1968 LeBaron

Well it looks like she will be sitting until next spring. I am out of commission with a separated elbow. How strange is it that the worst part of the injury is losing the ability to work on cars?
How the heck did you manage to do that?

Oh no Hemi, hate to hear this. Take care of that elbow. So disappointing after you found a new Mopar to love. It will wait for you though.

Hemi, sorry to hear this. Hope you'll still make some events and perhaps I'll run into you (not literally). I'm going to post something in the General section that may offer a clue why I haven't posted many '66 Imperial updates recently. However, work continues and I've fixed many more of the stupid little annoyance type problems. (Pretty much every dash light burned out, radio inop, etc.)

That is a nice looking ride. You have multiple electrical items not working. When you get a hold of a wiring diagram work backwards. Start at each item that doesn't work and trace back to power. If they all come into a common point start there. Electrical stuff can be frustrating if you're not patient.

How did I miss the last few posts, I was wondering why we haven't seen any updates on this car. Hope you heal quick and complete!

Thanks guys. I did take it to the Wilson Barn car show yesterday. I mean, torrential downpour on classic cars event. Kind of a mass carwash. Thank god for power steering driving with 1 arm

Thanks guys. I did take it to the Wilson Barn car show yesterday. I mean, torrential downpour on classic cars event. Kind of a mass carwash. Thank god for power steering driving with 1 arm
And automatic tranny. Hope you had some good clean fun (a little dry humor).

So I made it through surgery. It was ROUGH. And I am now part robot. Recovery is spring if everything goes well.

arm.jpg

With some help I have cone to the conclusion that the headlight switch is bad. Anyone got a working spare?
one of the POs also put in a second floor dimmer switch. I am not in any condition to trace the wires just yet. But I will. Dollars to Donuts it is rig job because the headlight switch failed.

some people.

arm.jpg

So I made it through surgery. It was ROUGH. And I am now part robot. Recovery is spring if everything goes well.

View attachment 63797

With some help I have cone to the conclusion that the headlight switch is bad. Anyone got a working spare?
one of the POs also put in a second floor dimmer switch. I am not in any condition to trace the wires just yet. But I will. Dollars to Donuts it is rig job because the headlight switch failed.

some people.
The second switch on the floor changes the radio stations.
Those x-Rays look crazy, what did you do again?? It's been a while. I hope you heal fast.

Thanks guys. I hope to set off metal detectors in airports and Red Wings games.

I was in a motorcycle accident. So I am just happy I am alive

What actually happened? I never had the urge to ride a Motorcycle. I can't imagine putting my life in the hands of all the idiots I feel like I'm constantly surrounded by on the roads.

Swerved to avoid a pothole and front-wheeled some loose gravel and went down on my elbow.

I love riding but there definitely are drawbacks. This is my second time down. 1st time should have killed me but I got lucky.

I hope you are back in action soon too. This is an interesting thread, as I have never owned a 66-68 Chrysler or Imperial.

How many miles on your LeBaron?

One issue that probably will not be very resolveable is the Autotemp I system. Parts for those are long gone, and they didn't work for long even when new. You might want to be thinking of doing some modifications to make it a manual operating system (bypass the Autotemp controls). But even that isn't so clear how to do. Those were the first of the first generation Autotemp units, so I am sure there were still many bugs in the design at that point. My 69 Le Baron 2 door has that system too, so I am thinking of taking out the dash and substituting a manual system complete from another donor car. The dash assemblies in the 67 - 68 cars in particular was pretty cramped, and with the number of accessories your car has, it will be a challenge to to work on it in the car in any case I would expect.

At least you have it running and driving now, if only a little. So you are on your way. Keep us informed. Good luck.

i owned two of these back in the 80s. i had about $500. in both. one was a lemo and was optioned out to the max. dummy me junked it to restore the one owner one. a year later the torsion bar broke and i couldn't locate one so i pulled the running gear and crushed it also. it wieghed over 2 tons with the running gear gone. my brother had this eng. till last year when he sold his 65 baracuda that he had put it in.this eng. had been in 5 cars when i had it . 2 challs a 70 charger, a 77 t-top cordova sleeper 8 sec. 1/8 mile car.the my bros. baracuda. mid 7s 1/8 mile car. a 430 block.

God speed to recoverey my friend

Thanks

I hope you are back in action soon too. This is an interesting thread, as I have never owned a 66-68 Chrysler or Imperial.

How many miles on your LeBaron?

One issue that probably will not be very resolveable is the Autotemp I system. Parts for those are long gone, and they didn't work for long even when new. You might want to be thinking of doing some modifications to make it a manual operating system (bypass the Autotemp controls). But even that isn't so clear how to do. Those were the first of the first generation Autotemp units, so I am sure there were still many bugs in the design at that point. My 69 Le Baron 2 door has that system too, so I am thinking of taking out the dash and substituting a manual system complete from another donor car. The dash assemblies in the 67 - 68 cars in particular was pretty cramped, and with the number of accessories your car has, it will be a challenge to to work on it in the car in any case I would expect.

At least you have it running and driving now, if only a little. So you are on your way. Keep us informed. Good luck.

I dont know the mileage to be honest. I definitely will be having to address the autotemp. I need to research why they break and find a reasonable resolution to their failure.

i owned two of these back in the 80s. i had about $500. in both. one was a lemo and was optioned out to the max. dummy me junked it to restore the one owner one. a year later the torsion bar broke and i couldn't locate one so i pulled the running gear and crushed it also. it wieghed over 2 tons with the running gear gone. my brother had this eng. till last year when he sold his 65 baracuda that he had put it in.this eng. had been in 5 cars when i had it . 2 challs a 70 charger, a 77 t-top cordova sleeper 8 sec. 1/8 mile car.the my bros. baracuda. mid 7s 1/8 mile car. a 430 block.

Oh no... so sad. a limo?

Back