1968 LeBaron

Getting back to the windows....

I did this same fix on my car. I'm pretty happy with it. But not totally happy with it. It seems like there's a little jarring of the window at stop and start. One of the guys on the Imperial list said he went to Home Depot and found a little nylon puck in the hardware bins that matched the size of the original pucks really well, and used those.

Since the 7/16" nut (also known as the nut that goes on a 14-20 bolt) is also right there at Home Depot, you could use one of those to help find the right size nylon thingie if the pucks in your car are hopelessly disintegrated (mine were).

In reality, I will probably just use the nuts when I fix my other three windows because I have a pile of them at home like Matt does, but I do have dreams of being proactive and trying the nylon.

Just food for thought.

said he went to Home Depot and found a little nylon puck in the hardware bins that matched the size of the original pucks really well, and used those.
Yep. In the drawer marked Nylon Spacers or Nylon Standoffs.

Good luck with it - first order is to check out brakes. Those Budd disc brakes were terrific. Finding calipers / rotors can be a challenge, but they're out there. DuraBrake has put the rotors back into production, and the calipers are more available now. Those, and front end parts are your main hard-to-find replacement items.

General rule of thumb is NOT to assume that parts for other C-body Mopars (NY'ers, 300, etc.) interchange, more often than not - they don't.

Thanks,

Are the brake pads available anywhere in the aftermarket?

It has been a tough couple of weeks at work. but I hope to be able to be free enough tomorrow to move her from storage to my place. Helps that the snow is melting

She has been moved, I drove her out of the warehouse yesterday. Drives great. Stalls at idle if let to idle too long. A valve adjustment and a complete tune-up will take care of that. Unfortunately I did discover a rather major problem though. On the way home I filled her up with a fresh tank of fuel. The tank leaks like a seive. Does anyone know of a good source for a replacement tank?

68.jpg

68.jpg

Don't count on needing a new tank. If you truly "filled up", you're relying on 45 year old rubber gaskets at both the sending unit (unlikely because usually not disturbed) and the gas cap (likely). You'd be surprised what can slosh out on acceleration. My car came with a gas cap from a Pinto or something, and the gasket was long gone.

I don't think you'll find a replacement tank for the Imp, at least not an exact match. I can't remember if and what the difference is between a tank for a C body or if they even reproduce a C body tank? You can have the original cleaned out and lined but it ain't cheap. I've got a leaky sending unit gasket and I've had a hard time getting it sealed since putting a new sending unit in it. I need to mess with it before the season starts. It's driving me crazy that we haven't gotten any rain in weeks and the roads are still caked with now powdered salt.

I'm guessing since nowhere on that site does it say that there tanks are made in the USA that they are not so I'd invest that money in your original and have it lined. You should be running something in your fuel to counteract the ethanol anyway but having a liner installed in your tank will also be another line of defense against it.

I'm guessing since nowhere on that site does it say that there tanks are made in the USA that they are not so I'd invest that money in your original and have it lined. You should be running something in your fuel to counteract the ethanol anyway but having a liner installed in your tank will also be another line of defense against it.

You can always call them....

quant-products-logo.jpg

They are always at Carlisle and offer a 10% discount at the show.

Don't count on needing a new tank. If you truly "filled up", you're relying on 45 year old rubber gaskets at both the sending unit (unlikely because usually not disturbed) and the gas cap (likely). You'd be surprised what can slosh out on acceleration. My car came with a gas cap from a Pinto or something, and the gasket was long gone.

That was my first thought a well. until I lost about 17 gallons out of the 24 gallon tank. But I am going to pull it either way and find thew culprit.

Here you go.....

http://www.gastanks.com/Imperial/products/119/

Imperial Gas TanksYearDescriptionQuanta #1967 - 73Gas Tank, w/o VentCR-20A1967 - 73Gas Tank, w/ 2 VentsCR-20B1967 - 73Gas Tank, w/ 4 VentsCR-20C1974 - 75Gas TankCR-22A1990Gas TankCR-7A1991 - 93Gas TankCR-7B

Thanks, I will give them a call. see what is what

If it is salvagable, I will save it. I am not sure what I have gotten into just yet.

She has been moved, I drove her out of the warehouse yesterday. Drives great. Stalls at idle if let to idle too long. A valve adjustment and a complete tune-up will take care of that.

This will be interesting.... These motors have hydraulic lifters and do not have adjustments...
You could shim the rockers arms however unless you have a decent amount removed from the head surface not necessary ....

Hydraulic? I was not aware that they were. I should have assumed as much. Must be all of this small block A body work I am used to.

It has been tough finding time to get o the fuel leak. But we did get her out a bit along with her "little" sister 66 fury to make room in the driveway to replace a fuel pump on the 56 Olds 88.zzz.jpg

zzz.jpg

I drove mine for the first time this season and boy did it feel good!

I drove mine for the first time this season and boy did it feel good!

I couldnt agree more. Leak or not, still drove her. She just feels right. I was doing 45 down Pelham and it felt like I was going 25 because it was so smooth and Pelham Rd is a mess. GREAT car.

Well it looks like she will be sitting until next spring. I am out of commission with a separated elbow. How strange is it that the worst part of the injury is losing the ability to work on cars?

Back