to arrange wiring to his account, with a 24 hr. hold, until I get the signed title in my hands.

I am not sure where to start, after I get it into my 2 1/2 car garage. I have an attic in the rafters where I have laid 5/8" plywood and leftover carpet from the house. Great storage area; lots of it.
What should I do to it first? I am looking at carpet colors in the Legendary website. I wonder what the original outside color was. The interior is a 2-tone blue.
I guess I better get to bed. Later.

Thanks Commando1. So, where from here. I have contracted with Movewheels.com to haul my car from SoCal to my home in Louisville, Ky. What is the first thing I should do after I confirm that it does run, stop and the trans has all 3 forward and reverse gears. Clean it inside and out? The drivers side of the bench seat looks like a bear clawed the crap out of it on the upper part and the seat area has some cover over pit where you are supposed to sit. I was going to install a brand new interior in it in the future, anyways. I'll keep the old seat covers and store them and any other old parts off of the car for posterity. What do I do now?

Your question is best answered if we know your intent. Are you going to drive it while you work on it, or will this be a take it apart and work on it until it is finished scenario?

Oh! I will drive it while I work on it. The underside, from the pics the owner sent, is very rust free. Should I under-coat it? He said the speedo doesn't work, but the rest of the dash items do.

Your question is best answered if we know your intent. Are you going to drive it while you work on it, or will this be a take it apart and work on it until it is finished scenario?
Better yet:
Wait till you get it and see what you're starting with. Your priorities will probably be thrown for a loop.

Thanks Commando1. So, where from here. I have contracted with Movewheels.com to haul my car from SoCal to my home in Louisville, Ky. What is the first thing I should do after I confirm that it does run, stop and the trans has all 3 forward and reverse gears. Clean it inside and out? The drivers side of the bench seat looks like a bear clawed the crap out of it on the upper part and the seat area has some cover over pit where you are supposed to sit. I was going to install a brand new interior in it in the future, anyways. I'll keep the old seat covers and store them and any other old parts off of the car for posterity. What do I do now?
We have the exact same interior. Definitely hang on to your seat covers to get them matched up. I ended up buying rolls of original OEM fabric and vinyl from SMS then had the seat covers made locally. Sent all four door panels to them for refurbish as well.

Your interior
Interior from a Fury 1.jpg

Mine before, luckily the original front bench came with the car.
DSC02376.JPG

After
Interior 2.JPG

Fury interior 1.jpg

Ok, agreed on the priorities thing. Secondly, I wonder if SMS will have enough material to do my interior, if I go back with the 2-tone blue, which looks great after seeing your new interior. I like the Hurst '64-'65 bench seat shifter, which I thought about doing 1: for wow/cool factor and 2: the 4-speed is lighter than the A-833. How much lighter is it? I don't know what the original ext color was. This car does have the original CERTICARD with it! How lucky is that.

How did my bench seat get so "clawed" up like that? As you can see, I am missing (I think, I'll have to ask) that right-rear passenger panel. What do people use to fabricate a panel to pass for original. Did Mother Mopar use that hardboard material? I want the interior and possibly the exterior stock original and have that sleeper look, but with a big monster tach and a 4-speed and at least 480-500 hp. Are there any lightweight components/panels/parts available that will fit this car/ that were made for this model? Sorry, but I have lots of questions. Your car looks great. I thought about doing a 2-tone medium/bright red interior and a satin white exterior. I will have the new paint job color sanded and buffed to a satin sheen, like a ribbon of satin, yes!

Thanks so far to everyone who commented on this thread. I really need your guidance, help and patients. I am a little stupid at times. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I was introduced to Mopars when I was 7 getting ready to turn 8. It was a '68 RR that belonged to the older brother of a kid we became friends with. He was only a few years younger than his brother and he ended up buying an ARR 'Cuda in southern Indiana at a used car lot for a little over $2,000. at the time. That was back in the mid-eighties I believe. Boy, prices were friendlier then, but we didn't have all the parts available back then like we do now and the internet has REALLY opened-up our chances on finding NOS, repro and used parts of all and any kind of description from around the world for our beloved Mopars now!

Looks like a nice car to start with. My advice would be to look for an original rear door panel. There's a guy on this board newmexguy I think that had a partial car in dry condition. Maybe he would sell you a door panel.

I could go that route, but I can remove the left-side one and copy it with an appropriate board of the same or similar material.

We have the exact same interior. Definitely hang on to your seat covers to get them matched up. I ended up buying rolls of original OEM fabric and vinyl from SMS then had the seat covers made locally. Sent all four door panels to them for refurbish as well.

Your interior
View attachment 86788

Mine before, luckily the original front bench came with the car.
View attachment 86789

After
View attachment 86790

View attachment 86791

That interior is simply beautiful.

I'll check that newmexguy out and ask him. I couldn't see all of that panel. I didn't think about that. Oops.

Furiousone, slow down to a hundred! Your going to find interior parts are few and far between and expensive. Wait till you get the car and see where you're at. Hopefully that body is in good shape, if you paid anything near asking price you paid a lot (but less than me so not judging).
Check out my garage pics, as I started with a similar condition hardtop.

Yes, that 2-tone blue looks great. I think a 2-tone red with white or bright silver would be great, too. Maybe the original 2-tone blue with a bright silver ext.? All 3 choices would look great and make choosing hard!

I'll check out your garage pics. Is it a Sport Fury with a checkered floor? Trying to slow down. The owner showed me pics of the undercarriage, it is very clean. It spent its whole life in San Diego, I believe. It has been in SoCal its whole life. The tank was boiled out and coated. It has a new headliner. He said he wouldn't go any lower than $4,500. It has the original CERTICARD, drivetrain and inter./exter. parts. I'll find out if that panel is still with the car. I'll bet it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back