1969 440 - Need to make a decision

Samplingman

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Ok, so I pulled this from the vert back in March. It's out of a 1969 300, E 440, cast date February 1969, build date March 21 1969. It spins free, 906 heads, 350 hp, pretty standard stuff. But, it's a 1969 motor. Originally I was going to rebuild it, and get the 1970 valve covers and air cleaner to make it "look" like a 1970. I know for some this is a useless argument, especially since the vert will never be "numbers matching", but it would always be in the back of my mind that it is an "E" motor and not an "F" motor. Question is, what would be a "date correct" motor for my vert built in June 1970? My 1970 parts car has the "F" motor, but it was built in October 1969, cast and assembled only a few months after the "E" motor in question. How far back could I go and still be "date correct"? Is there anything about 1969 440's that would make it more desirable than a 1970? And of course the age old question, what's it worth? What would you all l do?

The way I see it the VIN is not correct so it will never be numbers matching. Build the damn thing the way you want and don't obsess over it.... You'll feel better

I agree. The original 440 was robbed from my 68 T/C wagon. I had a complete 71 300 4dr parts car with a 440 in it. I dropped everything into the wagon and never looked back. I have a steel crank 72/73 440 that is going to be freshened up to replace the very tired 71.

At the end of the day it is still wrong, being the correct date will not make it any better. Someone down the road that cares if it is original or not will not see the difference. It is either the original engine or not.

If this was a pre 68 (and maybe 68) it would be a different story as those didn't have the VIN on them and the date code is good enough.

Alan

Yep. Don't get.jammed up on nonsense. .You have a very cool.300 vert sitting there, no one can say otherwise. Even cooler when it's done. .Enjoy it.

Thanks guys. So What's the difference between the 69 and 70, or does it not matter since it would be rebuilt to 70 specs?

Well um, I particularly like the 70' tail lights over the 69' but I like the 69' front end over the 70'. Go figure.

The original engine is gone... and that's that. You might come close with the build date, but it still won't be "matching numbers".

Build it like you want, and if you want, make it look correct. When you get that done, sit back and enjoy the car.

Thanks guys. So What's the difference between the 69 and 70, or does it not matter since it would be rebuilt to 70 specs?

I'd build it better than 70 specs ...c'mon man this is Jersey, over do it

Well um, I particularly like the 70' tail lights over the 69' but I like the 69' front end over the 70'. Go figure.

I think he was referring to the engine not the body

The way I see it the VIN is not correct so it will never be numbers matching. Build the damn thing the way you want and don't obsess over it.... You'll feel better

But obsess I do, that's why I need to talk about it!

I agree. The original 440 was robbed from my 68 T/C wagon. I had a complete 71 300 4dr parts car with a 440 in it. I dropped everything into the wagon and never looked back. I have a steel crank 72/73 440 that is going to be freshened up to replace the very tired 71.

If only this one was just a drop in, it's missing so many parts I'd still have to collect after the rebuild.

At the end of the day it is still wrong, being the correct date will not make it any better. Someone down the road that cares if it is original or not will not see the difference. It is either the original engine or not.

If this was a pre 68 (and maybe 68) it would be a different story as those didn't have the VIN on them and the date code is good enough.

Alan

Brutal, but so true. I'm not a purist by any stretch, but I like to be as correct as possible.

We are talking about the motor, pay attention man! LOL!

The original engine is gone... and that's that. You might come close with the build date, but it still won't be "matching numbers".

Build it like you want, and if you want, make it look correct. When you get that done, sit back and enjoy the car.

So much more to do before the enjoyment. My wife keeps asking me, "are you having fun yet?" Actually, yeah!

I'd build it better than 70 specs ...c'mon man this is Jersey, over do it

LOL! But this one is going all stock, I really want it to be like it was when it rolled off the assembly line.

James

I'd build the '69, no difference, absolutely none.

Brutal, but so true. I'm not a purist by any stretch, but I like to be as correct as possible.

Me too but in this case, it's not possible. 'Correct' is an absolute for engines. Your engine will never be 'correct' so a casting date off by a few months or a few years won't make a bit of difference. Start with the best core you can find regardless of the date.

I completely agree with that, build it as a 375 horse engine paint it orange and get the hp exhaust manifolds and dual snorkel air cleaner. Shoot with the money you save on using your current block and rotating assembly just slap on a set of stealth 440 source aluminum heads and paint them. I have a set on my charger rt and NO ONE ever catches them at shows as they look stock on the outside and exhaust manifolds bolt right up. Could not be happier with my set!

Cuts weight, little higher comp with better quench, and runs pump gas better plus hardened seats. They are less than a grand a set from 440 source completley assembled and ready to go. If you have to add hardened seats and new valves on your old heads you will be into those for close to half of what a brand new set of these will run.

Well now, Az for me. I prefer "NOTHING MATCHING" And here'z why. Unless you're going to spend all your time and copious(oui I like that word) amountz of money chasing a junior and then senior awardz from all the different concourse eventz to have worthless dust catcherz on cute little shelvez scattered around your den for all your friendz to see that really don't give a squat about 'um anyway. Please understand that you're really the only one who really givez ah ratz *** about your car. The people you meet along your journey with that car will remember you fondly and long after your car iz forgotten by those friendz 'n folkz, Jer

Well now, Az for me. I prefer "NOTHING MATCHING" And here'z why. Unless you're going to spend all your time and copious(oui I like that word) amountz of money chasing a junior and then senior awardz from all the different concourse eventz to have worthless dust catcherz on cute little shelvez scattered around your den for all your friendz to see that really don't give a squat about 'um anyway. Please understand that you're really the only one who really givez ah ratz *** about your car. The people you meet along your journey with that car will remember you fondly and long after your car iz forgotten by those friendz 'n folkz, Jer
You are a wise man...well said.

Nicely said, Jer.

Yeah, kinda sorta Stan. Still can't find that cartoon I wanna send yeah, but I'm still lookin' for it and I can hear it laughin. at me and callin' out HEY STUPID, I'M OVER HERE! That dam vortex thing followed us down here tho'! I walked to the dumpster this morning in ah T-shirt and that waz ah bad idea. Wife started laughing at me too when I came back inside. Said I had the weirdest lookin' blue lipz she'd ever seen and added that she never knew my nipplez were bigger then herz!

Back