1966 Polara 500 The Black Car

Hey Lucomob! I found ya! Was great seeing you yesterday at sunny slopes! Looking forward to someday getting my Fury rolling and breathing fire again!

I was hoping someone would catch that. A couple of tacks that no one will see, practice indeed.

No I don't have a welder. I'm thinking of getting a better 110 unit, I've been told many times it will do all I need by welders, and I don't have 220 out in the garage.

Scott here is what I got. It was a Fleet Farm special. Clarke 110 gas or no gas. It comes with the gas regulator in case you want to do aluminum or other advanced welding but not needed for basic stuff with the right wire. I think it was less than $300 with the cart but that was 10 years ago. It seems like I mostly use it to fix wire frame Christmas Yard Decorations. Marty Moose as the neighbor kids call him tends to get beaten up by the wind. I have carried it through the snow to do emergency winter repairs. It is a nice size and handy to have around.
DEBDE63C-4FD0-45B3-89CB-F71DE98C070C.jpeg

Hey Lucomob! I found ya! Was great seeing you yesterday at sunny slopes! Looking forward to someday getting my Fury rolling and breathing fire again!
Sweet! Had too much fun, accordig to the home office, ha! Hunt for your parts here and that fury will be lining up next year, not the metric!

Scott here is what I got. It was a Fleet Farm special. Clarke 110 gas or no gas. It comes with the gas regulator in case you want to do aluminum or other advanced welding but not needed for basic stuff with the right wire. I think it was less than $300 with the cart but that was 10 years ago. It seems like I mostly use it to fix wire frame Christmas Yard Decorations. Marty Moose as the neighbor kids call him tends to get beaten up by the wind. I have carried it through the snow to do emergency winter repairs. It is a nice size and handy to have around.
View attachment 205373
Thanks for the lead, I'll look into it.

So the 500 lost its first race, I'm blaming my tuner. I got the jump out if the hole but had a significant bog that gave @dagwoodspolara the win. I probably would have lost when easing up to go into third gear. A stronger transmission is now on the top of the list, right there with replacement springs. Phone died so no proof in court of any mishap. But I did miss saving photos of a 69 Barracuda Mod Top, a wicked 73 Charger all jacked up with big tires and a sweet 80's multi-stripe paint job, amongst others. There was a 1927 American Fire Apparatus fire truck from the local fire Dept, with all owners keeping the truck in the area since the city sold it in 2007(?). Big old Continental engine was cool to see. @68FuryI had his 2012 Charger taking all comers. We had a kid there @commando1 would have had a hemorage dealing with, but he might get it someday. Racing was had by many this year, more than last, even though the car count was down. The host put the Blues Brothers up on the shed and I got home ten hours after I got there, it wasn't a bad day at all.

A good welder is the best thing you can ever buy.

The power to melt metal with your semi bare hands is worth more than money.

I started out with a century brand flux core welder. Biggest pile ever. But it kept me busy.

Then one Christmas my adoptive parents got me a Lincoln welder after they saw me struggle with the first one. (Not sure most parents would get their daughter a welder as a gift but I am happy)

I soon after got the argon mix tank for it and it is so easy to do a "roll of dimes" with the gas.
It's so addicting, I wouldn't mind getting into TIG and aluminum welding.

So the 500 lost its first race, I'm blaming my tuner. I got the jump out if the hole but had a significant bog that gave @dagwoodspolara the win. I probably would have lost when easing up to go into third gear. A stronger transmission is now on the top of the list, right there with replacement springs. Phone died so no proof in court of any mishap. But I did miss saving photos of a 69 Barracuda Mod Top, a wicked 73 Charger all jacked up with big tires and a sweet 80's multi-stripe paint job, amongst others. There was a 1927 American Fire Apparatus fire truck from the local fire Dept, with all owners keeping the truck in the area since the city sold it in 2007(?). Big old Continental engine was cool to see. @68FuryI had his 2012 Charger taking all comers. We had a kid there @commando1 would have had a hemorage dealing with, but he might get it someday. Racing was had by many this year, more than last, even though the car count was down. The host put the Blues Brothers up on the shed and I got home ten hours after I got there, it wasn't a bad day at all.
What is amazing to me is that you attempted to race a C barge. You might need to rush the dart to life if you get too much of that racing bug.

What is amazing to me is that you attempted to race a C barge. You might need to rush the dart to life if you get too much of that racing bug.
It weighs, I don't know what it weighs, but after my tuner works on it, I can go to the scales at a grain elevator nearby and find out. But my gray car was 4030lbs last I weighed it, so I have a 383 vs 440, but I have buckets and console be a bench seat. Probably pretty close in weight.

The race last night was the C Body Showdown - Polara Challenge, my 66 500 against dagwoods 68. Now I'm 2-1 at the Slope, and considering the 68's engine gave up the ghost four days before last year's event, it was a happy loss. He even had a passenger, he must've hit the nitrous! :poke:

The racing bug? I've had that for a while, just not a racing car! I've raced every piece of garbage I've owned if the situation arose. TC3 vs gen 1 cavalier was quite the matchup. A friend has a trophy for the fastest car of our little friend network, but nobody ever has their cars going at the same time, see how he keeps the trophy?

What I need is another gearhead with a similar work schedule to manage me while working on my projects, I get distracted easily and make a 15 minute task take three hours, just from dinking around. Not quite that bad most days, but I've had some head scratchers as to how it took me so long, to do so little some day.

The fastest car I have ever owned was a 74 duster with a 360.

When I was in auto school they had a program where you could win scholarship money by bracket racing. I started with my adoptive dad's 69 Cuda 340 (original A56 Cuda that he has owned since he bought it as a used car in 1972) then the next season, I had the bug so we put the duster together and the duster which was originally a slant six with a later 70s 360, actually whooped the Cuda.

Then life got in the way of racing, I have not done it in like almost 10 years now, plus I don't have that particular duster anymore (Regret city)

I have never thought to race the 66 polara or the new 66 fury but it would interesting to see what they could do, now that you mention it.

I had a quarter mile timer app on my phone, it was fun even if it wasn't accurate. They gray car ran 14.10 consistently on my test patch. Once the car was pulling really hard and fast and the timer tricked itself and said I ran a 12.12, and I wasn't done yet! It was a faster run, but not that fast. This car has stolen all the parts it could from my Dart, why not steal the racing spirit as well?

A good welder is the best thing you can ever buy.

The power to melt metal with your semi bare hands is worth more than money.

I started out with a century brand flux core welder. Biggest pile ever. But it kept me busy.

Then one Christmas my adoptive parents got me a Lincoln welder after they saw me struggle with the first one. (Not sure most parents would get their daughter a welder as a gift but I am happy)

I soon after got the argon mix tank for it and it is so easy to do a "roll of dimes" with the gas.
It's so addicting, I wouldn't mind getting into TIG and aluminum welding.
More daughters should be invited into the garage... Kudos to your parents for supporting you getting into this.

A lot of men figure the garage is their domain alone, not so! I bought my wife a special birthday present a few years go - a full size cabinet sand blaster and she loved it. Once the car was done, she sold it and she bought a monster snow blower. Maybe I should look into getting her a welder and he could teach me how to use it.
:thumbsup:

We have video!

Not sure how. I'll work on it.
Shawn took the video, it's on Facebook Messenger, not sure how to get it here.
Poop, I'm having trouble viewing Facebook videos. Might have to venture over to the dark side...

Back