1970 fusey dome light

Golden Banana

Reaction score
I desperately need one of these for my Newport, I'm sure someone gave me a,lead from this forum but i cant find the thread!!......they were around $50 from wherever it was!?! Hope you can help......again.

Fusey?

I guess Fusey is a hip word for fuselage? I have a 1970 Fury dome light. Is this what you mean?

DSCN8027.jpgDSCN8029.jpg

DSCN8027.jpg

DSCN8029.jpg

I think there were two different designs looking very similar. The one pictured above has that tiny lever switching on the light and moving the shade, thus the thing acts as a map light. I think it was part of the Light Package on Furys.

Not sure, but I think on Chryslers (having a dash-mounted map light come standard) the dome light was simpler, just a housing and lens:
1971-73%20Ply%20D%20Chry%20Dome%20Lamp%20Assy.JPG

Probably, the two types are interchangeable.

OK.... I presumed the top was a 71 and the other was a 70... I have never owned a 70 hardtop to know the difference. Yet I see it says 72 on the box

My 71 Sport Fury has the one with the lever/map light, my 71 Chrysler 300 has the simple one (despite coming with Light Package) and I believe that's all original.

Looks like either lamp assembly can substitute for the other. Just a matter of availability and choice. Wiring should be the same for all of them. Any additional functions in the `map light' versions would likely be handled internally to the lamp itself.

kmccabe56, you're probably right.

But now that polara71 mentioned it, I think the lamp in a 1971 and 1972 Chrysler would look almost identical to the one depicted above with the map light (i. e. also have that ribbed lens and the bulb in one corner) but have a solid metal part without hole or lever. Should be P/N 3488504, but that would not fit the design pictured in the post above (yet it has that number on the box beside it).

According to the parts book, P/N 2947928 is correct for a 1969 and 1970 Chrysler. That would be the "milky lens" design with a centrally located bulb:

$(KGrHqJHJEkFDK-+5)NfBQ4zD0Qd4w~~60_57.JPG

!Bp2-iSQB2k~$(KGrHqUH-CUEuOkD5jMEBLtNtFZYMg~~_1.JPG

I can't see much difference between that one and the type depicted in the postings above with its box stating "3488504".

Last edited:
kmccabe56, you're probably right.

But now that polara71 mentioned it, I think the lamp in a 1971 and 1972 Chrysler would look almost identical to the one depicted above with the map light (i. e. also have that ribbed lens and the bulb in one corner) but have a solid metal part without hole or lever. Should be P/N 3488504, but that would not fit the design pictured in the post above (yet it has that number on the box beside it).

According to the parts book, P/N 2947928 is correct for a 1969 and 1970 Chrysler. That would be the "milky lens" design with a centrally located bulb:

$(KGrHqJHJEkFDK-+5)NfBQ4zD0Qd4w~~60_57.JPG

!Bp2-iSQB2k~$(KGrHqUH-CUEuOkD5jMEBLtNtFZYMg~~_1.JPG

I can't see much difference between that one and the type depicted in the postings above with its box stating "3488504".

Me either. One thing I've learned the hard way, many, many times, is that when you're dealing with liquidated NOS dealer stock, you have no way of knowing if the part in the box actually matches up to the information on the box itself. You could also be dealing with superseded stock, where Chrysler introduces one part as an upgrade/replacement/substitution for another. I would guess that until you could see several examples of the contents of the boxes with both part numbers, it wouldn't be possible to say anything for sure one way or the other.

I think there were two different designs looking very similar. The one pictured above has that tiny lever switching on the light and moving the shade, thus the thing acts as a map light. I think it was part of the Light Package on Furys.

Not sure, but I think on Chryslers (having a dash-mounted map light come standard) the dome light was simpler, just a housing and lens:
1971-73%20Ply%20D%20Chry%20Dome%20Lamp%20Assy.JPG

Probably, the two types are interchangeable.
A simple dome light from a 72 new Yorker with no switch was a perfect fit in my 69 Fury .

There is a 3rd type, just like the first one but without the switch, just the tin cover (and no hole).

Alan

Looked into a 1971 Chrysler and a 1973 Chrysler today, both have the simple style (no switch) and milky lens (no tin cover) as pictured above. Both are believed to be original.

Back